PDA

View Full Version : When you are desperate from something sweet, what do you eat?

papal
12-15-2004, 01:58 PM
This is a dangerous question i suppose.
We don't keep any snacks at home at all (salty or sweet) or any boxed stuff to make something quickly. So on an afternoon like this when I MUST have a chocolate chip cookie, I am coming up short.
The only thing I have is toast with strawberry jelly. I guess I could bake some cookies from scratch but my craving will be long gone by then. My other option is yogurt with sugar. blech.
My last option is a fruit. But I am craving sugar sweetness and not healthy fruit sweetness. Stinkin fruit.

Do you have any quick and dirty snack secrets?

aliceinwonderland
12-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Tough one...when I get the sweet craving (often enough, no pregnancy weight lost and Erik is heading to college, but whatever ;)) I usually crave something VERY specific (say, Hagen Daas ice cream, such flavor, or, cheseecake brownie from Cosi's, or chewey chocolate chip from Starbucks, or, canolli from the North End (this is when we were back in Boston...).

I am very mean and usually make DH drive till he finds the desired object (only becuase I don't drive, ;) Or, if I'm at school, I brave the cold and walk out to the desired store, reminding myself that sugar is needed for mental alertness. LOL :)

ETA: If I was in your situation (and DH was far far away), I would make the cookies, but eat the dough. YUM!
ETA2: Now I crave ALL of the aforementioned things. Thanks, Rashmi :)
(off to Cosi's I go)

papal
12-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Cheescake brownie from Cosi. Wah!!! Why Eri Why? I have been nothing but nice to you and yet you mention the cheescake brownies from Cosi. <crying silent tears at the prospect of toast-jam>

Lauraford
12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
How 'bout chocolate milk?

OK, I don't know HOW I'd LIVE without some snacks in the house!

My fav are chocolate chip cookies, but to prevent me from eating too many at a time I get a prepackaged tube (but those flat, already cut sets would work better) and divide the tube into portions --no bigger than 3 cookies would be. I pop all those divided sections in bags and store them in our freezer. When I can't help it, I cook one bag (just a couple cookies) in my toaster oven so I don't overindulge.

Just my way...I'll be watching for other snacky ideas!

Thanx!

McQ
12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
What I've started doing though for my cookie craves is keep a package of the premade Nestle squares in the fridge. Then when I want one, I scoop out some dough and cook 1 (or 2) in the toaster oven. Gives me a fix in 9 minutes!

Be sure to get the Nestle dough. The Pillsbury is nasty!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

papal
12-15-2004, 02:18 PM
How are you so disciplined to just make 1 or 2???? If we ever got those, we would make 2 and then 2 more and then 2 more and then they were all gone. And this was all in the matter of one hour.
<james bought low fat strawberry jam. WHO DOES THAT? beatings when he comes home, that is for sure>

trentsmom
12-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Here's my dirty little secret snack: a spoonful of peanut butter with chocolate chips on top. Mmmm. I especially like it using Ghirardelli chips since they have a nice "snap" when you bite them.

psophia17
Toast with butter and sugar - my mom gave that to us when we were little if we were sick, and it's become a staple comfort food/sugar fix for me, especially because we always have the necessary supplies on hand.

While PG, I needed maple walnut cream cheese (in lieu of cheesecake, which I was picky about and often couldn't get the kind I wanted), strawberry NesQuick, and chocolate milk.

egoldber
I also don't keep treats in the house, because I am completely incapable of not eating the whole box or batch if I do. I have ZERO willpower.

When I need something sweet, I eat sugar free Jello. 10 calories per serving and I have 2 or 3. :)

I have been known, when totall desperate, to eat some of Sarah's Fig Newmann's. They aren't bad (if you like Fig Newton, and DD likes them a lot) but not something that I am tempted to eat the whole box.

pritchettzoo
12-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Put an outfit on Leela (to coordinate with your underpants) and go to a bakery! Go! Get a cheesecake brownie of your very own. Get one for me too--only you also have to eat it for me because chocolate is not staying down these days (oh, the cruelty).

