PDA

View Full Version : Penile Adhesion

zins4me
03-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi! I'm a new Mom with lots of questions about a problem we are having right now. I posted this on Baby 411, but thought that I would post it here too since there seems to be more traffic here.

My circumcised 6 mo. old son had a penile adhesion. I brought this to the attention of his pediatrician shortly after the circ healed and at that time he said, "don't worry about it". I always thought that the pediatrician had nottaken enough skin off. Now 5 months later, at our well baby check on Tuesday, the doc finally said that he did have an adhesion which needed to be taken care of right away. The doc then proceeded to forcibly retract the foreskin to expose about 1/4 inch more of the head of the penis. It was extrememly red and white stuff came out (which I understand to be just normal skin shedding) which he removed. When the doc did this, there appeared to be one adhesion which was just a little "string" of skin attached on the left side of the penis. The doc then snipped it with scissors without numbing it first and of course my poor baby screamed even more. This made me so upset! I had asked for the doc to numb it first, but he claimed that it would have made it worse. This pediatrician was highly recommended to me by several people, so I couldn't believe this was happening.
Right when I got home, I made an appointment for next Wed. with a pediatric urologist to get a second opinion. This guy seems to be the only pediatric urologist in the Palm Springs area, and unfortunately I don't know anything about him, so I'm hoping he is good. Otherwise, I am considering a drive to either San Diego or L.A. Now my son's penis is very red and sore when touched, although it does seem better today. I'm applying antibiotic ointment with each diaper change.

My main concerns right now are: 1) Was it right for the pediatrician to retract and snip? 2) Was it right for him not to use at least a topical numbing agent like Emla? 3)Will the raw surface that has now been exposed, heal correctly without further adhesions even though the extra fat or foreskin continues to hang over it? 4) Can someone recommend a good pediatric urologist in San Diego, L.A. or Palm Springs?

I feel sick to my stomach that this happened and wish that I would have told the doc to stop what he was doing. Please help!!

zins4me
Hi! I'm a new Mom with lots of questions about a problem we are having right now. I posted this on Baby 411, but thought that I would post it here too since there seems to be more traffic here.

My circumcised 6 mo. old son had a penile adhesion. I brought this to the attention of his pediatrician shortly after the circ healed and at that time he said, "don't worry about it". I always thought that the pediatrician had nottaken enough skin off. Now 5 months later, at our well baby check on Tuesday, the doc finally said that he did have an adhesion which needed to be taken care of right away. The doc then proceeded to forcibly retract the foreskin to expose about 1/4 inch more of the head of the penis. It was extrememly red and white stuff came out (which I understand to be just normal skin shedding) which he removed. When the doc did this, there appeared to be one adhesion which was just a little "string" of skin attached on the left side of the penis. The doc then snipped it with scissors without numbing it first and of course my poor baby screamed even more. This made me so upset! I had asked for the doc to numb it first, but he claimed that it would have made it worse. This pediatrician was highly recommended to me by several people, so I couldn't believe this was happening.
Right when I got home, I made an appointment for next Wed. with a pediatric urologist to get a second opinion. This guy seems to be the only pediatric urologist in the Palm Springs area, and unfortunately I don't know anything about him, so I'm hoping he is good. Otherwise, I am considering a drive to either San Diego or L.A. Now my son's penis is very red and sore when touched, although it does seem better today. I'm applying antibiotic ointment with each diaper change.

My main concerns right now are: 1) Was it right for the pediatrician to retract and snip? 2) Was it right for him not to use at least a topical numbing agent like Emla? 3)Will the raw surface that has now been exposed, heal correctly without further adhesions even though the extra fat or foreskin continues to hang over it? 4) Can someone recommend a good pediatric urologist in San Diego, L.A. or Palm Springs?

I feel sick to my stomach that this happened and wish that I would have told the doc to stop what he was doing. Please help!!

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

DebbieJ
03-19-2005, 12:26 AM
OMG. I'm so so sorry that you and your son had to go through that! It sounds awful! It's so hard to watch our little ones cry and be in pain, especially if it's unnecessary!

My son is not circumcised, so I do not know the answers to your questions in regards to that.

I also do not know of a ped. urologist, but I do know of a GREAT ped in LA who you can call and get a referral. Dr. Paul Fleiss (323) 664-1977. Tell him that one of his patients (that would be me and my ds) told you to call. He himself is anti-circ, but he does, however, work with a urologist for his patients who do choose circumcision.

I hope you are able to get some answers!

~ deb
DS 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

DebbieJ
OMG. I'm so so sorry that you and your son had to go through that! It sounds awful! It's so hard to watch our little ones cry and be in pain, especially if it's unnecessary!

