PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting your Mom for Christmas?

jec2
12-16-2004, 01:29 AM
I am stumped. I usually give a gift certificate for a pedicure but I'm feeling bored with that. She lives in clutterville so no nick-nack items are appealing. So, what is your mom getting from you?(marissa, I know that you already gave your mom a swift kick in the @rse!...LOL!)

ellies mom
12-16-2004, 05:02 AM
That's hard. I buy my Mom a Snowbaby every year, plus something related to one of her hobbies. I think Snowbabies are considered knick-knacks though. You didn't mention any hobbies but most of that type of stuff can get cluttery also. Adding to the clutter may be unappealing to you but she may not mind. Of course if she watches your DC, you may not want to contribute to any pile that could come crashing down. That's my big fear about visiting MIL now that DD is mobile

Did you consider that maybe she might look forward to the pedicure. My brother has been getting my Mom a desk calender for 15 years now. He may be bored, but my Mom has made it clear that she expects one every year, forever.

bluej
12-16-2004, 06:49 AM
A certificate to her favorite yarn store, a J Jill certificate and some bath stuff. It's pretty much the same gift every year and repeated on her birthday. She's going to buy the yarn anyway, she loves J Jill clothing and she loves my lotions and stuff. I'm not bored, I'm thankful she's so easy!

I'm not your mother, but honestly, I would LOVE to know that at least once I year I'm going to get a pedicure and not have to foot the bill!

papal
12-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Give her the pedi! I am sure she is looking forward to it and may even have booked her appointment! Sometimes, a predictable gift is so nice to get!
And I don't think you can ever have one too many pedis.

amp
12-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Well our moms are getting (combined w/ dad gifts) photo books of Jake, as well as Shutterfly calendars and pics from our last portrait sitting. Somewhat clutter, but braggable, proud clutter!

I'd go ahead and give the gc for the pedicure. On Mother's Day, every year, I buy my mom plants, well flowers, but plantable ones, not a bouquet. I even asked her one year if she was bored and wanted something else and she said "No!" She plans for it every year and kind of likes that it's always flowers.

ETA: I've also been known to give gc's to fav restaurants so they can treat themselves to a yummy meal on me!

Saartje
12-16-2004, 10:11 AM
If she enjoys the pedicure, I'd say stick with that. Or ask her if she wants a change, first -- as others have said, she may be looking forward to it.

I'm giving my mother a Flylady duster this year. She HATES dusting, and her arthritis makes housekeeping in general difficult, but she has asthma, so a nice feather duster should make things much, much easier for her. It may seem like an odd gift, or like I'm telling her she doesn't dust enough or something, but she knows what she's getting and is happy about it.

Now I need to think about what to do for my parents' 45th wedding anniversary, which falls on Christmas Day!

babymama
12-16-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm renewing her membership to the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston.
Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

mamagoosie
12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Hana Andersson Cafe Pants. I love mine. She's newly retired and needs some nice "stay at home" clothes--these are nice and comfy but look nice enough for a run out to the grocery store!

amazz
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
My mom is getting a Polartec fleece throw from LE which she picked out of the catalog. What she doesn't know is that we got it monogrammed with "Granny". :) It's her first Christmas with that title so I think she will be pleased. :)

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

cchavez
12-16-2004, 01:14 PM
A velvet track suit b/c she loves to walk and we loves to look nice. :) Oh, and lotion from BBW.

cchavez
12-16-2004, 01:15 PM
A velvet track suit b/c she loves to walk and we loves to look nice. :) Oh, and lotion from BBW.

cchavez
12-16-2004, 01:15 PM

vpalmer
12-16-2004, 01:34 PM
I got my MIL and mother both a leather bound album from Shutterfly. They are really nice and allow you to lay the pages out like a scrapbook. You can choose a theme and color and then either create your own book or just choose all your pictures and Shutterfly will automatically create the book for you.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

Marisa6826
12-16-2004, 01:49 PM
A Hannibal Lechter muzzle, mover's dolly, cement shoes and a one way boat ride. :P }(

-m

pritchettzoo
12-16-2004, 01:49 PM
My mom is probably getting Coldwater Creek gift certificate or if I can get there myself (versus sending DH), I'll pick out an outfit. She's also getting My Granny's Purse (a booklike thing). And if Gracie doesn't get out of this whiny clingy stage, she's getting a Monkey!

