PDA

View Full Version : How often do you buy your DD/DS new shoes?

Sarah1
12-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm just curious, how fast does your DD/DS grow out of their shoes? I feel like I buy DD a couple of new pairs every three months, sometimes more frequently! It's ridiculous! I would like to hear I'm not the only one buying so many shoes...

Sarah1
12-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm just curious, how fast does your DD/DS grow out of their shoes? I feel like I buy DD a couple of new pairs every three months, sometimes more frequently! It's ridiculous! I would like to hear I'm not the only one buying so many shoes...

alkagift
12-17-2004, 01:45 PM
How coincidental that you mentioned this, I just posted on this in Layette! I'm buying DS shoes every three months too, and it's such an expensive proposition as they get older--they are almost as expensive as mine!

DS just measured an 8 at Stride Rite. So they recommend an 8 1/2. HUGGGE looking to me, just enormous. I'm online now hunting for quality sneakers that are not $45. Sigh. I'm completely empathizing with you...

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

alkagift
12-17-2004, 01:45 PM
How coincidental that you mentioned this, I just posted on this in Layette! I'm buying DS shoes every three months too, and it's such an expensive proposition as they get older--they are almost as expensive as mine!

DS just measured an 8 at Stride Rite. So they recommend an 8 1/2. HUGGGE looking to me, just enormous. I'm online now hunting for quality sneakers that are not $45. Sigh. I'm completely empathizing with you...

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

C99
12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
About every 3 months! I only buy him one pair to wear at a time, so I try to get a shoe that is versatile enough to work for all occasions. I've been saving up my receipts for Alamo Shoes, so that helps to lower the cost a bit.

lizajane
12-17-2004, 02:11 PM
every three months??? HA!!! try EVERY MONTH! schuyler feet went from a size FIVE at 12 months old to a size EIGHT at 20 months old!

three full shoe sizes in 8 months! and when they are just learning to walk, they can't really handle more than 1/2 size up...

but finally, we were able to go up more than just a 1/2 size, so when he was just over the 7 1/2 line, we went up to 8 1/2.

so we have shoes in sizes 5, 5.5, 6, skipped to 7 (summer sandels helped us skip ahead), 7.5, skipped to 8.5 and got some 9's on sale...

ETA: we have only paid full price for ONE pair of shoes, and those were keds from stride rite. i got 3 pairs as gifts, and sandals on sale... but all the others were stride rite shoes that i got at consignment sales for less than $7 each!!! he had either one or two pairs in each size. (sneakers and "dress" shoes or sneakers and sandals.)

amp
12-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Well, we've only had 2 pair, but yes, every few months! And we could only afford one pair, although I swear that this summer I will buy a pair of casual shoes/sneakers and some sandals or water shoes that don't require socks! But boy are they expensive! And, here's the kicker, Jake, like so many other babes, has XW feet right now, so SR is our only option!

peanut4us
12-17-2004, 02:48 PM
About every three months right now too. We only buy her one pair at a time though... so they have to be pretty versatile. I had thought that if I ever did need really dress up shoes for her... I would buy them at the consignment store near my dentist. I went int there the other dy and their shoes were about $5 each. I really want her to have her own new shoes right now so they mold to her feet, but if I was ever really in a pinch, I thin kI would spring for the used pair.

And at some point (soon right?) their little feet will slow down? right?

Momof3Labs
12-17-2004, 11:01 PM
About every 3-4 months. Colin has wide feet, so Stride Rite is about our only option, but we have a SR outlet a few minutes away. They have great sales periodically (when I can get pairs for $15-20 each) and I tend to buy a size or two ahead when the price is right and the seasons work out right (like tennies are good for any season).

We tend to need two pairs per size - one pair of tennies and one nicer pair (currently a pair of brown nubuck boots which Colin loooooves). In the summer, we do a pair of sandals and a pair of tennies.

For dress shoes, I usually go to Payless. Not the best, most comfy shoes, but for $10-12, it is usually cheaper than even the SR outlet. And they actually have wide sizes!!

I've had no luck finding shoes at consignment sales and stores around here, unfortunately. All the good stuff apparently goes to eBay.

Tondi G
12-18-2004, 06:31 PM
YUP We are buying new shoes ALL the time! I am starting to just buy one pair of tennis shoes at a time cause he outgorws them so fast.... and they wear out in just about the same ammt of time! The last few pairs we've bought were Sketchers.... but I did happen into a Vans store recently that had some shoes for 15 bucks! The stride rite outlet is always a good bet too! When DS was smaller he loved the Gap velcro sneakers... wouldn't wear anything else..... wouldn't even let a sales person try to put anything else on his feet.... oh and they had to be the navy blue ones like he had before. I sware it looked like he had the same pair of shoes for almost a year.... we just kept going up in size!!!! LOL Knowing that my DH is a size 14 I know we are going to be paying LOTS of $$$ to put shoes on our boys!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

StaceyKim
12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Sarah,
I seem to be buying new shoes every 3 months or so too.
Have you been to Piggy Toes in Lincoln Park? I love that place!!! They have one in the burbs too. I bought him a pair of shoes for the fall and then I also bought waterproof boots for the winter in a size bigger at the suggestion of the shoe guy and they have worked out great. My nephew is going to be the recipient of some nice hand-me-down shoes that are barely used!