PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a wood playset - what should I offer for this?

steph2003
12-29-2004, 10:39 AM
We have a friend who is a realtor & has a client who wants to sell his kid's playset. They are not able to move it with them for whatever reason. I know the wooden ones are pricier & nice but I have NO idea how much they go for brand new - the seller said make him an offer but I'm not even sure what to offer! Here are the pictures...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18973.jpg

janeybwild
12-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Don't know if this helps, but here goes. When we bought our house the yard had a swing set in it. They were asking $500 for it as an extra. Our realtor said that these sets don't always do well when moved. When I asked her what she meant by that, she said that once put together, they are hard to disassemble and aren't always as sturdy when put back up. She was able to use that argument to get them to leave it for free. Perhaps others here can tell you if that is a valid concern, because I suspect it would dramatically affect the price you pay. New, these things go for $1000 and up from what I can tell (more for ones with actual wooden house tops). Assuming it can be moved and will be safe, my offer would be $200 perhaps going to $300? That is totally off the top of my head! Good luck!

searchdog
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
A friend of mine bought a swing set similar to this and they paid $100 for it used and they had to move it themselves, which was a major pain. It was worth it for them in the long run, but they had to rent a trailer (a big one) to move it. They recently moved and did not take it with them even though the new homeowners didn't want it. They ended up buying a new one from Costco that was $1000 that is really awesome. It isn't on the website right now but my local Costco did get them back in before Christmas, I think they had it for $1200, but they usually have a sale on it in the spring/summer.

So factor in if you are able to move it yourselves or if you are going to have to pay someone or a company to move it for you. My honest opinion would be to not go over $200. BTW we plan to replace the swingset that came with our house this summer if DD has an interest in it and I plan to sell it for $100 and the new owner gets to move it.

Momof3Labs
12-29-2004, 01:23 PM
That's pretty basic as far as wood playsets go (we installed one this fall). I agree that it probably isn't worth paying more than $200 if you have to break it down, move it, and put it back up again. A friend of ours has the Costco one for $1000 and it is VERY nice - much nicer than this unit, plus you don't have to go through tearing it down like you would this one.