PDA

View Full Version : how to stop the run away toddler. PLEASE help me

lizajane
12-15-2004, 09:08 PM
the new "game" is "run away from mommy" HA HA HA or if holding mommy's hand, "fall down" on purpose OVER AND OVER again- pretty much sitting on the ground.

i CANNOT chase him. i am TOO pregnant. i CANNOT always carry him. he weighs 30lbs and again, i am TOO pregnant. he is FAST and it could get dangerous (the street, the parking lot, a crowded store, me hurting myself trying to wrangle him).

he LAUGHS as he runs off. i stand there with a totally straight face and ask him to come back. i do not chase him. it takes FOREVER for him to come back to me, and then he just comes half way, laughs and runs off again.

i am LOSING MY MIND. please help me!!! what are some solutions to this new "normal toddler behavior" discipline nightmare!!!!????????!!!!!!!

Saartje
12-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Have you tried a toddler harness/leash combo? I don't know what else to suggest, except to hope he grows out of this phase soon!

pritchettzoo
12-15-2004, 09:42 PM
That's what I was going to suggest.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

toomanystrollers
12-15-2004, 10:27 PM
One word - SKITTLES :) Yes, it's okay to resort to bribery and sugar when you're pregnant.

Java
12-16-2004, 12:07 AM
ohhh. Is this what I get to look forward too?? Oh boy!

Kael already doesn't listen to me and he doesn't like to hold my hand when he walks (better to point at leaves and bugs on the ground, mom). Lucky for me he's still pretty slow - he JUST started walking last month.

I see nothing wrong with a little bit of bribery!

deborah_r
12-16-2004, 12:13 AM
I think the toddler harness would be good for this situation. Considering how pregnant you are, and that you are worried about his safety, I think even though you might get some strange looks (projecting here...this is what *I* would be worried about), it might be your best bet for right now!

Kai has been doing this for months, but he is starting to listen a little better. I *hate* the falling down on the ground so he doesn't have to let me hold his hand game. Drives me batty!

s_gosney
12-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Liza-
I agree that a harness is probably a good idea. I thought the exact same thing as Deborah, that of course people might look at you funny, but that's not what matters right now, especially if it's a matter of his safety. Kylee's much younger than Schuyler, but I'm already thinking of getting a harness because she refuses to sit in the stroller (always has) and now she doesn't like to be carried much either. To me, a child has more freedom when they're on the harness than if they're holding your hand and certainly more than if they were in a stroller.
I don't know how you do it. I tried shopping with K, but I gave up and decided to do the rest online. I don't know how you do it pregnant. Here's hoping the next month goes by quickly for you!

PS I really really am going to send you those dipes one day. Finals are over Friday, then maybe I'll have a few minutes to spare...so SO sorry...