PDA

View Full Version : MMR shot-Separate shots

jgv
01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Has anyone in the US actually gotten separate shots for Measles, mumps and rubella instead of the MMR combination shot? I know that those who don't vaccinate on the complete recommended schedule may PLAN to do these shots separately, but I was specifically wondering if anyone has accomplished this. Thx, JGV

jgv
Has anyone in the US actually gotten separate shots for Measles, mumps and rubella instead of the MMR combination shot? I know that those who don't vaccinate on the complete recommended schedule may PLAN to do these shots separately, but I was specifically wondering if anyone has accomplished this. Thx, JGV

jgv

kitmama
01-08-2005, 11:35 PM
We're not quite there yet (I am delaying the shot somewhat), so I can't say I've managed to get ds the separate shots. But yes, I do plan on finding them separately, and my ped says that it can be done but that they "can't" (won't) do it in their office. So I guess I really ought to start calling and see where it might be available. I'm going to try the community health service first.

kitmama
We're not quite there yet (I am delaying the shot somewhat), so I can't say I've managed to get ds the separate shots. But yes, I do plan on finding them separately, and my ped says that it can be done but that they "can't" (won't) do it in their office. So I guess I really ought to start calling and see where it might be available. I'm going to try the community health service first.

kitmama

Judegirl
01-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Our doctor's office routinely does them separately. Will keep you posted if you'd like...

Jude

Judegirl
Our doctor's office routinely does them separately. Will keep you posted if you'd like...

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

zen_bliss
01-10-2005, 01:42 AM
yes, we got individual shots, basically 'on schedule' but each a month apart. it was not an issue at all -- i made the request and the office had them available when we needed them.

zen_bliss
yes, we got individual shots, basically 'on schedule' but each a month apart. it was not an issue at all -- i made the request and the office had them available when we needed them.

zen_bliss

steph2003
01-10-2005, 10:00 AM
My pediatrician has told me she can get them separately for me if I request in advance - of course it is an out of pocket cost for me, but I am willing to pursue that so I can give them separately to him over several months.

steph2003
My pediatrician has told me she can get them separately for me if I request in advance - of course it is an out of pocket cost for me, but I am willing to pursue that so I can give them separately to him over several months.

steph2003

marinkitty
01-10-2005, 08:43 PM
When the time comes would you mind letting me know who makes each one? I was told last June by my ped. that it was no longer possible to do the separate shots in the U.S. b/c Merck (the only U.S. maker of the mumps shot) had stopped selling it here. So you could do measles and rubella but not mumps. I have been delaying the MMR - the soonest I'll do it is in March when she is two, but would love some "evidence" to bring to my ped. that this is in fact possible! Thanks!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

marinkitty
When the time comes would you mind letting me know who makes each one? I was told last June by my ped. that it was no longer possible to do the separate shots in the U.S. b/c Merck (the only U.S. maker of the mumps shot) had stopped selling it here. So you could do measles and rubella but not mumps. I have been delaying the MMR - the soonest I'll do it is in March when she is two, but would love some "evidence" to bring to my ped. that this is in fact possible! Thanks!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

marinkitty

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

steph2003
01-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Holly
I will certainly let you know. His 1 year appt is coming up here soon & that is when he is slated to get his MMR which I've already told his ped at his 9 month by no means will I give it to him at 1 year & then said can you split them? She said, yes but since they come in big separate vials you have to pay for them separately out of your pocket. She said in the past they have tried to coordinate parents who wanted to split them up - like say 5 parents who all needed just the mumps portion of it around the same time to split the cost of the mumps vial, but it just never worked out & was too much work to keep track. She told me a ballpark figure was $70 for each vial which $70 for each of the 3 components I will gladly pay for that peace of mind. I certainly hope she is not mistaken & can get them separate! I asked them about before my DS was even born while we were interviewing peds.

steph2003
Holly
I will certainly let you know. His 1 year appt is coming up here soon & that is when he is slated to get his MMR which I've already told his ped at his 9 month by no means will I give it to him at 1 year & then said can you split them? She said, yes but since they come in big separate vials you have to pay for them separately out of your pocket. She said in the past they have tried to coordinate parents who wanted to split them up - like say 5 parents who all needed just the mumps portion of it around the same time to split the cost of the mumps vial, but it just never worked out & was too much work to keep track. She told me a ballpark figure was $70 for each vial which $70 for each of the 3 components I will gladly pay for that peace of mind. I certainly hope she is not mistaken & can get them separate! I asked them about before my DS was even born while we were interviewing peds.

steph2003
Holly

marinkitty
01-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks Stephanie, I'll be eager to hear. I wonder if the reason my ped. told me they aren't available is b/c they aren't available in single doses separately. If it is just an issue of buying extra, I will gladly do so!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

marinkitty
Thanks Stephanie, I'll be eager to hear. I wonder if the reason my ped. told me they aren't available is b/c they aren't available in single doses separately. If it is just an issue of buying extra, I will gladly do so!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

marinkitty

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

calebsmama03
01-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Please do post your result here! We're also delaying till at least 2, and then will probably just start out with measles. I really want to know they are available!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

calebsmama03
Please do post your result here! We're also delaying till at least 2, and then will probably just start out with measles. I really want to know they are available!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

calebsmama03
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

steph2003
01-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Holly & Lynne -
this is a link I found from John Hopkins on package inserts & manufacturers for US licensed vaccinations:

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts-bymanuf.htm

according to this Merck makes

Mumpsvax (mumps)
Meruvax II (rubella)
Attenuvax (measles)

and then of course MMRII which is the combined one

so it looks to me that Merck does make them separately, of course I'm not sure how recent this info is.

And Holly you are right - perhaps your ped meant you couldn't get them separately in single doses. I know you can't get single doses so basically my ped told me I'd have to pay for a big vial, they'd give my son the required dose & toss the rest out. Unless of course you can find some other parents wanting to do the same thing & split the cost of the big vial.

In any case I will keep you posted.

steph2003
Holly & Lynne -
this is a link I found from John Hopkins on package inserts & manufacturers for US licensed vaccinations:

Mumpsvax (mumps)
Meruvax II (rubella)
Attenuvax (measles)

so it looks to me that Merck does make them separately, of course I'm not sure how recent this info is.

And Holly you are right - perhaps your ped meant you couldn't get them separately in single doses. I know you can't get single doses so basically my ped told me I'd have to pay for a big vial, they'd give my son the required dose & toss the rest out. Unless of course you can find some other parents wanting to do the same thing & split the cost of the big vial.

steph2003
Holly & Lynne -

Mumpsvax (mumps)
Meruvax II (rubella)
Attenuvax (measles)

KrisM
01-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for posting that link. I haven't asked about them yet, but want to do them separetly as well.

For each of the single vaccinations, the document says this under "How Supplied".

No. 4747 MERUVAX II is supplied as a single-dose vial of lyophilized vaccine NDC 0006-4747-00, and a vial of diluent.

No. 4673/4309 MERUVAX II is supplied as follows: (1) a box of 10 single-dose vials oflyophilized vaccine (package A) NDC 0006-4673-00; and (2) a box of 10 vials of diluent (package B). To conserve refrigerator space, the diluent may be stored separately at room temperature.

It sounds like the single-dose should be available, unless this info isn't current. The date on the document is September 2002.

KrisM
Thanks for posting that link. I haven't asked about them yet, but want to do them separetly as well.

For each of the single vaccinations, the document says this under "How Supplied".

No. 4747 MERUVAX II is supplied as a single-dose vial of lyophilized vaccine NDC 0006-4747-00, and a vial of diluent.

No. 4673/4309 MERUVAX II is supplied as follows: (1) a box of 10 single-dose vials oflyophilized vaccine (package A) NDC 0006-4673-00; and (2) a box of 10 vials of diluent (package B). To conserve refrigerator space, the diluent may be stored separately at room temperature.

It sounds like the single-dose should be available, unless this info isn't current. The date on the document is September 2002.

KrisM

steph2003
01-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Kris
thanks for pointing out the fine print! I am showing that to my ped & asking her, hey it sounds like they are available in single doses, what is up? maybe she meant that they weren't availble for purchase in single doses - that she has to buy a whole lot of them? In any case I will bring this to her attention when I make my case for separating the MMR.

steph2003
Kris
thanks for pointing out the fine print! I am showing that to my ped & asking her, hey it sounds like they are available in single doses, what is up? maybe she meant that they weren't availble for purchase in single doses - that she has to buy a whole lot of them? In any case I will bring this to her attention when I make my case for separating the MMR.

steph2003
Kris

KrisM
01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
No problem. Let me know what she says. I am going to try to remember to ask at our 9 month appointment, but who know if I will or not. I can't even remember to make the 9 month appointment!

KrisM
No problem. Let me know what she says. I am going to try to remember to ask at our 9 month appointment, but who know if I will or not. I can't even remember to make the 9 month appointment!

KrisM

ADK
07-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Just bumping, and since it's a year and a half since this thread was active, I'm wondering what people are doing for separate MMR shots. Are they still available?

BeachBum
07-26-2006, 07:26 AM
I would be interested too. My ped keeps telling me that the MMR is not available separate in this country.