PDA

View Full Version : Where are the large corporations to help with Tsunami disaster?

jd11365
12-30-2004, 10:43 AM
After hearing about how there are over 5 million people without basic necessities to stay alive, I wonder where the major corporations are. After hearing that babies are in need of formula and baby food, I wanted to run out and send a case...somewhere...of course where I would send it would be a problem since no one has an address in that part of the world anymore. Which got me thinking? Are the billion dollar formula empires doing something about this? I am so affected by this emotionally...I can hardly bear to watch the TV after last nights special w/ Charles Gibson. I was haunted all night with images of dead bodies, huge waves washing people out to sea, dead children in the arms of their screaming mothers, lost children... I don't think I could have ever imagined such a sight. It's like a horror movie.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030501/1/0/1/-5/.png

McQ
12-30-2004, 11:03 AM
I work for one of the big billion dollar global corporations and they are matching dollar for dollar any contribution we make to the International Red Cross.

ETA: that my company also did something similar after 9/11. We had clients at both the WTC and Pentagon and they matched dollar for dollar to a bunch of different charities/programs. They also donated services that we could help with. So some big guys do this, but you're right, other ones should step it up!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

hez
12-30-2004, 11:23 AM
I had to turn it off last night. It makes me too sad.

I also work for one of the big guys-- there are at least 6 million + PUR 'Purifier of Water' sachets on their way through Americares & Samaritan's Purse. Out of everything we make, I would personally think this is the highest priority right now.

ETA: Along the lines of Allison's thoughts, my company also gives product/money via folks like Americares and the Red Cross to aid in large disasters. I personally think companies have to tred a fine line between tooting their own horns at what aid they give versus coming across as not helping at all.

momma_boo
12-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Last night on the news they were saying that Pfizer (the pharmaceutical company) was donating $35 million in money, supplies and medicine.

Hopefully that will encourage some of the other drug and consumer product companies to start sending items over.

jd11365
12-30-2004, 01:32 PM
That is so great to hear! Personally, I would feel better knowing I was buying from a company who was somehow helping than not. I was thrilled to see Amazon step up and make it easy for people to donate. It took all of 5 seconds for me to send some money. I'm sure, at least I hope, many large corporations will be stepping up in the next few weeks after now seeing the horrible events that have taken place. Boy, don't I sound like a sappy soul all of a sudden? Who knew? ;)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

hobey
12-30-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm w/ one of the big ones too and our foundation is working with our site in Malaysia to make sure the money that's donated is going to where it would help the most. In addition to a corporate donation, they're matching employee donations as well.

We lost an employee in Malaysia to the tsunami. :(

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

hez
12-30-2004, 02:29 PM
You asked, CNN answered:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/30/news/fortune500/corporate_aid/index.htm?cnn=yes

jd11365
12-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Feeling a little better about the world now.. Thanks for posting this!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

KrisM
12-31-2004, 08:25 AM
It's not on that CNN list, but I heard on our local news last night that GM is donating $1M and will do match employee donations up to another $1M.

DH and I were going to donate, but decided to wait until next week when he's back at work to see if the company will match or anything. We're not sure if they will do something like that or not.