PDA

View Full Version : OK, all of you Mac users.....;)

kensjen
12-30-2004, 07:33 PM
My earlier post has opened up a whole new world! I am seriously thinking about an iBook now. I have spent many hours today researching and learning about them...but as usual, I want to learn more from you. You all can teach me more in a few minutes than I can read about in a few days.

I have been reading specs on all of them, and I am wondering...what do I need? Which iBook should I get, what extras do I absolutely need, which extras are nice to have...etc...They do seem reasonably priced compared to the Dell I was looking at...so I can afford to get a bit fancy, or at least get some extras....

I guess I am just really afraid to make a decision on this. I haven't used an Apple since I think 4th grade! LOL And I am confused about some of the differences from a PC...and how will everything work...my printer, camera, etc...are they compatible....or what extras I will need to buy to make them compatible. I'm so sorry if I am making this harder than it really is, but remember this is all new to me! Some of my IRL friends have been Mac haters (LOL!) and have scared me...and they probably didn't even know what they were talking about. I plan to go to a local Apple store and talk to someone, but I am trying to learn all I can before I go. I hate to not know about something and then go in and have them try to sell me everything, KWIM? And everything is so darn PRETTY in those stores, so I am sure I could be suckered into things! hahaha

Thanks if you have made it this far. Your info is invaluable. I appreciate it so much, and so does DH. The less time I spend at apple.com means more time I can spend with him this holiday weekend. LOL!

Thank you!!!!

ETA: I meant to ask about the software...especially the OS. I know nothing about it, so any info would be fine. How do you like it, etc...And is there anything extra I would need to add, since none of my PC software is compatible? It looks like a lot of what I would need comes standard...but I'm still learning what some of it is. Thanks for putting up with me!!!! :)

pritchettzoo
12-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Not a Mac expert, but I'll add in my two cents.

Your camera is certainly compatible (you'll just have to plug it in with the USB cord and the Mac will recognize it), but check your printer. You can go to the manufacturer's website and double-check. I had a crappy old Lexmark that was not compatible with my iBook, but that was 3-4 years ago. Most printers' websites will allow you to download the driver you need.

I would get a DVD burner. Burning back up copies of pictures will be sooooooooooooooo much easier than with just a CD burner. DVDs hold billions more. And you can make cool movies with the Apple software.

Also, Apple Care (they may have changed the name?) is the additional manufacturer's warranty. Several years ago, it was reasonably priced and is through Apple, not a scam from the store like Best Buy's extended warranties are.

In terms of software, what will you be using the computer for? I added a Word package to mine since I was using it for school (and I got a good deal through my university bookstore on the student version). OS is the operating system (like Windows 2000 or Windows XP), and it comes on the computer. You can buy upgrades (or not) as it changes. There is a program that translates any Windows program to Mac, but I don't remember the name of it. You can hold off on extra programs until you figure out what you really need.

Have fun! We want pics of your new baby when you get it. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

kensjen
12-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks Anna! I appreciate your help, and hey! You gotta know more about it than I do!!

I really will only be using it for my SAHM kind of things..email, internet shopping (LOL), and photos...so it really looks like the software which is included will be enough. I guess it just seems less expensive than the other laptops I was looking at...so I feel like I am missing something. KWIM?

It looks like my printer is compatible, but I'll have to tell DH that it isn't! hahaha I just seem to have quite a bit left in my "allowance" for this, so I might as well get something!! LOL

I'm having fun, but just starting to get overwhelmed with all of the info, reviews,etc...so that is why I am asking all of you, I am hoping it is a shortcut to the real info, ya know?!

kristine_elen
12-30-2004, 08:30 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd call Apple or go to an Apple store (if there's one near you) and tell them your concerns. You could look up your printer online and see if it's compatible. Make sure it's not just "Mac compatible" but that it would work with the OS you'd be buying.

tarahsolazy
12-30-2004, 10:43 PM
The current top of the line iBook has a 1.33Gigahertz G4 processor, and a DVD burning drive, which also does CD-ROM and CD/RW burning and reading. It has a 14 in screen, which should be not too tiny.

Some Apple buying tips:

The processor speed is not comparable directly with Intel machines, so that 1.3 Gig Mac is like a 3 or 4 gig Pentium 4.

Some upgrades you will want are: the biggest hard drive you can get, which is 80gig; more memory (SDRAM), the computer comes with 256MB, upgrade it to 768, and the Apple Care plan is great, you get tech support and free repair for three years for $249.

An iBook with these upgrades is $2,023 from the Apple Store online. If you wanted to spend less, I'd skip the upgraded HD, but the memory and care plan will enhance your enjoyment of the machine. My little plug adapter broke, after 18mo, and it was replaced at the Apple Store in the mall, in five minutes, for free. That was a $150 part. I upgraded my memory to the maximum for my machine, and it fairly flys (I have 640MB)

kensjen
12-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, I am going to an Apple store this weekend, just trying to learn as much as I can before I go. I don't want to go there without knowing anything, because I feel like I will be labeled as a "sucker" and they will try to sell me everything. Maybe that is not their tactic and maybe they aren't on any type of commission, but that is always how I feel when I don't know about something. So just gathering up some last minute info!:)

kensjen
12-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks Tarah! That is too funny, that is the exact thing I had in my cart! I definitely wanted to upgrade the HD and memory. The tech support thing sounds great too.
DH has given me a $2500 budget for this, so I am pretty confident I can get all that I want/need. :)

HGraceMom
12-31-2004, 11:07 AM
The last time I was in the apple store, they were still running a great rebate for printers - when we bought our iMac in November, they had a $99 rebate on the in-store printers - I bought the standard $99 printer, so it was free - just a thought...

Also, you get free tech support for the first (I think) 90 days with your computer purchase - I was on the phone with them for a few hours figuring out the wireless router (we couldn't get our linksys system to talk to the apple card) and it was all free - they also helped my reformat my iPod from PC use to Mac use - the tech guys were very helpful.