PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to switch from dial-up internet

jubilee
12-27-2004, 03:35 AM
Everyone knows dial-up internet is SLOW, but we are switching because of a near tragic situation. When my FIL had his stroke last week, my MIL and the hospital tried to reach us for three hours but kept getting a busy signal because my husband and son were online. Finally another family member drove to our house to tell us about my FIL. My husband was sick with the thought that he could have missed seeing his dad's last moments. In fact he may have missed hearing his dad's last words. My FIL was talking when he got to the hospital, but four hours later when my husband got to him, he couldn't talk anymore and still can't talk.
So as a public service announcement, I share this story with you. Be sure people can reach you. As for us, DSL service will be connected later this week. My spend-thift husband insisted on it- he never wants to miss another call- it is too important.

new_mommy25
12-27-2004, 04:51 AM
That is a very good reason to switch. Wow, that must have been so upssetting for your DH :( We have DSL and I love it to death! i can't imagine ever going back to dial-up.

toomanystrollers
12-27-2004, 07:12 AM
That's scary! - I do know AOL offers a call waiting type of service so important phone calls get through while you're online.

tinkerbell1217
12-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Thats one of the reasons we switched too, just in case. AND also a good reason to have a cell phone. Especially with my DS having medical issues. What if the school couldn't reach me?? So, we have DSL and a family plan on our cell phones. It is an expense, but worth every penny!

tinkerbell1217
12-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Yep, all you have to do is switch it on. I believe it actually comes with the reg AOL service at no cost.

Tori_s mom
12-27-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL. I'll be thinking about him and your family. I hope he will recover.

Hugs,
Tasha