My son is not circumcised, so I do not know the answers to your questions in regards to that.

I also do not know of a ped. urologist, but I do know of a GREAT ped in LA who you can call and get a referral. Dr. Paul Fleiss (323) 664-1977. Tell him that one of his patients (that would be me and my ds) told you to call. He himself is anti-circ, but he does, however, work with a urologist for his patients who do choose circumcision.

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

Rachels
03-19-2005, 09:24 AM
That is outrageous and awful. I'm so sorry. Since the prevailing medical stance is that the foreskin should never be forcibly retracted and that anesthesia should always be used for circumcision, I'd say what your baby's doctor did was unbelievably out of line. I'd never let someone like that near my child again, ever. I hope your baby is healing well and feeling better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Rachels
That is outrageous and awful. I'm so sorry. Since the prevailing medical stance is that the foreskin should never be forcibly retracted and that anesthesia should always be used for circumcision, I'd say what your baby's doctor did was unbelievably out of line. I'd never let someone like that near my child again, ever. I hope your baby is healing well and feeling better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

Rachels

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

brittone2
03-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Ditto to Rachel's comments. In fact, I'd lodge a complaint with the state medical board to be honest with you. I'm not sure if it would be viewed as truly negligent by the medical board, but in my mind, not providing anesthesia when we know such procedures are felt (very much so) bty little ones, he was certainly in error. I'm sorry that you had to witness that happen to your DS, and I'm so sorry that he had to go through such a procedure with a doctor who obviously is not up to date on the need for infant pain relief.

I've heard lots of positives about Dr. Fleiss that the PP mentioned. I hope he can direct you to someone to handle your DS's case.

brittone2
Ditto to Rachel's comments. In fact, I'd lodge a complaint with the state medical board to be honest with you. I'm not sure if it would be viewed as truly negligent by the medical board, but in my mind, not providing anesthesia when we know such procedures are felt (very much so) bty little ones, he was certainly in error. I'm sorry that you had to witness that happen to your DS, and I'm so sorry that he had to go through such a procedure with a doctor who obviously is not up to date on the need for infant pain relief.

I've heard lots of positives about Dr. Fleiss that the PP mentioned. I hope he can direct you to someone to handle your DS's case.

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

zins4me
03-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks Deb for the referral. I will see how it goes on Wed with the urologist that I found here in Palm Springs first before I give Dr. Fleiss a call.
I am so upset with Carson's pediatrician. I will for sure be changing pediatricians. I actually have an appoinmnet with one on Monday to see how I like her. I feel so guilty that I let this happen to my little guy.

zins4me
Thanks Deb for the referral. I will see how it goes on Wed with the urologist that I found here in Palm Springs first before I give Dr. Fleiss a call.
I am so upset with Carson's pediatrician. I will for sure be changing pediatricians. I actually have an appoinmnet with one on Monday to see how I like her. I feel so guilty that I let this happen to my little guy.

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

stillplayswithbarbies
03-19-2005, 11:53 AM
What instructions did he give you for taking care of it now? If he didn't tell you anything, call him back and ask. If you don't pull back on it at each diaper change, it can grow back together again.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

stillplayswithbarbies
What instructions did he give you for taking care of it now? If he didn't tell you anything, call him back and ask. If you don't pull back on it at each diaper change, it can grow back together again.

...Karen
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

stillplayswithbarbies

...Karen

zins4me
03-19-2005, 12:40 PM
At first he didn't give me any instructions except to apply the anibiotic cream with each diaper change. After asking him if I needed to continue to pull back on it, he said, "yah, that would probably be good". What an idiot!! After researching this on my own, I found out that of course you need to keep doing this or else it will grow back together. He didn't even want to follow up with Carson- he said that he would see him back at the 9 month check up.

zins4me
At first he didn't give me any instructions except to apply the anibiotic cream with each diaper change. After asking him if I needed to continue to pull back on it, he said, "yah, that would probably be good". What an idiot!! After researching this on my own, I found out that of course you need to keep doing this or else it will grow back together. He didn't even want to follow up with Carson- he said that he would see him back at the 9 month check up.

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

lmariana
03-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Okay, we've been there and done that with penile adhesion, a recurring problem with Gabe since birth.

1. They can place a topical numbing cream, but it really doesn't do much. We used the cream one time, and it wasn't any less painful...sorry to say. Our ped offers it, but says that it really can't help much, because the part that hurts is the part that has the adhesions...and the cream just can't reach that to numb it. Our ped. urologist said the same thing. :(

2. Both our ped. and urologist have done the retraction, but we've never had to do a snip. No matter who does it and whatever anesthetic they use, it's still really painful, and is gut-wrenching to watch. It never gets easier.

