PDA

View Full Version : Amby Hammock - What can you tell me about it?

McQ
12-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Do you love it? Anyone have a babe that hasn't liked it? Is it hard to transition them to a crib when they grow out of it? What's makes it so special that it's better than letting them sleep in the swing? How big is it - does it take up a bunch of room? What am I forgetting to ask?

We had a horrible night last night so I'm all ears for a better solution. We're currently using the swing but that didn't even cut it last night. I can not handle many more nights like last night. Thanks.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

alkagift
12-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Allison,
The only person I know on the boards who has had it was Neve--maybe when she returns you can ask her, or perhaps someone here will know how she liked it--I thought she loved it, though.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

shandrin
12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
My first totally hated it but with my 2nd it was SO helpful! She got a cold very early on and had to be more upright, unfortunately that got her into a swing and we couldn't get her out of it except for the hammock, she loved it!

Now the move over to a crib when she became to active for the hammock was a bit tricky, but it wasn't too bad.

Space wise, hmm it's not too bad, it's more floorspace than actual bulk.

I'll try an answer any questions you have as best as i can, it's been awhile, dd is now 6yrs old! LOL :D

It was truely the best thing i found for her, totally perfect option for the swing dependant baby ;)

dowlinal
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I know that Jen from Mom and Me swears by it. When her son became very sick he started using the hammock again and I believe the owner of the company donated a free one to her. If you go to the mom-n-me website and go to Samuel's page there is a picture of him in the hammock.

I think there were some posts on this during the summer and I remember people being really happy with it.

A

bunnisa
12-22-2004, 04:43 PM
We LOVED our Amby!

Another woman from BBB just emailed me about this, so I'll post my reply to her:

We used the Amby longer than most -- until DS figured out how to get out of it (he could get out safely, it was just a matter of not wanting him to escape during the night!!) He loved it, and we loved it. The "nest" like design made it cozy -- he felt secure (which is often an issue with newborns) and we could rock him or bounce him right in his bed. The rocking/bouncing-right-in-bed feature was a HUGE plus that I hadn't considered when we bought it -- however, many a night I felt incredibly thankful as I rocked a fussy baby to sleep (no having to move him!).

When he got a little older, he could bounce himself in it. He used it to self-soothe at night, and he would bounce just for fun during the day when we put him down for naps.

We used it when we traveled, too. It disassembles easily (although not as quickly as a pack n play). We bought a huge duffel bag to transport it in, since the bag it came with wasn't very durable. We checked it at the airport and it arrived undamaged every time (although the bag was pretty worn - the edges of the frame tend to rub on the end of the bag).

We liked that it took up so little space, too. There is an attachment you can buy to use the frame as a bouncer as well, which I wish we'd purchased.

Anyone can feel free to email me about the Amby. I also responded to a few older threads which you can look up if you're interested.

Hope that helps!

p.s. edited to add that, unlike a swing, the Amby prevents plagiocephaly.

p.p.s. I credit much of DS's awesome newborn sleeping habits from swaddling and using the Amby.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03