PDA

View Full Version : Need Gift Ideas for 8 Year Old Boy

August Mom
12-22-2004, 08:31 AM
We have volunteered to buy presents for an 8 year old boy who we learned was not going to have any Christmas presents this year due to family finances. However, now we have no idea what to buy and need to buy it today.

I thought if anyone had a good idea it would be you.

I was thinking Knex or Legos, perhaps. I also thought about sports books. But, I don't know anything about 8 year old boys.

mharling
12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Legos would probably be good. Other ideas:
- Plastic sled, hat & mittens or gloves
- Lincoln Logs
- Shirt
- Matchbox cars
- Books
- Winter jammies

I bought for 2 10-year olds this year and they both wanted Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Don't know if that interest trickles down to 8-year olds or not.

Good luck! Before you know it, you *will* know something about 8 year old boys. ;)

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little Miss - Due March 2!!

lukkykatt
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
I have a friend with boys that age. I know they like Bionicles - made by Lego. I got them a gift cert to B&N - but because they have plenty of toys.

Here is a link to "Family Fun" magazine's site - they had toy awards for different age groups (I happen to know because DS studied our mag during his every free moment): http://familyfun.go.com/parties/holiday/specialfeature/famf0904_toy_main/

janeybwild
12-22-2004, 09:45 AM
>I bought for 2 10-year olds this year and they both wanted Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Don't know if that interest trickles down to 8-year olds or not.

A 6 year old at our family christmas was beside himself with excitment over these, so I suspect they would be a hit. Mary also reminded me about the Klutz book selections which are usually a hit with this age group.

jk3
12-22-2004, 10:32 AM
For books, I'm sure The Series of Unfortunate Events is popular with the 8+ crowd since the movie just came out. Matt Christopher has a huge line of chapter books with sports themes. The Bunnicula series by James Howe is also a favorite.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

kalebsmama
12-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I have 9yr old nephews that are into Yu-Gi-Oh cards too. They also like books, skateboards, & Legos (Bionicles.

I can't think of anything else right now - they asked us for gift certificates this year because they like shopping for their own stuff. One is getting a Best Buy card, and the other to the book store.

Good luck!