PDA

View Full Version : OT - BC Question - Any experience with "the patch" or "the ring"?

murpheyblue
12-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Now that DD has weaned I can get off the mini-pill. My OBGYM suggested the patch or the ring. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I was on the regular pill before trying to conceive DD.

Jacksonvol
12-27-2004, 08:35 PM
I have had the patch for about 2 months. I think it is similar to the Yasmin (sp?) pill I was on prior to conception. When I went back on the patch, I had the slight "icky" feeling I had when I started the pill. It only lasted for a few days. I have not had a problem with skin irritation and I have to say I love not having to take a pill everyday. It costs about the same as my pill (ask your OB/GYN for a couple of the starter packs the drug reps leave.)

We talked about the ring and it looked pretty cool and easy to use, but I think the patch was a better fit for my lifestyle. I know it is there, but I don't think about it unless I'm in the shower. It comes with little stickers to use to help you remember when to change patches.

g-mama
12-27-2004, 08:38 PM
I've been on the patch for 4 months now and I'm really happy with it. I'd been taking the pill for several months before that, and although I took it religiously for 10 years before having babies, I could NOT get myself to remember taking it with enough regularity now that my life is a lot busier and less structured. I've had no problems or side effects with the patch and would highly recommend it.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

lisaE
12-27-2004, 09:45 PM
I used the ring for a short while- I got really crampy and nauseated with it. I mean throwing up and everything. I felt better 3 hours after I took it out. 3 hours is the length of time the hormones/ contraceptive effects stay in your body.

I am very hormone-sensitive, though. I know people who have used it for a while now and love it. It may give you a LOT of discharge, that's a common side effect. (Gross, I know. Sorry.)

Rachels
12-27-2004, 10:38 PM
I tried the Patch and was violently ill. It was horrific, but I think it's like the Pill in that what works for one person will not work for another. It's a try-and-see thing.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

mamahill
12-27-2004, 10:58 PM
I tried the ring and spotted for two weeks before getting a full-blown week-long period. It might have not happened again, but I just went back to my pill. That was enough for me. I liked the idea, but it didn't work for me. I say anything is worth trying once.

bostonsmama
12-27-2004, 11:40 PM
I went on the patch (Ortho Evra) for about 6 months when it first came out almost 2 years ago. I liked it a lot. I'm scatter-brained when it comes to remembering a birth control pill. Turns out I didn't need it because I was as barren as the Sahara Dessert...but that's another story. No ill effects. Easy to apply and discreet. Although after Day 4 it started to get the bandaid effect (dark and gummy around the perimeter...not so sexy). I liked it and would try it again when I'm not ttc.

babymama
12-28-2004, 11:16 AM
No personal experience with the patch/ring, but I wanted to tell you that my good friend from college is an OB/GYN and she swears by the patch. She uses it personally and loves it.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

daisymommy
12-28-2004, 03:23 PM
LOVE-LOVE-LOVE the patch! I will never go back to using another form of BC again! I liked that I changed it every Sunday morning, and then forgot about it for a whole week. I also had no side effects from it what-so-ever. The only way I knew I was wearing it was I never got pregnant ;) I have tried numerous other things (pill, Depro-Provera shot, Norplant implant, etc.) and they all gave me horrible side-effects. But the patch was great!

olim
12-30-2004, 04:32 AM
My OB/GYN gave me the ring after DD was born. I stopped using it after two weeks. It kept falling out!