If your mom enjoys the pedicures, then don't worry about it. She knows how busy and stressed you are!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

pritchettzoo
12-16-2004, 01:50 PM
LMAO!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

alkagift
12-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Yoga pants (don't ask, she's 68) and a gift certificate to a bookstore.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton 5/19/03

alkagift
12-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Anna, I asked my MIL to get that for Matthew (cause she's "Granny" and he loves taking things out of my purse) and she called me wondering if I "REALLY meant it" since it was girly. I don't know that I've looked at all the items, but is there something in there that says "I'm putting on Granny's lipstick and wearing her shoes"? I thought it was just regular purse stuff. I think MIL has really got the whole gender role thing pretty ingrained and is wondering why I haven't asked for GI Joe men for DS....ergh.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

trumansmom
12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
The same thing I get her every year - Chanel No. 5 perfume and dusting powder. Mom loves it, and she doesn't often buy little luxuries for herself. I skipped it one year, thinking she was bored with it, but soon found out how disappointed she was!

Definitely make shopping easier!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

new_mommy25
12-16-2004, 02:18 PM
My mom is the girly type. She wears tons of makeup, perfume, gets her nails done etc. I bought her a beautiful necklace. She can never have enough jewelry! My mom is easy to shop for. My dad otoh is immpossible.

cinrein
12-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Based on someone's excellent suggestion, I ordered my Mom some scrumptios jammies from Ann Taylor Loft. They are perfect and sooo soft! I also got her some cookbooks. She loves watching cooking shows and I got her one of the America's Test Kitchen ones.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

almostamom
12-16-2004, 03:03 PM
You crack me up!!!!
:)
~Linda~

amazz
12-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Oh girly, good thing you have such a good sense of humor!!!

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

vpalmer
12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Alison,

My mom got Eva My Granny's Purse and I don't think it is too girly at all. Every page differentiates between mom and Granny. For example: My mom says you are what you eat. My granny says sweets for the sweet. And on each page there are things you can pull out of the purse. It actually kind of annoyed me a little because it makes the mom out to be a harda** and the granny to be the kid's savior or something. Eva loves it though and my mom loved giving it to her, so I would never say anything. I'm not sure I would have bought it though. ;-)

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

jec2
12-16-2004, 05:02 PM
LOL!!!! You are so clever with your gifts ;)

JLiebCamm
12-16-2004, 05:12 PM
A gift certificate to get her hair professionally colored (she always does it herself) and a certificate to have her carpets professionally cleaned (she's too thrifty to splurge on such a service).

Tori_s mom
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
One of my friends makes bracelets with children's names and birthstones. I got a double strand one for my mom with my name and Tori's (I'm an only child :)). She LOVED it!

Tasha

Tori (3/11/04)

KBecks
12-16-2004, 07:12 PM
I got my MIL a jacket from Coldwater Creek. I hope it fits.

My Mom was difficult to buy for. She usually liked a box of candy. I don't think you can go wrong with a gift of chocolate.

lisaE
12-16-2004, 07:49 PM
That sounds more like a gift to yourself, HA!

LD92599
12-16-2004, 07:54 PM
We got my mom a digital camera (super duper sale @ 6th Ave Electronics and they actually had it in stock!) plus a grilled cheese iron thingy. She's always wanted one!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

Lenox12
12-16-2004, 09:07 PM
I think a massage gift certificate would be nice. I got one for my mom one year for her B'Day (it was her first) and she loved it.

Ann

MamaKath
12-16-2004, 09:10 PM
A scarf that I made, a doll that represents her penpal who has greatly influenced her life, a pin with her favorite animal, and an extended visit from her grandkids. ;-)

tarahsolazy
12-16-2004, 09:45 PM
My mom: A willow tree Grandma statue, she will CRY, believe me, and a Joyce Meyers (Christian Chick) devotions book. I might add a wireless router/basestation to her gift, because that's what we got MIL, and she loved it. Both Grannies love their laptops, and both were still wired, believe it or not! We had to give MIL hers early at TG, because DH had to get it up and running. I think we'd need to do that for my mom, too.

C99
12-16-2004, 10:36 PM
My mom works 3/4-time in her own business, so she asked for tailored clothes from Talbot's. I couldn't afford Talbot's, so I got her a nice shirt in a style I think she'd like, from Land's End. I also bought her 3 products from Bath & Body Works in a scent that she told me that she likes.

I also got her and my dad a Shutterfly calendar.

pixelprincess
12-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Nothing for my mom, though my MIL asks for strange purple clothes from catalogs. Is it a surprise gift or can you ask her if she wants anything in particular? Maybe, a purple shirt?