I used to have a big batch of frozen cookie dough in the freezer. Peanut butter and chocolate chip. I made a double batch and then dropped dough with a small scooper onto a sheet pan, froze that, then dropped the frozen cookie bits into a zipper bag. There were tons of cookies in our freezer, and then DH left the door open. This was right before Gracie was born. It was a huge mess, and I haven't had the energy to do it again. But it was nice to make fresh, hot cookies at a moment's notice. And be able to only make a few at a time, so we didn't feel obligated to eat dozens at once. ;)

What about cinnamon sugar toast? I like it with brown sugar better than white, but it's good both ways. You could also keep Nutella in the pantry for a quick chocolate fix. It's perfectly acceptable to eat straight out of the jar. :P

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

papal
12-15-2004, 02:22 PM
SHE IS NAPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAKE UP LEELA! WE NEED TO RUN OUT AND GET SOME CHEESCAKE!!!!!!!!!! YOUR MAMA IS GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: AlSO, like Beth, i have ZERO will power when it comes to snacks in the house. So those batches of cookies would not last for us like they are supposed to.. no no no... they would be gone in a day!!! Yes, i might as well eat 4 sticks of butter.

We don't keep Peanut Butter or Nutella due to aforesaid lack of will power. My poor hubby, he has so much willpower but has to sacrifice for me.

papal
12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
If I HAD chocolate chips in the pantry, believe me, they would have all been eaten by now!!!
The only kind of nuts that remain are PEANUTS that taste yucky when not cooked. And we don't have peanut butter. :(

pritchettzoo
12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Do you mean low sugar jam? All of it would be low fat. Don't beat the man. I bet he just picked one with a pretty strawberry picture on the front. If you have fruit, you could make a quick cobbler/betty thing--like a baked apple with sugar, butter, and flour crumbles on top? Would that do? I know you have bananas--saute them in butter and brown sugar for a faux Bananas Foster. Liquor flambe optional...

Anna

papal
12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
LOL Beth.. i see you now.. sneaking into Sarah's snack stash. I have never tasted these Fig Newton thingies.. maybe i should give it a shot.

<I have a mouthful of cheerios right now. This is the only 'snack' we have>

papal
12-15-2004, 02:28 PM
FAUX BANANA FOSTER!!! You are brilliant girl!!! I have brown sugar and butter and bananas!!!! WOOOHOOO!

ETA:
Yummmy!!! I fried bananas in butter with brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. YUMMY. they would be better with some vanilla ice-cream but we don't have any. Thanks Anna!!!
Also, i must hunt down the person who left brown sugar box open because it was a brick. I had to beat it to get some small pieces of brown sugar to flake off.

trentsmom
12-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Too bad you don't have any choc chips. When you said you were thinking about making cookie dough from scratch, I automatically assumed "choc chip cookies" because that's what I always make! I hope you find your sweet snack soon.

JFC
12-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Rashmi you must be my sugar-loving soul sister! Last week I really did make three - eat three - make three more... scary isn't it!

I have to agree w/ a PP on the chocolate milk! It saves me, especially if I splurge and use DS's whole milk - I think the fat helps to satisfy the craving. On the same note, pudding is great and quick!

trentsmom
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Mmmm - Nutella straight out the jar. I haven't had that in a long time! I like World Market's brand of chocolate-hazelnut spread. I think it tastes better than Nutella brand.

Lauraford
12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
When I run out of snacks I just get desperate and badly creative!

OK, have you ever been so groovin' for chocolate you've mixed chocolate sauce (hershey's syrup) and whipped cream?

JFC
12-15-2004, 02:44 PM
YUM! Sam and I might be heading over to WM later today! ;-)

papal
12-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Girlie, you are way ahead of me. We have neither the hershey's syrup or whipped cream because I have NO self-control.

aliceinwonderland
12-15-2004, 02:49 PM
We buy it by the HUGE 2 jar packs at Costco. Chocolate must be bought at wholesale prices in our household...Bad, bad, Eri!

papal
12-15-2004, 02:50 PM
No.. it would have been a very sad cookie dough indeed. No choc chips, no nuts. Just sugar, butter and flour.
I am having hot Banana foster as we speak...yummmmmmmmm.

papal
12-15-2004, 02:52 PM
My bad. It tastes nasty.

steph2003
12-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Anyone heard of Nips? they are hard caramel candies w/different fillings. My faves are the ones with chocolate filling but they also make a peanut butter one. A couple of those candies are usually enough to take the edge off w/o doing too much damage to the waistline. Of course the key is only 1 or 2....and now my Walgreens isn't carrying them anymore so the hunt is on so I can stock up.

dowlinal
12-15-2004, 02:59 PM
If I kept any sweets whatsoever in my household I would eat them. Last week I seriously considered eating one of Madeline's earth's best teething biscuits because I was so desparate. I have actually made butter cream frosting because I needed something chocolate and sweet. This may be why I gained 60 lbs with Madeline. Fortunately I have now lost all of that baby weight - unfortunately I now need to lose another 60 lbs that can't be blamed on Madeline hence the need to keep all sweets and bread out of my house. If you get a cookie or brownie please have a bite for me.

