PDA

View Full Version : Using teeth whitener when nursing?

juliajaj
12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
I've read some information stating that nursing mothers shouldn't use teeth whitening products. I think it's due to the flouride, but I'm can't remember the exact details. I thought one of the articles said it's safe to use teeth whitening toothpastes, just not the whitening dental products (such as the strips or paint on products).

Just curious to see if you've heard this & if anyone can recommend a teeth whitening toothpaste. I'm a coffee drinker (1-2 cups/day) & I think over time, the caffeine has stained my teeth.

Thanks.

bcafe
12-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I asked this very question when I was nursing DD. I was interested in the professional strength Crest whitestrips from the dentist office. My hygenist called Crest, and they said not to use it when nursing. But, alas, I can't remember the exact reason. These were the professional strength though, so maybe call the company? As for toothpaste, I can't live without Arm&Hammer baking soda/whitening paste. Nothing makes my teeth feel cleaner. HTH
Betsy

StaceyKim
12-27-2004, 07:31 PM
I think the reason is because the product is fairly new and they don't want lawsuits, etc. I haven't used tooth whitening products in almost 3 years because it.

Teeth Whitener
09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi! I didn't know that teeth whiteners are not allowed to nursing women. I will surely stop using it now. I would need to ask my OB about it too. Thanks for the heads up.

wellyes
09-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Not OK when pregnant due to the peroxide. But when nursing it's OK, per Kellymom via Thomas Hale - http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/mom-activities.html#toothwhite

Tooth whiteners According to my references, teeth whiteners are carbamide peroxide, which is just a stabilized formulation of hydrogen peroxide. When it touches tissue, it releases pure hydrogen peroxide almost immediately. Its transfer to the plasma is minimal, if at all. According to Thomas Hale, PhD (in Medications and Mothers' Milk), "it would be all but impossible for any to reach breastmilk except under extreme overdose." Even if absorbed, it would be metabolized in seconds.
Welcome Teeth Whitener! Your username made me laugh :) We just had a thread about how we all came up with our usernames and I bet when you're on post 4525 you'll be asked about yours LOL!