PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use a power toothbrush?

momtoemma
12-28-2004, 11:39 PM
I've been having some problems with my gums receding plus plaque build-up on my teeth, and I'm wondering if I'm not brushing my teeth properly. I'm thinking about trying a power/battery-operated toothbrush to make sure that I'm brushing the right way. Has anyone here tried one and if so, did you think it was a good purchase? I'd welcome any recommendations

Thanks,

DebbieJ
12-28-2004, 11:55 PM
If you're willing to spend, go with a Sonicare. It's what my dentist recommends and both my DH and I have seen our plaque build up diminish tremendously by using it.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

kaitlinsmommy
12-29-2004, 12:58 AM
DH & I use a Sonicare Elite & really like it. DH now says he feels like only get clean with the Sonicare. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

kijip
12-29-2004, 01:42 AM
I have been using a Sonicare for 4 years now and love it. Best $100 (they were more expensive then---now I see them for $60) I ever spent! The Sonicare can be bought and then shared with other family members (aka spouse) by using separate heads. The battery ones are not as nice. I suggest one with a plug in charger.

Regardless of the kind of brush you use, the very best thing you can do for your plaque issue is to floss carefully 1-2 per day. It is a pain, and few people do it but the floss will take care of alot of the plaque.

deborah_r
12-29-2004, 01:42 AM
While not specific to the electric toothbrush part of the question, I had a dentist tell me once to always use soft bristles (never hard) and to brush your gums as well as your teeth, massage in little circles, but not with a lot of pressure.

I use an Oral-B electric and I like it. But I have heard great things about Sonicare as well.

tippy
12-29-2004, 05:52 AM
I also use the Sonicare. I have the older model. I bought it at (where else?) Costco. It was cheaper there than anywhere else and I got an extra brush (base and all).
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

jd11365
12-29-2004, 08:20 AM
I stopped using my Sonicare because it was too harsh on my enamel. You're only supposed to lightly brush, and the Sonicare was causing more problems for me than before I used it. Check with your dentist. It was recommended by her first, but then after I was having enamel problems, it seems my pattern of brushing was too hard and now I use just the regular soft toothbrush.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030501/1/0/1/-5/.png

lukkykatt
12-29-2004, 09:38 AM
I was involved in a toothbrush study at the U of P some years ago. It compared brushing results between power and regular toothbrushes. The bottom line was that if you can get just as good results from a regular as a power toothbrush IF you are brushing properly.

One easy thing to do is to set a timer to make sure that you are brushing long enough - many people don't. If you would rather get a power brush you don't need to spend alot - DH uses a spin brush and has seen great improvement.

Also, for the PP's who said that they were seeing enamel wear, you can try brushing with your other hand - sometimes people just press too hard.

StaceyKim
12-29-2004, 10:54 AM
the Sonicare IntelliClean (it is the newest Sonicare to the market). I am lucky to have tried pretty much every power toothbrush out there because my dad gets them. I really love the Sonicare!

Momof3Labs
12-29-2004, 01:18 PM
My dad is a dentist, too, and recommends the Crest Spin Brush as a good, inexpensive electric toothbrush.

murpheyblue
12-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Both my dentist and periodontist recommend electric brushes. DH and I use an old Oral B model and it works great. Makes teeth cleaning time at the dentist a lot easier.

daisymommy
12-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Hopefully SmileQueen will chime in here :)

I used to work as a dental assistant, and here's an un-official opinion: if you have receeding gums and plaque build up you probably need a proffessional gingivitis cleaning (not a regular tooth polishing), and then the use of a daily gingivitis mouthwash (such as Listerine) to kill the bacteria that is causing the problem. Just brushing harder, better, or with a power toothbrush won't cure the problem, and could only make matters worse by inflaming your gums and pushing plaque under them and into the bloodstream. I'd schedule a checkup with your dentist as soon as possible.

amp
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
My dentist recommended an electric toothbrush years ago. I didn't get one, but now that I am married, we have one and I like it. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I feel like it does. I feel like my teeth are cleaner and I feel like the hygienist has less tarter buildup to remove at my 6 mth cleanings. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and we have a Braun Oral B, but when we replace it, we'd be willing to try any of them on the market, including the same one if that's where we got a good deal.

smilequeen
12-29-2004, 08:31 PM
You should probably check with your dentist/dental hygeinist about the way you are brushing your teeth...make sure you use an extra soft brush and light pressure and they can tell you if your technique is OK.

That said, fwiw, I am a dentist and I use an electric brush...the newer Oral B Professional series. It has two movements and if you put too much pressure on, it stops moving in and out (the direction that would be hardest on your gums/enamel). I've used Sonicare and liked it too, but I like this one more. Of course, things change all the time and I'm out on maternity leave so I could be missing something new and exciting :)