PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of Wine Chiller/Cellar? Anyone have one?

bostonsmama
12-29-2004, 09:55 PM
DH and I are lined up to receive 15 or so bottles of vintage port for our approaching 3 year anniversary. The bottles range from the 1950s to 1980s. Needless to say, the benefactors (my aunt and uncle) would like us to have a nice sized wine cellar/chiller/cooler ready for the bottles when they arrive. I'd like a very fine quality wine chiller/cellar with a single, digitally adjustable temperature & humidity zone; glass doored; under $2000; with a capacity between 150-250 bottles. I've seen Haier, Koolspace and Transtherm. I'm sure I could go down to the local Home Depot and get an EWave or Whirlpool, but my aunt told me a horror story of the cooling core going out on one of their first cheapies and an entire collection of vintage Fonsecas got ruined. Plus, my aunt says if we get a nice cellar, she just might have to restock it when it gets empty. Hee hee.

Does anyone own one? Does anyone have access to Consumer Reports online to see if one of their articles mentions any brand reliability? I imagine we'll be "aging" the older bottles for quite a while. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

bostonsmama
12-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Beth H, so much for your research skills in getting me that copy of Consumer Reports reviews. It looks like the SubZero chiller might do us well. I'm just scoping out local websites to see if there are any steals. Frankly, though, I'm just blown away wondering what we did to deserve such a gift!

If there's still anyone out there who has a recommendation....I'm up for it! TIA.