PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhoto Question (Mac)

jd11365
12-29-2004, 10:27 PM
I have 963 photos in my Photo Library. I set up albums on the left and moved the pics to the correct locations. It just copies them into the album and leaves all of them in the Library. Is this right? I'd like to have them all organized and separated into the albums, but when I go to delete them off the main Library, it deletes them from both the album and the library. Make sense?

Any suggestions? I want to clear the Library because it takes forever to open now...

TIA!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030501/1/0/1/-5/.png

Marisa6826
12-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Nope - you can't delete from the main library. The individual albums are only for organization purposes - not storage. Make sense??

As far as how long it takes to load, when is the last time you ran your software update? There were loading problems with an older version. You can also try defragmenting your hard drive.

We currently have 1074 pics and both of these tricks really helped.

HTH

-m

tarahsolazy
12-29-2004, 11:01 PM
You can also adjust the size of the thumbnail pics in the library, there's a slider bar in the lower right, just to the right of the organize/edit buttons. I made mine as small as it gets, and it seemed to open faster. I also agree on updating the software, I did that a few months ago, and the increase in speed for iPhoto was notable. I have iPhoto 4.0.3, and my Mac is a 2 yr old iBook G3, 800mHz. It runs lightning fast on my new work computer, which is a dual 1.8GHz G5, and which I want to marry. (except I'm already married, darn!)

Marisa6826
12-29-2004, 11:08 PM
We are also running iPhoto 4.0.3, but on a G4 PowerBook with 1.25 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM.

We upload on an older desktop, but the speed is pretty close now that we've updated the software.

-m

jd11365
12-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Ok, dumb question, how do I update? Does that mean going to buy another CD or is it something to download for free? Geez, I always feel like a moron asking computer questions, especially since I'm not new around a computer...

Thanks!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Marisa6826
12-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Open the program. Click on iPhoto at the top menu. Scroll down and click "check for updates" ;).

-m

tarahsolazy
12-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Just open up iPhoto, and under the iPhoto menu, upper left, click "About iPhoto, which will tell you what version you have. If its 4.0.3, you are updated. If not, you can go to the Apple website, under the "Downloads" menu, and get the newer version. Do you run Software Update for your computer? That should tell you when a newer version is available. I have also found that periodic maintenence will improve my Mac's speed in all things. I have a free program called Cocktail (from www.versiontracker.com), which, via its "Pilot" function, allows me to delete all the caches of temp files, run the regular maintenence tasks, and repair the disk permissions with one click. It was free. Doing these things keeps your puter in top shape! Sorry if you know all about this stuff, I sure didn't.

jd11365
12-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks girls! I ran Cocktail and now I'm smooth as silk...good to know! I'm updated too!
:)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03