PDA

View Full Version : OT: Selling a car - do I draw up a bill of sale?

deborah_r
12-28-2004, 12:34 PM
We are selling a car to an acquaintance. It has been sitting around for about a year and we know it needs repairs. We told him about these needed repairs, and lowered the price accordingly. Is there some paperwork we should draw up so he can't come back and say "oh, there's something else wrong with it" and get us to pay for it? I have no idea how this works, I have always traded in cars. We're not trying to be unfair to him, we've told him all we know, but I don't want to lose any more than we already are on the deal (We are selling it WAY cheap). I guess I'm saying we agreed to sell it "as is" and he agreed to buy it "as is", so is there a contract we should draw up that states exactly that?

steph2003
12-28-2004, 12:53 PM
There are forms for this - you can pull them off online. Sorry I don't have a specific online source for you. My DH did it when he sold his Jeep via the classifieds. It basically said the buyer understood the car was being sold "as is." I forget exact wording...but I do know the forms are out there!

amp
12-28-2004, 02:35 PM
We did. We just wanted to be sure and we had him sign a copy upon purchase. It just said the name, date, car year/make/mode and "As is" on it. I don't know if it would have held water in court, but I felt better doing it, and he didn't mind signing.

pritchettzoo
12-28-2004, 03:28 PM
You can buy one at an office supply store or online, or you can google for your state's requirements for a bill of sale for an automobile. He'll need the bill of sale to get the title transferred, and you'll need to keep a copy in case he gets into an accident with the car and someone wants to sue the owner of the car. And yes, write AS IS on there in large print! ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

urquie
12-28-2004, 04:17 PM
i recently asked the same question (are car had issues too).
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=148296&mesg_id=148296&listing_type=search

and here is the simple form we used -

BILL OF SALE - USED AUTOMOBILE

BUYER _______________________________________________

SELLER ______________________________________________

DATE OF SALE ________________________________________

PLACE OF SALE _______________________________________

VEHICLE SOLD _______________________________________

VIN ________________________

PRICE PAID $ _________________ PAID IN FULL!

VEHICLE SOLD AS IS. NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER.

SIGNATURE OF BUYER ____________________________________

SIGNATURE OF SELLER _____________________________________

THIS VEHICLE NOW BELONGS TO THE BUYER!