McQ
12-15-2004, 03:00 PM
So I guess I shouldn't tell you that I'm enjoying a yummy See's chocolate lolly pop right now :) They are another one of fixes.

Allison

rrosen
12-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Rashmi-
I am coming late to this conversation so by now your craving may be long gone but, here are my suggestions for low cal sugar/salty fixes:
Smart Pop Kettle Corn Microwave popcorn (in the single serve bags if you can find them) this takes care of both the sweet and salty craving at one time, Swiss Miss Diet Hot Chocolate with Calcium, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (I like the mint and chocolate ones best), and fat free chocolate pudding ( I like the kind you cook because I like it warm best)

HTH!

kensjen
12-15-2004, 03:06 PM
"Last week I seriously considered eating one of Madeline's earth's best teething biscuits because I was so desparate"

LMAO! That cracked me up! It is so funny how a lot of us don't buy the bad snacks, because we don't trust ourselves. And then, we are scrambling around looking for some magic mixture, hehe. I have to remember some of these ideas....

pritchettzoo
12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Stick the brown sugar and a slice of bread in a big ziploc or a container of some sort. It will soften back up (just don't forget to remove the bread in a couple of days or it will get green and furry and then you're really screwed).

I'm glad it was yummy, and it definitely would be better with ice cream! :)

Anna

Vajrastorm
12-15-2004, 03:17 PM
I think I would die!!!

I am sitting here trying to imagine have no chocolate around ... no treats ... nothing at all....

I can't imagine it. My brain stops.

You are all either crazy or admirable. Maybe both? :P

mharling
12-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Just one spoonful? :P

My new favorite choc chips are the ones from Trader Joe's. Mmmm, I think I know what I'm having when I get up from my nap. :)

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

egoldber
12-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Um, thats pretty much all you need to make sugar cookies my dear. :) Add some vanilla, salt and baking powder and call it a cookie!

ETA: They are especially good with some cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top!

lisams
12-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm having a huge craving for something sugary and right now my options are a pedialyte popsicle or gerber banana puffs :-( I vowed to keep sweets out of the house and now I'm desperate for something!! We just might have to get dessert tonight if I can make it that long!

Lisa

Lauraford
12-15-2004, 03:47 PM
I second that motion! No chocolate = No good! More power to you if you can go without...but I'd be in a corner in the fetal position (no pun intended!) without a choc fix.

Of course, I have been so desperate I've opened a box of brownie mix and poured some into a mug, added a little water, viola! Without the oil, it's GOT to be healthy, right?

Oh, and who hasn't eaten hot chocolate mix plain (with a spoon, no water.)

OK, maybe I have a problem...but the first step is admitting it right?

trentsmom
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Oh, no. Just one spoonful to start!

I'll have to check out Trader Joe's chips the next time I venture near one.

janeybwild
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Ughm...I open up the Christmas parcel from my parents and eat all 6 Curly Whirly bars. Did I say that out loud? :)

Corie
12-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I am a sugar-addict !!

My husband laughed when I had to take the gestational diabetes test when I was pregnant. He said that my body only functions when there is a glucose overdose. He is probably right!

I love love love the chocolate coated Entenmans doughnuts. I keep them in the refrigerator so the chocolate is hard. I used to wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the doughnuts. So, I would get up at 2am, eat a doughnut, drink a huge glass of milk, and go back to bed.

When my husband got up in the morning, he would find crumbs all over the kitchen counter and the chocolate pieces stuck to my face.

Yum!! Nothing better than a good night's sleep after you just stuffed your face with a chocolate doughnut!

Corie

pritchettzoo
12-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Well, crap--now I want their chocolate doughnuts with the little chocolate rabbit poop shaped things on top. I haven't had those since I dated a guy in college whose sister lived right next to an Entenmann's outlet store. Now that would be a dangerous place to live!

Anna

jubilee
12-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I think the moderators should lock this thread! LOL All these wonderful suggestions are BAD, BAD, BAD! :9

ALLEYCAT
12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
I know I am late on the craving issue but I will add a suggestion to those coming in late like me. I add a spoonful of jam, honey, or brown sugar and plenty of butter to plain old oatmeal. That will tide me over untill I can make some oatmeal cookies. Or rice pudding.

chlobo
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I like a nice pan of Ghiradelli Chocolate Brownies, of course!

