PDA

View Full Version : Totally Mortified! Need help re waxing on face

wagner36
12-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Okay, let me start by saying that I'm totally freaking out. I'm a fair, non-hairy person. All those bikini waxing threads a few weeks ago had me totally puzzled, since I've never had to even think about waxing or shaving.

I was just in the bathroom at work, and I realized why my mouth has looked kind of funny lately - I have a mustache. The words hurt to type. Upon closer inspection, I have all of this hair growth on the sides of my face. I've been on a high dose of prednisone for about 4 months, and I knew this was a side-effect, but I've been much too busy worry about the 35-pound weight gain and acne to inspect my face for a mustache and long hair by my ears.

What, oh what do I do? If I wax it, won't it grow in worse? Once I'm off this drug (which I keep hoping will happen) won't it go away? Will I screw up the fact that it is supposed to go away if I wax it? I called my dr. already, but he is no help.

Does anyone wax? What about those little wands on infomericals?

Oh, I'm so depressed now. How terrible.

jd11365
12-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Ah, the infamous question, to wax or not to wax? Well, you could bleach, but then you look like you have a blonde mustache...not attractive. Personally, I prefer to Nair it when necessary...quick, easy, painless, and doesn't seem to grow back at break-neck speed.

Good luck!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030501/1/0/1/-5/.png

ktdid74
12-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Hee-Hee, you don't want to know what awful things I've done to facial hair. I wax my brows which is great- keeps things under control. Sally Hansen makes a nice Nair-like facial hair remover product. It has a little brush to apply the goop. I tried waxing my 'stache but my skin was so sensitive I had a blistery red mustache instead. I tend to pluck stray hairs I find anywhere else.
I almost feel the need to post a pic of myself so that you don't think I'm some yetti or something. I just have dark hair and fair skin so facial hair is very obvious :) At least yours will go away after the meds- mine's genetic ;)

DDowning
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Like the PP, I have a genetic disposition to facial hair (and body hair for that matter) as well. With that in mind, I have three words for you:

Laser Hair Removal

Yes, its feel like getting snapped by small rubber bands and its a bit more expensive but the results are fantastic. When I would wax, I inadvertantly would wind up ripping skin. Shaving while quick and easy, just causes stubble and gets worse as you keep it up. Going laser has about 30 minutes of minor discomfort and the redness goes away in about an hour; but the duration lasts weeks and after 5-6 treatments becomes more permanent with just a touch up maybe once or twice a year after that.

Hope that helps!

missmelis01
12-27-2004, 03:40 PM
I experienced a major surge in facial hair growth when I hit 30, and it totally went out of control when I was pregnant. I have blonde hair and really fair skin, so it pains me to say, but laser hair removal is not an option... :-(

Like pp, I tried waxing the lip area and got red blisters/welts instead, which lasted for almost 2 days. And though it looked good after the blisters went away, I felt totally self conscious (not sure why) and couldn't bring myself to get my lip waxed every 4-5 weeks.

I have never tried the Sally Hansen stuff, but I may sneak some in the house when DH is out one week-end afternoon. I am hoping once I stop BF and my hormones return to "normal," so too will the hair growth.

I unfortunately am not much help, but I know how you feel! More importantly, thank you for posting such a difficult topic. Here's to less hair in 2005!!! ;-)

wendmatt
12-27-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm so sorry your meds have caused the hair growth. I've noticed more facial hair lately since I stopped nursing after 2 years, but it's not too much and I just tweeze odd ones out.
Waxing is quick and easy...get it done in a reputable salon as you can get some skin pulled off if you don't know what you are doing.
I like waxing but the cream remover would be OK too, def don't shave. Upper lip waxing hurts...sorry to say! But it lasts a good long while.
I think the little wands are just little razors, but I'm not sure.
Sorry I wasn't much help!

jgirl
12-27-2004, 08:05 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my son was on the same meds as you from 3 mo until he was 10 mo and he grew a 'stach too.

