PDA

View Full Version : Very low temperature...?

psophia17
12-21-2004, 03:00 PM
I've been doing fertilty charting as of last week, taking my temperature first thing when I wake up. When I was a kid, 98.6 was normal. My MIL says that 98.3 is normal. The various books I've checked have given ranges betweein 97 and 99 as normal. I've clocked in at 96 or below every single day for 9 days. Is this also normal? If I check later in the day, I'll be maybe at 97.5, but nowhere higher than that.

I know I always have cold hands and feet, but this seems weird to me...are there other cold people out there?

steph2003
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Petra
I temp too! And I'm all over the place :) I'm not sure what is considered too low though....I seem to remember reading something in TCOYF about lower temps (outside of the normal range they give) can indicate thyroid stuff. Don't quote me on this - has been awhile since I read the book.

momtoemma
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
FWIW, I don't think all that many people really have a regular body temp of 98.6, but I'll tell you about my experiences with temp charting. First of all, I always took my temp first thing in the morning, even before I got out of bed. I would have definitely gotten a higher reading if I took it later in the morning. In fact, it was even higher than usual if I got out of bed and took it rather than take it while still laying in bed. My temps were always in the 96 range, usually around 96.3. My temp would rise to the upper 97's or low 98's just before I was getting ready to ovulate. The way I knew I was pregnant both times was that my temperature was 98 or above for several days...until I quit bothering to take my temp any more. So, in a nutshell, I think it's normal to have temps that vary from 98.6. Happy charting!

psophia17
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
I feel much better now - thanks!

LucyG
12-21-2004, 03:39 PM
I also chart, and my temps often are in the low 97 range or high 96 range first thing in the a.m. Also, it's really cold outside right now, and I think that is having some bearing on my temps (even though our house is warm). The important thing with charting is that you can see a thermal shift when you ovulate. If that's happening, I don't think the low temps are anything to worry about. My normal body temp has always been below 98.6.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
22 months and counting!

lisams
12-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Sounds like normal basal body temps to me! They are that low because your body has been at rest, once you get up and get moving it goes up. That's why for fertility charting people say it's important to take your temp right away when you wake up even before getting out of bed - then you can get a true basal body temp. Just standing up can start raising your temp.

Good luck charting!!!
Lisa

amazz
12-21-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm a coldy. :) My normal body temp is about 96.5, sometimes lower, but usually right around there. It's always been low so I got to stay home when I had a 98.6 degree body temp b/c that was a fever for me!!

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg