PDA

View Full Version : How long have you left DC with family?

kelly ann
12-31-2004, 03:10 PM
DH and I are trying to plan a trip for about 4-5 days to warmer weather. We could take DS, but this will be the last time we will be able to get away as a couple for a LONG time as baby #2 is due in May. My inlaws have agreed to watch DS, but I just don't know if I should take them up on their offer.

We would be gone for 5 days/4 nights (3 weekdays and 2 weekend days). During the week, DS goes to daycare so they would only really care for him in the evenings on those days. The other thing is my inlaws don't speak the best English and I worry they may not be able to understand/communicate problems to others or may not truly understand the routine we have set for DS.

Am I worrying over nothing? Should I just take the trip and stop being a worrywart. Or should we just take DS on the trip with us. In case it matters, the longest they have watched him at a time is about 6 hours. Is it too much to expect them to watch him for 5 days? How will DS react to not seeing us for 5 days????

JLiebCamm
12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
We left Nate for 3 nights this summer with my mom and all went very well. He really didn't even act like anything out of the ordinary had happened when we picked him up. Since we'll have a newborn soon, I was very glad to get in one childfree vacation when we did. The only thing that may make your experience different from mine is that you sound like you're unsure if things will go OK with their understanding/communication. In my situation, I had no reservations about leaving him with my mom. If you're not sure, could you try an overnight with them first as a trial run before you commit to a bigger trip? Or possibly take a 3 night trip instead of 4-5 nights? Whatever you decide, I think you owe it to yourself to have a little vacation without DS before #2 comes along.

lizajane
12-31-2004, 04:10 PM
we left schuyler with my parents for that amount of time, almost exactly, i think. he was 14 months old. everyone did fine! i had some major heartache for one night, but did fine the rest of the time. of course, i was pregnant and at high altitude... so i was very focused on making sure i didn't get sick and i had to sleep a lot! my sister and brother in law were living with my parents, so they were able to help. BIL even took off one day to watch him all day (my parents had been sick and just recovered the day before we left!!!!!!!!) so they did have help from 30 year olds. they did remark that they totally forgot how time/energy consuming it was to care for a small child all day every day! he didn't nap well and he woke up early every morning. but he didn't cry all day for us or anything like that. my mom said he did the sign for milk a few times and looked at her like he was really asking for me. and he did ask about daddy a few times. (that was his only word at the time, other than hi and dog.)

overall, it was a positive experience and i do hope to go on a special mommy/daddy vacation when i wean this new baby- maybe when he is 18 months old. but my sister/BIL still live in the same town as my parents and would once again share responsibities with my 60 year old parents. so it wouldn't be as hard on them as it might be if they were alone in caring for 2 little kids. and schuyler will be 3.5 if we went somewhere when baby brother was 1.5. so he could be their "helper" with the small guy.

(note that i have no intention of leaving my kids with my inlaws in their house full of dangerous decorative crap and guns.)