PDA

View Full Version : 1st Years Take and Toss Sippy Cups - do they leak?

Twin Mom
12-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this since it doesn't really go in Feeding Baby and the Toddler Board doesn't get many visitors, but has anyone used the Take and Toss sippy cups by The First Years? I'm going on vacation this week and was planning on just bringing these instead of regular sippy cups since I won't have a dishwasher, but I wasn't sure if they really work. Doesn't seem like there is much point if they leak everywhere. Does anyone have experience with these? Thanks.

Tondi G
12-20-2004, 05:16 PM
In my experience They are much less leaky when they are NEW! If your child throws them on the floor they might leak.... but in my experience most cups do when they are thrown on the floor! I have resorted to pretty much just using the take and toss now..... I can't stand cleaning and storing lids and valves etc. We use the straw cups now for my DS.... they are definetly more prone to leaking. For a vacation I would only take the T&T cups..... trying to wash other cups and take the chance of losing cups.... why bother with anything else! I say go for it! You can always take one of your regular sippy cups and if you hate the T&T just wash the one often!!!!

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

Momof3Labs
12-20-2004, 05:19 PM
I love these cups, but they do leak at certain times (for example, I wouldn't carry one in a diaper bag or leave one upside down on the floor). They don't leak when just being used for drinking.

My favorite cups to tuck in the diaper bag are either the Nuby sippies with the silicone tops, or the Playtex straw cups. Neither are 100% reliable, but they are pretty close.

californiagirl
12-20-2004, 05:25 PM
If you shake the Take and Toss sippy cups upside down a little comes out. Also, if you fill them up at altitude on an airplane, they leak on descent (physics at work! I should have known better.) I carry a full one of water in the diaper bag all the time and have only had significant leakage because of the airplane/air pressure thing -- although I do often have a drop here and there, which doesn't worry me because I just carry water.

kthomp
12-20-2004, 05:43 PM
I find that they leak a lot. That said, they are a great starter cup because they liquid comes out a lot easier than other brands.

I was tired of the leaking, so I switched to Playtex Sipsters. They are awesome! In over 4 months of use, I have never had a leak more than a drop. I love them! You can find a coupon for $1 off any Playtex cups on their website.

HTH!

kellyotn
12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
We use these almost exclusively. Love having no valve. They are cheap. I don't find they leak much at all, though I wouldn't leave one or ANY sippy in a diaper bag. (I have a friviously expensive diaper bag! ha ha).

She definitely doesn't make a mess while using them to drink. She's an odd duck though, she'd never use Platex or Gerber ones. Ever. Don't know why! We had about a dozen of them, no go!

We always make sure DD gets Take and Toss with her "bedtime" milk because it takes her *longer* to drink with this than other brands. With other ones she just slams the milk so fast and wants more and more and more!

kelly

jd11365
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
These are all we use...they are the best...no leaks. I even put one in the crib at night. Now, if your child shakes them upside down, yes it will leak some, but otherwise we've had great luck. Also, they come in an insulated version, which I've gotten at BRU and Target...love those.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

trumansmom
12-20-2004, 11:42 PM
We love these and they really can last a long time. We're still using some we bought before DS' first birthday. Some of them have had to be tossed, but some are still doing fine.

They are all we will be taking with us on our trip as well.