PDA

View Full Version : Can I have your Christmas breakfast recipes?

heytootsy
12-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Just looking for ideas. Thanks

missym
12-19-2004, 03:23 PM
These muffins are best served warm from the oven. One of our family favorites...

Oatmeal Muffins

1 Cup rolled oats
1 Cup buttermilk
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Stick butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 Cup brown sugar, firmly packed

Line muffin tin with paper cups. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F when ready to bake.
Mix oatmeal and buttermilk, allow to stand at least 30 minutes (overnight in refrigerator is ok).
Blend together egg and melted butter. Add to oatmeal mixture. Sift together remaining dry ingredients. Blend into oat mixture only long enough to moisten. Drop in brown sugar and stir only enough to suspend throughout batter in streaks and lumps. (Brown sugar will become more blended as mixture is dipped into tins.)
Drop mixture into muffin cups. Bake until browned and done in center, 20-25 minutes.
Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
21 months and counting!

kensjen
12-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Jessica needs to post the baked blueberry french toast recipe! ;) YUM!

heytootsy
12-19-2004, 10:13 PM
That sounds yummy!!!

kelly ann
12-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Mmmmmm...Hmmmmm! I am waiting for that recipe as well. If not, I may try this Creme Brulee French Toast from allrecipes.com - but I am worried it may be too rich.

http://brunch.allrecipes.com/AZ/CrmBrlFrnchTst.asp

lmladuke
12-20-2004, 07:04 AM
I make baked french toast too. Don't have a specific recipe (with amounts) as I sort of make it up every time - but here's the general list of ingredients

1 loaf of french or challah bread cut into thick slices
eggs
milk
orange juice
cinnamon
brown sugar (just a bit)

butter each slice of bread on both sides and layer on bottom of glass baking dish.

Mix all ingredients, pour over bread. Slices should be almost covered. Cover with plastic wrap and put in refridgerator overnight.

In the a.m. heat oven to 325 degrees. Sprinkle tops of bread with a little more brown sugar and bake until puffy and slightly brown

NOTE: I have also used blueberries in the recipe and basically sprinkle them all over the pan just before baking. Also, if you run out of "liquid" overnight, you can always add a bit more orange juice if the bread looks dry.

It is yummy, if I do say so myself.

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

kransden
12-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Call the local grocery store and order ready-to-serve quiche. (or make an egg strata the night before)
Add apple sauage links from Trader Joes.
And pre-made cinnamon rolls to bake that morning.
Easy, fast and good!
Life is too short to slave in the kitchen on Xmas morning IMHO!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

wencit
12-20-2004, 11:54 AM
I've made this creme brulee french toast on several occasions, and it is soooooo good. I always get raves from my guests. The best part is that you can prepare it the night before, so all you have to do on Christmas morning is pop it in the oven. Yes, it is a little rich, but not overly heavy. You can serve it with some fresh fruit to "lighten" it up a bit, if you want.

geochick
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Here's a baked blueberry french toast recipe. I haven't tried it, but it has received 4.5 out of 5 stars on the allrecipes.com site. It looks tasty!

http://christmas.allrecipes.com/az/OverniteBlueberryFrenchToa.asp

cinrein
12-20-2004, 02:16 PM
This is from Southern Living Magazine. It can be partially prepared the night before. It's quick and yummy!!

3 cups frozen shredded potatoes
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Thaw potato between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture. Press potato into bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie plate; drizzle with butter. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.

Combine ham, cheese and green pepper; spoon into potato shell. Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients, stirring well; pour over ham mixture.

Bake at 350 degress for 25 to 30 mintues or until set; let stand 10 mintues before serving. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Note: May be assembled, omitting egg mixture, and stored in refrigerator for 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over ham mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

toomanystrollers
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I made this!! The Blueberry french toast is delish!! My dad absolutely loved the stuff and now I can't bear to make it again since he passed away (right after Christmas '02) :(

brittone2
12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
My favorite website for breakfasts is www.bbonline.com Go to recipes, and then look at the breakfast recipes.

When we are having overnight guests I love to make overnight french toast (I do the apple and spice one w/ granny smith apples) and it is so easy. In fact, rather than cooking it that morning, I even cook it a day in advance because it "gels" up better that way...it tastes better reheated.

In any case, it makes for an easy morning...everything is ready to go, just pop in the oven or reheat. You could make it during the day on christmas eve.

Bethann31
12-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Coffee, black in a syringe after the all-nighter I always end up pulling wrapping presents.

Seriously, I like quiche. Usually we have broccoli and cheese. And hot coffee. Black. Not in a syringe, but maybe this year.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

daisymommy
12-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Ohhhh Jessica, where is that Blueberry French Toast recipe? ;)

Here's a yummy recipe for Overnight Pecan Praline French Toast. I love that you can make it the night before, then pop into the oven to bake while you are opening presents (rather than stressing out in the kitchen and missing out on all the fun!)--then it's all ready when you are! Serve with bacon, a fruit salad, milk and OJ and you are all set!

Pecan Praline French Toast
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup (sticks) butter or margarine
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
18 slices Italian or French bread
3 cups milk
6 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Melt the brown sugar, margarine, and cinnamon in a small saucepan.
Lay some of the bread slices in a well greased 9x13" baking pan.
Drizzle part of the butter mixture over the bread, and sprinkle with some of the pecans, add more bread and repeat with cinnamon drizzle, pecans, etc. to make 3 layers, ending with the drizzle mixture & pecans.
Mix the milk, eggs, white sugar and vanilla, and pour over the bread.
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350* uncovered for 1 hour, then 15-30 minutes more uncovered until golden brown and puffy--it should still be slightly mosit looking though--not dry.

Yummy! Smells so very good baking! This is pretty sweet like a cinnamon roll, so you really don't need syrup on top.