PDA

View Full Version : Flying with our dog - how dangerous? (long)

jesseandgrace
12-29-2004, 09:30 PM
We are going to be in California for at least 6 months, and we really want our dog to be with us. She can stay here (Boston) with my aunt who she has been with for the past 6 months on and off while we go back and forth, but now we are going to be there for a long stretch. I know she loves my aunt, but she is our dog, and I think dogs prefer to be with their own families, and we really miss her. I don't want to be selfish and take her if she is better off just staying here, but I think she will want to be with us!

The problem is, we are not sure how to get her out there. I am really scared of putting her under the plane - she is pretty much a wimpy dog. She is a mutt but looks just like a Schnauzer. She is about 26 pounds, so too big for the cabin. Am I being crazy and it is safe enough? We would be flying from Boston (so it might be very cold) to San Jose or san Francisco - so decent weather, and we would fly non-stop.

Our other option is to have dh rent a car or u-haul and drive her out. This is expensive, about $500 for a car and about $1300 for a Uhaul and then hotels, gas, and food. This is the option dh wants, but that is because I'm sure 7 or so days on his own with some peace and quiet sounds pretty good to him, but I'm sure the reality will be him missing us :). I don't love it because it puts me in Boston for a week by myself trying to leave the house show ready to sell, flying across the country alone with a very energetic 4 yo and 18 month old, and most of all it will cost about $500 to $1,000 more than flying at least! Normally that would be ok, and that is why we originally planned it this way, but since our house has not sold yet that is more of a concern.

Any ideas?

Marisa6826
12-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Jennifer-

What about holding off till it's a bit warmer to fly the dog out? Most breeders I know won't fly a dog if it's below 40-45 degrees or over 75.

Honestly, the change in home and community will be MUCH harder on your dog. They're creatures of habit and tend to not do well with change. Besides, it would give you time to settle along with your kids and it sounds like she's content with your aunt for now.

I've travelled with animals and it's a big challege.

Good luck

-m

jasabo
12-29-2004, 09:52 PM
While I know people fly every day with dogs, I would never put my dogs on a plane. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be for them to be locked up in a kennel and stored in with a bunch of baggage in a freezing cold plane - my dogs are very spoiled and I honestly think they'd die of fright. And I've read too many horror stories about people's dogs dying during flights. I read one about a plane that was held up on the runway for hours and a person's dog died during the wait - I think he froze to death or something. I used to belong to PETA, and they wrote about all those horribly sad stories in their newsletter.

In your situation, I would have my dh drive the dog out. Or I'd offer to drive and have him fly out with the kids ;) When we moved from DC to AZ, we drove with dh in one car with the boys and me in the other car with the dogs. He wanted to fly and ship the cars, but I refused to put the dogs on the plane.

JMO though. Like I said, people do it every day with no problems.

Lisa - mom to 18 month old twin boys

jesseandgrace
12-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I guess I already knew i wouldn't be able to let her fly, I just had to have some back up :). She is really wimpy in a cute way, so I am positive she would be terrified. I guess we just have to decide if she would be better with us or staying here!

ethansmom
12-29-2004, 11:18 PM
So glad to hear she won't be flying! I've dealt w/ a lot of international relocations, and dogs DO die due to cold or heat extremes in the luggage hold. BTW, these extremes are on the runway, not during the flight!

I haven't heard of, or experienced one dying of fright, but I think my (incredibly sweet!) sissy pooch would!

People often suggest tranquilizers, but dogs can have bad reactions and the plane can also be delayed....

How long will you be gone? Depending on that, I think you should either leave her w/your aunt or spend the money to drive.

Hmm...I totally understand being jealous of DH getting the time in the car...$100 for a massage seems like a very fair trade! ;-)

jenmcadams
12-30-2004, 07:26 AM
I've never flown with our dogs, but my sister just flew with her new dog (much bigger -- 65 lb shepard mix) for Christmas and it went fine. We just relocated to FL from CO and my DH and his dad drove the dogs (we have a husky and a yellow lab) out in our SUV. They did great and it worked out fine...since there were two of them, they drove long days, stayed in motels that allowed dogs and got out here in about 2 1/2 days. I flew out separately with Abbie and did the final stuff aournd our house. One other thing to consider is if you're doing any kind of corporate relocation and can expense it, there are companies that do pet relocation -- some of them fly and some of them drive. A few seemed reputable, but you could probably find out more if you have a corporate relocation company. My husband's new company is kind of cheap, so even though I was able to finagle packers, loaders and a truck, there wasn't really the unlimited budget we've had in the past for relocation...I coordinated everything and barely got the actualk move done for what they gave us for relocation -- their budget didn't even include our plane tickets or my DH's travel expenses (sorry for the OT rant :))

Anyways, good luck and let me know if you need names of good movers ... I finally found some that are reasonable and that I'd recommend to anyone.

jesseandgrace
12-31-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, we are taking her. We took her sledding and she just had so much fun with us, I think she is better off with her family, even if she has to change locations, so WE ARE ALL DRIVING. I know it is razy, but when i weighed spending the week alone with the two kids while trying to leave the house in show ready condition to sell, and then flying across the country alone with them (we have a VERY energetic 4 yo), I chose the lesser of 2 evils! I figure if it is a nightmare we will stop in Chicago or wherever, and hop on a plane and let dh drive the rest himself. Since we can fly into San Fran, Oakland or San Jose there seems to always be a good last minute ticket available, and at this point I should know :).

Buffys Mommy
12-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Jennifer,

I'm glad you are able to take your dog with you.

By the way, where in Northern California are you moving to? I'm in Santa Clara, and there are several other board members in the area.

Tammie
Momma to Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

JuJuE
12-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow! You are certainly brave! Good luck :)

jesseandgrace
12-31-2004, 05:11 PM
We are moving to Los Altos, so I think that is right by Santa Clara!