I just looked and I don't see it anymore.

Melanie
12-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Has anyone had "threading" done?

I'm blessed with very light blonde body hair on my face, but there's still way too much of it for my comfort! I've done the Sally hansen's but not terribly happy with the results...it smells like nair and takes quite a long time and burns and of course, it still grows back and in the meantime feels stubbly!

jd11365
12-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Yes, but the benefit is accuracy which you don't need with a lip wax. Remember the Epilady...as I shudder at the memory...well, threading is like that, the hair gets caught in the threads as they are rolled together over the hair. It's a slower version of waxing, but for eyebrows it's fantastic...excellent accuracy!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030501/1/0/1/-5/.png

Marisa6826
12-27-2004, 09:14 PM
I have my eyebrows threaded and love it. I find that it's much more accurate than waxing and lasts much longer.

In fact, I willingly drive a half hour and subject myself to Hoboken parking to get it done!! :)

-m

jamsmu
12-27-2004, 09:21 PM
UGH!! Epilady--yikes!

kristine_elen
12-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Some laser places now will "dye" your hair dark just before the treatment so that you can still have it done even if you have light hair. I've never done it and don't know much about it, but I did see that on a Web site somewhere.

ribbit1019
12-27-2004, 11:00 PM
I was on prednisone once too, hang in there, yucky stuff. I've bleached, waxed, plucked and Nair'd. All I can say is try a little of all and see what works. My 'stache has seemed to have gone away while I am nursing, TG. But I know it will some back, lovely german genes. :)
I preferred Nair and bleaching in between, bleaching seemed to make the stuble less noticeable and that way I didn't have to Nair as often. Be VERY careful if you choose to Nair and start with small amounts of time and build up to just when it removes the hair. It has been a little while, but I am pretty sure the box says 5 min? I left mine on 2 1/2 max to avoid swelling and welts. I would also ice immeadiately after especially if I had to leave the house right afterwards. Lovely beauty routine I know... :) GL!!

Christy

Mooma to Maddy 06/09/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050609/2/13/0/-5/.png[/img][/url]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/superpower.gif http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img}

bostonsmama
12-27-2004, 11:17 PM
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, and with it comes increased levels of testosterone. Fortunately, I don't have hirsutism on a major scale, but I've noticed a little more facial fuzz than usual. I'm trying to ignore it, though. My mother has the most horrible pruning (wrinkles) around the mouth...and she's only in her mid 50s. And she attributes those wrinkles (which she only has around the mouth) to years of using Nair to bleach and burn away her upper lip hair. Now, there is no limit to the cost she is spending at Estee Lauder and Lancome counters trying to diminish those deep lines. Because of that, I'm trying to just cover up my fuzz with makeup until my hormones return to normal, but I might try a wax if it doesn't let up. I guess if this is something that will be around long term I'll look into that laser removal. I'm sure it's at least $500 for a series of treatments, but it might be worth it if you factor in getting 5 years worth of monthly professional waxings.

DDowning
12-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately, there is no cure for PCOS. I was diagnosed with this years ago and the hirsutism started off a small scale too but had become more prominent as I got older.

aliceinwonderland
12-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I second the laser removal suggesion. A good friend of mine and her mom do it for a living (her mom owns the business that actually does the laser stuff for some of Boston's nice spas (an outsourcing of sorts??), and I'll be happy to pass on any questions you might have to her... I know some people (due to skin pigmentation, etc.) they do not do the removal on, because it would not work.

My sister did it for her legs (she's not that hairy, just hates shaving and wanted to be done with it).

ppshah
12-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Well I come from a hairy family- so I routinely wax my upper lip and eyebrows. I do it at home- myself. It's cheaper and I was tired of getting burned/skin pulled off at salons. I need to do it once/month (Although practically I do once every 2-3 months). I use a product called Moom- it's all natural and water soluable so clean-up is easy.

hth- and hopefully it's just a temporary problem for you.