PDA

View Full Version : Good baby stores in Chicago?

smilequeen
12-29-2004, 08:35 PM
We are going to Chicago in a few weeks and again in Feb. We are staying on Michigan Ave. both times. I lived there for 4 years, but that was pre-marriage, pre-baby, so I can shop like crazy for myself, but right now I want to shop for Simon :) but I don't really know what the cool or unique baby/children's stores are...any suggestions? For clothes or cool toys :)

StaceyKim
12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Have fun shopping!
here are a few suggestions:

Active Endeavors/Kids in Lincoln Park on Armitage for hip clothes
Wear me out in Lakeview on Southport Ave-great clothes
http://www.madisonandfriends.com/ on Rush St-Gold Coast Lili Gaufrette and other top designer clothes
Piggy Toes- for naturino & other great shoes! LOVE this place!
2205 N. Halsted, Chicago

I know you won't be going to the burbs but Highland Park has an adorable store called E Street Kids and they carry Juicy, Wes & Willy, Levi, Haute, etc.

HTH

C99
12-29-2004, 10:18 PM
There isn't a lot right downtown. There is a Galt Toys in the Shops at North Bridge center (500 N. Michigan, I think). That shopping center also has an Oilily, Lego, Nordstrom and, I think, a Benetton Kids. There's a Jacadi and a Thomas the Tank Engine (Little Blue Engine #1, I think it's called) store in Water Tower Place.

If are willing to venture north, LMNOP on Lincoln is supposed to be a good place for boys' boutique clothing. For toys: Building Blocks on Lincoln @ School Street (across the street from the Whole Foods), Timeless Toys in Lincoln Square on Lincoln @ Lawrence, and Toys & Treasures on Clark in Andersenville. Also in Andersenville is the Swedish Bakery (yum!), the Women & Children's Bookstore, and Alamo Shoes.

HGraceMom
12-30-2004, 11:28 AM
LOVE madison and friends - across the street less than one block one way or the other is a fabulous bookstore, I'm almost positive it's children-only... A must stop for DD & mommy :)

kensjen
12-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Love the stores in Highland Park! My MIL and FIL live there, so we always head down there when we are in town. We shop after eating at Walker Bros. of course!!

There is a maternity store with great diaper bags, I think it is called Belly Dance...?? Anyway, there is some fun unique stuff in that area! Not too many bargains, though!

Stacey, do you live around there?

StaceyKim
12-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes, I live in the North Shore. HP is a few miles north of me and I go there all the time. I love Michael's & Country Kitchen! I have also been to Walker Bros too.

kensjen
12-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh, that is funny!! Country kitchen is one of our faves as well. Every time we go in there, DH runs into someone from high school. LOL And Michael's...wish we had that by our home now, that sounds good.

We have soo many relatives in the area...HP, Northbrook, Deerfield, Glenview....I look forward to the visits only because of the shopping! (NOT because of the In laws! LOL)

ETA: Karen, I am so sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!! I can't help too much for downtown shopping. If you had a girl, I'd say get your butt to the American girl store! hehe :)

StaceyKim
12-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Jen,
I just noticed that you live in MA. That is where I am from! I am a tranplant to IL! What area do you live in? I am from just west of Boston.

kensjen
12-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Stacey,
I sent you a PM. :)

sadie427
12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Psycho Baby in Wicker Park is fun (although pricey), and I think they're having a sale throughout January. I believe it's on Damen Ave. There are some good restaurants in that area, including Piece for pizza (although probably only baby-friendly in the daytime or quite early evening). It's all near the Blue Line Damen stop.

Downtown, as I think Caroline mentioned, the mall w/ Nordstrom has some kid chain stores and a lego store. There are family restrooms all thru the Nordstrom and mall, lots of highchairs in the food court, kid snacks in the coffee bar, etc, so a quite family friendly mall.

Nordstrom Rack on state street often has good deals on toys and shoes (just picked up a pair of Elefantens for $12, regularly $50+), has kids clothes as well but I've never found anything I liked there. The Filene's Basement on Michigan ave north of Chicago Ave has a decent kids section, seemed like lots of RL and Mulberribush, not dirt-cheap but at a discount. I actually like H and M next door for toddler boy, and the prices are great.

Lastly, it's not worth a special trip, but if you go to the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park, there's a great toy store called Toys Etcetera as well as a baby store called baby PhD (but I think it's just ok). They are in Harper Court off 53rd st, a reasonable walk from the museum.

And I've stopped in LMNOP, they had great stuff for boys that you wouldn't see in other places, although pretty pricey (I didn't spend a lot of time there, but I don't think you could put an outfit together for less than $50-60.)