PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spinach Dip recipe?

heidis2girls
12-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Does anyone have a good spinach dip recipe? I'm hosting a family party on Sunday and would like to have it for an appetizer.

Also, how do you serve your spinach dip? Do you take the middle out of a sourdough round and cut up the bread to dip into the dip, or do you use crackers?

TIA!

dowlinal
12-14-2004, 05:51 PM
The recipe I use is
1 pkg knorr vegetable dip
1 carton sour cream
1 c. mayo
1 pgk frozen chopped spinach - thawed and drained

You just mix and let it sit for a few hours. I serve it in either a sour dough bread or a pumpernickel and I always buy an extra loaf of bread that I cut up into cubes

HTH!

Java
12-14-2004, 05:59 PM
I know it's cheating, but we use the Knorr's spice pack for our spinach dip. It's FANTASTIC and always requested at every party.

Use the Vegetable spice packet NOT the spinach dip packet. I know, it's weird but trust me, it's great. The recipe is on the back of the box.

1 cup mayo
16 oz sour cream
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and water squeezed out
1 packet Knorr Vegetable dip
3 green onions, chopped
1 can water chestnuts, chopped

Mix all together and sit in fridge for 2 hours for flavor to set.

I serve it on a dip bowl/platter and spread pretzel squares and bread around. I always have both available but the pretzels are always eaten up first.

jec2
12-14-2004, 06:06 PM
If your recipe is the one on the back of the Knorr's packet, that is what I use too. And, yes, do buy an extra loaf of bread, that's what we do too :)

mudder17
12-14-2004, 06:56 PM
I concur. I just made this one and it was great! But this one is also pretty awesome if you're looking for a hot dip. It's also not as salty as the other one:

Spinach & artichoke dip

1 cup mozzarella
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesean
1 clove of garlic, minced (note I put more garlic than this)
1 can artichoke (14 oz)
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
black pepper

In slow cooker for 2 hours

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

HGraceMom
12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
I make the same recipe, but without the green onions - it's fantastic. - and serve it either with bread or carr's or schuler's crackers - yummy. I only put half out at a time - I think it tastes better very cold (and hate to have mayo sitting out anyway.)

iujen94
12-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Here's another vote for the Knorr's vegetable soup mix recipe! But, one suggestion that I have is to use Hawaiian bread instead of sourdough - I forget the company that makes it, but it comes in an orange and brown package and they usually have it at all grocery stores in the bakery section. It's slightly sweet and is YUMMY with spinach dip. It comes in a round, so you can cut out the middle and cut up the middle part that you take out to use as dippers. Plus they also sell Hawaiian bread rolls, which you can buy for extra bread to use.

JMS
12-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Honestly, this is one of my most favorite appetizers I make.. a little different then what you asked for though.

WARM SPINACH DIP:
Ingredients:
1 package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
1 cup mayo
4 oz whipped cream cheese
1 1/2 cup parm. cheese, shredded (not grated)
1 small onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Directions:
saute onion and garlic in olive oil
mix all other ingredients and add sauted onion and garlic
bake at 425 for 20 minutes in an ungreased pan

I like to serve with Triskets or some other good cracker

Buffys Mommy
12-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Here's one my friend turned me onto. It is incredible. She eats it with triscuits as she's on South Beach, but I love it with bread too.

1 can (13 ½ oz.) artichoke hearts
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and moisture squeezed out
2 cups low-fat mayonnaise
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed;
paprika

Drain and chop artichoke hearts. Combine artichokes with spinach, mayo, cheese and garlic in a large casserole. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 325° for 50 to 60 minutes.

If I'm serving just spinach dip, I hollow out a sourdough round to serve it and buy an extra loaf to cut up. I also love spinach dip with Wavy Lays. YUMMY.

Tammie
Momma to Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Tondi G
12-15-2004, 12:51 AM
NO recipe... sounds like you have quite a few to choose from anyways. But I did want to say that when my mom makes it she cuts up a baguette (sp?) for dipping. A lot of restaurants around here that serve spinach artichoke dip serve it with white corn tortilla chips as well!

Good luck

~Tondi

August Mom
12-15-2004, 04:32 AM
If you want an even easier idea, the spinach dip from TGI Fridays is very good. You can buy it in the frozen foods section. I like spinach dip with tortilla chips.