PDA

View Full Version : Update on my FIL's stroke

jubilee
12-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks for all your well wishes! Sadly, it is mostly bad news- but we are clinging tightly to the good news and our hopes. My Father in Law had a massive stroke eight days ago. They did surgery on 2 clots in his neck about 24 hours after the stroke. That is a bad time delay for recovery. My FIL even coded a few days ago and they were able to revive him. He has no movement on his right side- so no walking, no talking, etc. We have no idea how much of his memory has been affected. We do think he does recogize everyone. He does squeeze people's hand with his left hand. :) Today was good in that he finally got out of ICU!! His road of recovery is looking very long. FIL won't be able to go home- because he will need 3+ hours of physical therapy and speech therapy each DAY, and other issues- he will now have to live in a care center. This is really upsetting my MIL. Thankfully, my FIL was retired so he is not missing work or anything. However everything is scary expensive so we are trying to figure that out. We just all really hope my FIL is up for the long battle he will have to regain mobility and speech. He has five kids and five grand kids to make it worth the effort! Again, thanks for your prayers and well wishes, they gave me strength during this time- and I'm sure they gave my FIL strength too.

vikivoly
12-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Julie, I'm sorry to hear your family is going through such a difficult time. I'll keep you in my prayers.

new_mommy25
12-27-2004, 04:50 AM
Oh Julie, I'm so sorry about all of this. That must be very hard for you to endure, especially around the holidays. I wish him a healthy recovery and will keep him in my thoughts. My grandfather died six years ago and towards the end he had to be in a home. He had very bad Alzheimers and didn't know any of us. Hugs to you and your family.

toomanystrollers
12-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Julie,
Thank you for the update. Your FIL will remain in our thoughts and prayers. I hope he will be home with your MIL in the near future.

janeybwild
12-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Oh Julie, I have been thinking about you and your FIL, and am sending healing thoughts his way. Hang in there.

steph2003
12-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the update Julie - will continue to think good thoughts!

amp
12-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Julie - thanks for the update. I have been thinking of you and your DH and his family. I will continue to pray for his recovery and for you all to find some healing and peace of your own.

McQ
12-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Julie - I've been thinking a lot of you and your FIL. DH's father had a massive stroke many years ago right before DH & I began dating so I don't have all the facts - but I do know he was in a coma for a while after it and it was pretty bad. But the good news is he came out of it, and while he was never back to his old self and was in a home for many years it did give me the chance to meet him, and to go through pictures with him and for him to eventually tell me stories. I'm grateful I got that chance. After about 5 years in the nursing home he came home to live for a couple more years. So don't give up hope, while it may be different, anything is possible.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

mharling
12-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Big hugs to you Julie! It sounds like the you and dh's family are strong and really pulling together. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little Miss - Due March 2!!

amazz
12-27-2004, 12:44 PM
(((HUGS, Julie!))) I have been thinking about your family and I am glad to hear that your FIL is out of ICU. That really is a big step! Keep us updated!!

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

MamaKath
12-27-2004, 03:02 PM
((((((((((((Julie))))))))))))) I read this as I left, and have had you in prayers along with your FIL and family. I watched a similar scenario with my grandmother and understand the truly heart wrenching nature of the uncertainty of a future prognosis. Please know you can contact me if you ever need to talk. And you will continue on my prayer list.

babymama
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. We continue to have your FIL and your family in our prayers here.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

kensjen
12-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Julie, I have been thinking about your FIL and the whole family. My prayers are still going out to you, I am with you...clinging to hope. Thank you for the update. Hang in there, Mama!

tippy
12-27-2004, 07:13 PM
So sorry to hear such sad news. It's so hard when something like this happens but particullary around the holidays. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

jamsmu
12-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Julie, We continue to keep you and your family in our thoughts.