PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Canon PowerShot A75...delay problem

deborah_r
12-15-2004, 12:46 PM
My Canon PowerShot A75 drives me a little crazy because there is such a delay from one I press the button to when it takes the picture. If anyone else has this camera, so you know if there is any way to reduce the delay?

slknight
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't have that camera, but I do have the exact same problem with my Sony. I just thought that was one of the limitations of digital cameras. <shrugging> I can't tell you how many good shots I've missed of Alex because he's moved before it has actually taken the picture. Drives me nuts! I'll be interested in hearing the answers.

lukkykatt
12-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I have a Canon - but not sure of the model. There is an "action" button that you can set it to so that there is less of a delay. On our camera, the setting on the dial looks like a man running - see if you have that.

ellies mom
12-15-2004, 01:08 PM
One thing that causes that delay is focusing. What I do with my camera is to prefocus. I push the button halfway to focus it and then hold it. I wait for DD to do something darling and then push the button the rest of the way.

amp
12-15-2004, 02:06 PM
We have the Canon A70 and have the same issue. It is a pain sometimes, but necessary for focusing, recharging the flash and red eye reduction crap. The action thing someone mentioned is something we do use when there's plenty of light and we dont' want to wait for that dang pause.

ktdid74
12-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I do the same thing- push the button halfway and then push all the way when ready. I still get some very strange shots for some reason but at least it cuts down on the delay.

egoldber
12-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Some delay is inevitable with point and shoot digital cameras.

Have you changed the battery lately? If its been awhile, I find that the shutter lag on my camera gets much worse when the battery is low. Also, its worse when I use it in low light conditions and the flash has to wrok harder to re-charge between shots.

HTH,

deborah_r
12-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Well, I was spoiled because I used to use DH's Digital Rebel which didn't have a delay, but then he "gifted" me with this one since I always complained the Rebel was too big and heavy. I should have just kept my big mouth shut!

muszy
12-15-2004, 03:39 PM
We just picked up the A75 last week after our A80 took an unfortunate fall of of the countertop onto the hardwood floor.

There is a delay, common to all basic digital cameras. Prefocusing is always a good way to lessen the delay. I have also found that pressing all the way down and releasing once or twice is rapid succession can override the autofocus and get the camera to act sooner. When shooting at a typical 6-10 foot range, the focus is usually "good enough".

Also, just try taking lots of pictures in one sitting. Professional photographers often only keep 1 of every 10 photos they take. After the fun is over, you can go back and delete the pics that didn't turn out quite as you'd hoped.

Good Luck.