Seriously, my new favorite is Lindt chocolate. They have these little chocolate squares in different varieties. I find that one square is a nice treat when I need something sweet.

crayonblue
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I can't keep any sugary snacks in our house. We go through a pan of brownies in 2 days max. Ben & Jerry's ice cream lasts one evening. The two bags of M&M's I bought to put out in cute Christmas dishes are almost gone.

So, when I am dying for sugar, I make cinnamon toast with butter and brown sugar. Or, I make hot chocolate. I can keep that in the house because neither DH nor I are big fans. I wish I had more willpower, but I don't!

Sometimes, I just send DH to the store to get something sweet. He NEVER says no to a grocery store run for sweets!

Marisa6826
12-15-2004, 07:36 PM
BROWNIES!!

I also have a huge stash of Hershey bars. While preggo I had at least one every day for dessert after dinner. :P

I'm also big fan of those slice and bake cookies. We used to ALWAYS have them in the house, but lately I've been better about that.

Girlie, Dunkin Donuts has drive throughs ;) :P

-m

jec2
12-15-2004, 08:37 PM
I usually don't keep snacks like that in home either. But, when I crave sweet, I usually do what you do, yogurt, toast with jam or recently I've been buying pudding. Yum :) And, it's kind of healthy, I think.

When I crave salty, I make popcorn with butter, salt, and grated parmesan.

jec2
12-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Oh, and we also buy Tofutti Cutie's :) Soy ice cream sandwiches!

cinrein
12-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Coming in on this way late. This post was hilarious! And I admire the willpower on this board. Count me in the club that can't have treats in the house, else I whittle away at them until they are no more.

I am a fan of the spoonful of PB with chocolate chips. I can keep chocolate chips in the house. :)

Rashmi when I'm having one of those days where I HAVE to have something, I just go to Starbucks, Panera or whatever and buy a damn cookie. It's better than making something that will have me eating an entire batch, or buying something and have me eating the whole box. Craving taken care of and the damage is minimal. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

papal
12-16-2004, 08:05 AM
>Last week I seriously considered eating one of Madeline's earth's best teething biscuits >because I was so desparate.

Muhahahahaha. I know EXACTLY what you mean girl.. that is why there are no teething biscuits here either. Cheerios. A mouthful of tasteless cheerios is all I can eat in times of super desperation.

papal
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey Lisa,
Just checking to make sure you didn't eat either the popsicle or the banana puffs. Neither sound terribly appetizing! :)

McQ
12-16-2004, 09:39 AM
I love Dove chocolate bars! And their ice cream bars are the bomb! THICK dark chocolate over the ice cream. It's devine!!!

Allison

lisams
12-16-2004, 11:55 AM
No, I just couldn't do it :-) I ended up having an apple, but DH brought home some "yogurt" covered pretzels from a cookie exchange at his work that tasted suspiciously like white chocolate, but yogurt sounds healthier so I'm sticking to that!!

I'm not doing so good with keeping sweets out of the house!!

Lisa

luvbeinmama
12-17-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm typing this without reading the vast majority of responses.

Chocolate milk is good. Or how about straight chocolate chips? You probably have them on hand for baking cookies. And really, when are you going to get around to that? Of course, that's for when there is absolutely nothing else sweet in the house ;)

pixelprincess
12-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Pepperidge farm cookes!
Hagan Daaz Mango icecream or Mango Kulfi or Godiva icecream- there is a chocolatey one with raspberies or something that is yummy!

I have to plan ahead a bit, as I don't have sweets on hand too...

Misha412
12-17-2004, 09:38 AM
I can't believe I'm admitting this, but.....

1) I keep a can of Betty Crocker frosting in the back of the fridge at all times. A spoonful of that goes a long way!

2) In times of desperation, I've made my own frosting by beating butter & confectioner's sugar with some cocoa...heaven!

3) I've been known to melt Hershey kisses in the micro, then add a spoonful of peanut butter and mix it all up. Sticky, but yummy...

4) This summer I stole a jar of Gavin's "Tropical Fruit Custard" and ate it in the bathroom so my DH wouldn't see.

Hard to believe I lost all my baby weight with habits like these, huh?
Rashmi, I'm with you....sometimes the cravings just CANNOT be denied!

Michele
Mommy to Gavin, 12/4/03