PDA

View Full Version : DS had red puffy rash around his mouth...

deborah_r
12-26-2004, 11:52 PM
after eating at Chili's. We wiped off his face at the end of the meal and discovered a puffy red mess! He has never had a reaction to anything before. It went away as we were on our way to the drugstore to get Benadryl, and he never acted as though it bothered him.

He didn't eat any particular food he's never had, I'm thinking it is an additive or preservative that he had a problem with. He was mostly eating the cinnamon apple side dish that came with my meal. Also the food was all over his hands, but we didn't notice any rash on his hands.

If it hadn't gone away, was Benadryl the thing to give him? I want to know what to do if this should happen again and if it doesn't just go away.

deborah_r
12-26-2004, 11:52 PM
after eating at Chili's. We wiped off his face at the end of the meal and discovered a puffy red mess! He has never had a reaction to anything before. It went away as we were on our way to the drugstore to get Benadryl, and he never acted as though it bothered him.

He didn't eat any particular food he's never had, I'm thinking it is an additive or preservative that he had a problem with. He was mostly eating the cinnamon apple side dish that came with my meal. Also the food was all over his hands, but we didn't notice any rash on his hands.

If it hadn't gone away, was Benadryl the thing to give him? I want to know what to do if this should happen again and if it doesn't just go away.

Marisa6826
12-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Yes, definitely Benadryl is what you want to give him. Just be forewarned that it might make him antsy. Some kiddos get sleepy, others hyper. It doesn't do a THING to Sophie unfortunately ;).

Hope he's better soon.

-m

Marisa6826
12-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Yes, definitely Benadryl is what you want to give him. Just be forewarned that it might make him antsy. Some kiddos get sleepy, others hyper. It doesn't do a THING to Sophie unfortunately ;).

Hope he's better soon.

-m

psophia17
12-27-2004, 12:13 AM
I haven't had it in a long time, but I remember the apple stuff at Chilis being very thick - maybe there was a lot of cornstarch in it and that bothered him?

It's the first thing I thought of whem I read your post...

HTH :)

psophia17
12-27-2004, 12:13 AM
I haven't had it in a long time, but I remember the apple stuff at Chilis being very thick - maybe there was a lot of cornstarch in it and that bothered him?

It's the first thing I thought of whem I read your post...

HTH :)

SeekerMage
12-27-2004, 01:40 AM
It could be the napkin believe it or not. We had this happen to Miss Moose. She was eating nothing out of the ordinary and I gave her a napkin to wipe her face off, which she did and I then noticed a minute later she had welts all over her face. I think it had something to do with the bleach in the napkin, the quality or something...at any rate, it went away by the time we got home (we were in the car) Just another possibility to consider.

toomanystrollers
12-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Tess would always get a similiar rash after eating soft serve vanilla ice cream. The rash didn't seem to bother her, so I skipped the benadryl.

Kieransmom
12-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Awww, that's scary stuff. Yes, Benadryl was my first thought too. I hope the rest of your evening was better for Kai and both you and DH. It would be interesting to see what the reaction was to.

Sorry this happened!