PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Indiana!

himom
12-27-2004, 12:13 PM
We're here and we're coming off a WHITE CHRISTMAS! Yay! It was amazing. I guess it's probably not a big deal to most of you but we were absolutely thrilled to see the snow blanketing the ground and simply amazed to watch it fall yesterday.

It was zero degrees when we got off the plane on Friday, and poor DS curled into a ball like a little armadillo when that first wave hit him. But he LOVES the snow. He runs to the windows and begs to go play and he'll stay out as long as we let him. He jumps in it, tosses it, crunches around in his cute little boots. He's having the time of his life, especially with his grandparents, aunt, and uncle here to spoil him.

The onlu drawback to playing in the snow is he hates getting trussed up in snow bib, boots, jackets, hats, scarves, etc, and I can't say I enjoy doing it to him much either. Kudos to you Mamas who have to go through this all the time! I can't imagine doing it with two, or worse, doing it to a potty-trained child who will then "have to go potty." I must say, though, that Josh looks SO CUTE in all that winter gear. I'll try to post a pic when we're home.

The plane ride was a awful and after this I'm seriously considering marooning myself at home until my youngest child is at least 5. We did everything we were supposed to -- brought snacks, toys, etc, got him his favorite DVDs and everything. All he wanted to do was walk around the plane and he screamed when we strapped him in his seat. Worse, the fasten seatbelt sign was on pretty much the whole way due to light turbulence so I had nightmare images of him hurtling across the plane whenever I unbuckled him. It was a 7 hour red eye, so I was exhausted after no sleep. He did sleep the last hour and a half, thnk goodness. Our trip home will be 9 hours, during the day, so ANY advice anyone can give will be met with ecstatic appreciation. He's on asthma medication, so I can't give him any more drugs.....

Other than that, things are great! I'm on a borrowed dial-up so I can't read or check in often, so Merry late Christmas to all and I hope you are all well!

Jodi

babymama
12-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Jodi -
Just wanted to say thanks for checking in here and letting us know how you're doing! Sadly, I don't have much advice on easing your air travel. I've had terrible flights with DS, and I know how much it sucks when nothing works, not food, not toys, not books, nothing. I ended up having him mostly seated in my lap bc he would arch his back and scream in the carseat. I can only offer you hugs and wish you all the best for a peaceful return flight. Sorry I don't have any specific advice for you. It sounds like your son is having a ball with all that snow! Can't wait to see pictures! If you can believe it, we had a white christmas too...in Houston, TX! It was so fun! Best wishes to you.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

JElaineB
12-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks for checking in, I was wondering how your trip was going. It sounds like you went all out with the winter gear - glad you're getting some use out of them and Josh is having fun! I don't have any great advice for the plane ride either, DS has been pretty happy sitting in his car seat as long as he had snacks, books and DVDs.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

searchdog
12-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to say hi and enjoy the snow. My DH and I live in Indianapolis and we are ready for the snow to be gone. It is really fun for about 2 days then I get tired of it since it looks dirty. Have fun in Indy.

Elilly
12-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Just out of curiosity... Any other Indy residents out there?

searchdog
12-28-2004, 11:47 AM
I have to say I have often wondered if there are any other Indy moms (or dads). I figured you were in Indy when I first read your name since Lilly is definatly and Indiana thing.

khakismom
12-28-2004, 12:10 PM
A former resident here! Used to live around 96th and Allisonville, but moved out of town almost 3 years ago. I still have lots of family there and was back in town in November for a wedding. I'll have to ping you guys when we come back for a visit--I would love to meet up.

What I miss most? The Fashion Mall!!! (Esp. now that there's a Janie & Jack there!) Also, Jimmy John's sandwiches, Shapiro's, and Teeter Totter (the cutest boutique in Carmel).

What I don't miss is the snow... :)

missym
12-28-2004, 12:37 PM
We're in Fort Wayne, but DH's parents live in Indy so we're there often. We lived in Indy (off of Shadeland/37) for the first year of our marriage and loved it. We like Ft. Wayne, but I'd happily move back there given the chance.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
20 months and counting!

lilycat88
12-28-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm in Indy as well. I live on the westside currently and work downtown. I've been a frequent reader of the boards and have posted a few items. Susanna is our first (and probably only).

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna 6/29/04

searchdog
12-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Our girls are so close in age how fun!!

jbowman
12-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Just checking in from my parent's house...in Carmel (Indianapolis). I am originally from here, but now live in a galaxy far, far away (Texas, LOL). I was born and raised in this area; it has changed so much since I've left--it's so much more fun!!! DH, Ellie, and I have been here visiting our families during the holidays.

Hoosiers unite!

lilycat88
12-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Indeed! I looked at the pictures you have posted on your website and Maggie is beautiful. I had to laugh at some of the pictures. We have the same highchair and we got the same ladybug halloween costume for Susanna for next year. I also have a picture of one of our cats on her back on the floor next to Susanna (who is also on her back). They are looking at each other quite intently. Lots of similarities!

Jamelin

Mom to Susanna Frances 6/29/04