PDA

View Full Version : can someone summerize what weisbluth says about 18 months and up??

lizajane
12-28-2004, 03:46 PM
i borrowed the book so i can't refer back to it. in regards to the waking too early post, i am very interested in what he says but don't know if it is worth seeking the whole book again.

thanks!!

christic
12-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Not much! I have the book and went back to it again and again looking for an answer to my daughter's early waking. All I really learned was that sometimes going to bed earlier works, going to bed later rarely works, and that some babies are just early risers. Alice fell into the last category unfortunately--must be all those farmers in her family tree :).

I'd heard that Ferber had some advice regarding adjusting nap times and how that affects wake up time, but I never looked into it.

Good news is that at least for us it was something she grew out of as her sleep patterns changed. At 18 mos Alice NEVER slept past 5:45 am, now at 2 1/2 she reliably sleeps until 6:30, sometimes even 7:30.

KrisM
12-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Let's see. There is just over 1 page of specific 18-21 month old info. Basically, it talks about the morning nap disappearing.

In the section "Getting Up Too Early", which is in the 13-36 month chapter, it says that if he gets up at 5 or 6 am and seems well-rested, it might not be a changeable pattern. You could try room darkening shades, bringing him into bed with you, or a feeding with the hope that after a bottle, he'll go back to sleep for a bit.

If he is not well-rested, it says to not go to him before the wake-up hour. It also says the early waking might be caused by going to sleep too late.

Not too much help, it seems.