PDA

View Full Version : How long can I stay dilated at three centimeters???

JLiebCamm
12-14-2004, 11:34 PM
So I had my first internal exam today (36 weeks) and the midwife said that I was 75% effaced and 3 cm dilated. Then she said, "There's a good chance that you'll be having a 2004 baby". Now I know from others' experience that you can go around for weeks dilated at 3, so I'm not exactly packing my bags. But since I never saw 3 cm until I was well into labor with Nate, this is very exciting. So I'm just curious, for those of you who dilated early, how long did it go on for? Do you think there's still a good chance that I'll make it to my due date? (Which wouldn't be a bad thing with all the crazy holiday plans, believe me.)

RwnMayfair
12-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Hmmm, I spent about two weeks at three centimeters, maybe three. (I don't remember if it was two or three weeks before Taran was born that my midwife told me I was 3 centimeters.) Taran was also a week late though. ;)

But as my midwife would point out pretty much everytime I saw her, "You could go into labor tonight, or he could be late. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying." That's probably not very helpful for you, but hopefully things will work out well for you! Here's wishing you perfect timing for the baby. ;)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

kthomp
12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
I was 3cm and 100% effaced forever. Well, it felt like forever to me that is! :)

I had my first internal at 37 or 38 weeks and nothing changed until I went into labor the day after my due date. So for me, it meant nothing. The door was open but she just didn't want to leave! But I know it is different for everyone.

ShayleighCarsensMom
12-15-2004, 12:32 AM
I was 100% and 3cm at 36 weeks...and I begged and begged to be induced 4 days shy of 42...
Sorry for the bad news!
But the good news:
Once I did go into labor, it was an hour and a half from the first contraction to the last...
So at least your body is ready!

macassi
12-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Sorry, I agree with the PPs. I was at 3cm from 36 weeks on, and my PA (physician's assistant) kept telling me that I'd go early. My doctor even went so far at two weeks early to reassure me that he was on call that weekend. I did eventually end up delivering early, but no where near as early as anticipated -- and I honestly think that I would have delivered later if I was pschyed by the comments. I started having regular contractions, but they weren't painful. I rushed to the hospital because I was worried that I was already starting at 3cm. Of course, no much happened. My doctor ended up putting me on pitocin to speed things along, but I wonder what would have happened had I ignored the contractions and stayed home.

JLiebCamm
12-15-2004, 06:39 AM
I really don't want baby to come until the new year. It will allow the craziness of the holidays to die down and let me get focused on the big event. The only bummer is the tax deduction that I would miss. I do like the post about the faster labor and delivery, though. With Nate it went on for 23 hours. I'm ready for a fast one!

ismommy
12-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Hi Jessica,
I cant believe you are at 3. I wonder which of us will go first?
I was at 3 cm for weeks with Bella so it could still be awhile yet. This one no dilation which has me bummed but I am still hoping X will come soon
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

nov02mom
12-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Hi Jessica- I was at 3cm for about a month! You may miss that tax deduction yet!!!
Kristen

brigmaman
12-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Me too. Weeks...

zuzu
12-15-2004, 08:51 AM
I was at 2-3 centimeters for at least three weeks, and Sarah was almost two weeks late.
Wishing you ideal timing and a much shorter labor this time!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

rrosen
12-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Jessica,
My story is different from PPs. I dilated more each week after my first internal exam at 36 weeks. At my 39(39w 1day) week appointment I was about 4 cent. I went into labor the next day and was 5.5 cent when I got to the hospital. I delivered Gabrielle 5 days early and had a quick labor and delivery. So, your early dilation could mean that the little one could make a 2004 appearance.

Tori_s mom
12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Well I was 2-3 cm from 36 weeks on. In week 39-40, my doc stripped my membranes. I got up to 4 cm. The night before my scheduled induction (week 41), I started having contractions. I was admitted at 6 cm. I was at ten and pushing about 4-5 hrs later. Unfortunately, after hours of pushing, I had to have a c-section. But I did make it all the way to ten cms without pitocin pretty quickly once the contractions started. Good luck with whatever baby decides to do!!!

Tasha

Tori (3/11/04)

lmintzer
12-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Not sure re: your question. But just a little reassurance in case you do go soon: my second was born at 35 weeks and 6 days (so even a few days before you are now) and did really well! He was over 5 lbs. and left the hospital with me! : ) So "happy new baby" whenever baby decides to come.

McQ
12-15-2004, 10:22 AM
I went from 1 cm at 33 weeks to 4 cm at 36 weeks. By 36 weeks they were seeing me 2 times a week and were surprised each time I made it back into the office and started to push for me to be induced (I had a fast labor last time). They induced me at 37 weeks and after 2 hours on pitocin, nothing, nada. They borke my water and I went from 4 cm to 10 cm in twenty minutes and Meghan was out 4 pushes later.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

lizajane
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
better news from me!! my schedule was:
36 weeks-75% effaced
37 weeks-90% effaced, -2 station
38 weeks- 95% effaced, 2cms dialated, 0 station
38 weeks, 6 days-delivered in 11 hours (did have some pitocin but went into labor on my own) with about 1/2 hour to 45 min of pushing
i was 3cms when i got to the hospital.

also, i had major cramping and tons of braxton hicks from tuesday to saturday (schuyler was born on a sunday) and bloody show appeared on friday.

cvharris
12-15-2004, 02:01 PM
>Jessica,
>My story is different from PPs. I dilated more each week
>after my first internal exam at 36 weeks. At my 39(39w 1day)
>week appointment I was about 4 cent. I went into labor the
>next day and was 5.5 cent when I got to the hospital. I
>delivered Gabrielle 5 days early and had a quick labor and
>delivery. So, your early dilation could mean that the little
>one could make a 2004 appearance.
>

This is almost exactly our story! Ben was born only 2 days early, though.

I guess you never know when they'll be ready to come out. :)

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

asha
12-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I was 100% effaced and 5 cms dilated for a little over 3 weeks. Every time I saw my doctor, she and the nurses in the clinic would go " Oh you are still pregnant?" It did seem like it was forever.

Finally one week before he was due DS was born. I was alseep till 1 at night. Then I woke up with very slight contractions. Went to the restroom. By then I was bleeding. So, woke up DH and got to the hospital at 1.55am. I was 9.5 dilated by then. The first thing I heard from the nurse was "Start pushing dear". Sure enough 2.34 DS was born. No time to think of epidural or anything else.

I agree with most of the pps though. Labor gets pretty simple after extended effacement and dilation.

Good luck!!