PDA

View Full Version : What is the etiquette on letters of resignation?

Saartje
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
DH gets to resign from his current position, with a new job starting 4 January. He's already given his immediate supervisor his two-week notice verbally; I'm just wondering if he should also write a formal letter of resignation to the next up in the chain of authority (who has already written him an email demanding to know if this is true).

What do you think?

Oh, and... Woohoo! Our lives are about to get a lot less hectic and stressful.

psophia17
12-15-2004, 02:59 PM
The first time I resigned/quit, I made up letters for my two bosses, their boss, and his assistant, so that everyone heard at the same time.

The second time, I just gave my boss a letter - but I would've done more, if I hadn't been on maternity leave at the time.

pritchettzoo
12-15-2004, 03:03 PM
It can't hurt. Short and sweet example:

Please accept my letter of resignation effective January 3, 2005. I have spoken with my immediate supervisor John Doe so that he may make necessary arrangements. I appreciate all that I have learned in this position blah blah blah...

Sincerely,
X

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

aliceinwonderland
12-15-2004, 03:09 PM
I always did do a letter, for the HR people mostly, because I always told my bosses in person

Katia
12-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Another vote for short and sweet. I usually toss in something like "it is with mixed emotion that I have decided..." even though it usually ISN'T with mixed emotion. And something about appreciating the opportunities I've had at the company, blah blah blah. Really they just need something for the personnel file to prove you're leaving voluntarily.

And congrats on the decision! I hope life gets better for you and your family.

C99
12-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Yes, send one. Anna's example is a good one. It needn't be more involved than that.

janeybwild
12-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Congrats to you and DH both. Less stressful is goooood. ITA with the pp that a written letter is necessary for HR (something about unemployment benefits?), and I think it is good form too. Good luck to DH in his new endeavor!

californiagirl
12-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Yup, he needs a letter. It should say clearly that he is resigning as of such a date, and that he's already discussed it. Unless it would be an absolute and utter lie of such proportions that lightning might strike him, it should also say something nice (as in "With regret, I am resigning..." or some such nicety intended to convey "Hey, I'm outta here, but I wouldn't want to burn any bridges") If he really means "If you were the last employer on earth, I'd beg outside your parking lot before I worked for you again" just stick to the facts about when he's resigning. Do not, under any circumstances, say anything rude. Don't discuss why he's leaving either. It's fine if it's 3 sentences long and leaves an immense amount of white space.