3. The raw surface is now PRIME for more (and potentially worse) adhesions. We were told to coat the penis with neosporin or vaseline at every diaper change, and pull the skin back as far as we can. If it starts to stick, yank. It hurts a lot less doing it now, than having to have the whole retraction procedure again. We keep the neosporin handy for at least two weeks. It is a condition you have to watch for a few months though, if your son has the tendency, it become a recurring condition. :(

As a note, the only reason we've even involved a pediatric urologist, is because Gabe was born with a hypospadia, which has to be surgically corrected. We've already done the surgery once, and will be repeating it again this year. It's so hard to watch your little guy being wheeled into surgery, and even harder when they come back with all the tubes. I'm so not looking forward to that experience again.

There's only so much doctors can do about adhesions, and short of general anesthesia, there really isn't much they can do to make the procedure pain-free.

Please feel free to PM me, if you want more info..

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051024/0/21/1/-5/.png

lmariana
Okay, we've been there and done that with penile adhesion, a recurring problem with Gabe since birth.

1. They can place a topical numbing cream, but it really doesn't do much. We used the cream one time, and it wasn't any less painful...sorry to say. Our ped offers it, but says that it really can't help much, because the part that hurts is the part that has the adhesions...and the cream just can't reach that to numb it. Our ped. urologist said the same thing. :(

2. Both our ped. and urologist have done the retraction, but we've never had to do a snip. No matter who does it and whatever anesthetic they use, it's still really painful, and is gut-wrenching to watch. It never gets easier.

3. The raw surface is now PRIME for more (and potentially worse) adhesions. We were told to coat the penis with neosporin or vaseline at every diaper change, and pull the skin back as far as we can. If it starts to stick, yank. It hurts a lot less doing it now, than having to have the whole retraction procedure again. We keep the neosporin handy for at least two weeks. It is a condition you have to watch for a few months though, if your son has the tendency, it become a recurring condition. :(

As a note, the only reason we've even involved a pediatric urologist, is because Gabe was born with a hypospadia, which has to be surgically corrected. We've already done the surgery once, and will be repeating it again this year. It's so hard to watch your little guy being wheeled into surgery, and even harder when they come back with all the tubes. I'm so not looking forward to that experience again.

There's only so much doctors can do about adhesions, and short of general anesthesia, there really isn't much they can do to make the procedure pain-free.

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

zins4me
03-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Wow! Your post was very helpful to me. Thank you so much for the information and for sharing the story about your little boy with me. As you say, it was very gut-wrenching for me to watch that and I hope we don't have to go through that again. I may consult you if I come up with more questions or concerns. Good luck to you and your little one as he undergoes surgery- I'm so sorry that you have to relive that whole surgery experience again. I'm sure it was hard enough the first time.
I went to your website and Gabe is just adorable!

zins4me
Wow! Your post was very helpful to me. Thank you so much for the information and for sharing the story about your little boy with me. As you say, it was very gut-wrenching for me to watch that and I hope we don't have to go through that again. I may consult you if I come up with more questions or concerns. Good luck to you and your little one as he undergoes surgery- I'm so sorry that you have to relive that whole surgery experience again. I'm sure it was hard enough the first time.

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

zins4me

Melanie
03-19-2005, 10:47 PM
That is just horrific. I'm so sorry.

No advice, except I'm sure Dr. Fleiss could give you a good name if you don't like who you find.

[center]http://lilypie.com/baby4/011106/1/2/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

Expecting #2
http://lilypie.com/days/050904/0/0/0/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Melanie

No advice, except I'm sure Dr. Fleiss could give you a good name if you don't like who you find.

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

Melanie

Expecting #2

talk2jogi
11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey Kristen,

I had to deal with the same problem with my son. He is now two years old and I just recently stopped worrying about his adhesion. His adhesion would go around half the circumferance of the head of his penis. The adhesion just went over the corona( I call it the lip of the helmet) I noticed it maybe 3 weeks after his circ healed. I thought I could pull it apart myself and pulled it; it was raw but did not bleed and healed about 2-3 days later. When I called our pediatrician, she told me that I could have slowly pulled it off within two weeks through gentle tugging at every diaper change. Eventually I had "pulled" it about 4 times, each time breaking my heart. All I could think was that I would have preferred to free the adhesion rather than my doctor. I did some research on the internet since I couldn't seem to get the answers I wanted anywhere else. I found that 2 out of 3 circs have adhesions but most of the go unnoticed. Even girls get it. Some studies have shown that even 18 year olds still had them. I found that alot of the time docs opt to pull it like velcro but other docs have found that if left alone, it eventually takes care of itself by the age of three. I didn't want to leave it alone in fear of it adhering any higher. So this is a solution that I found: After every bath, once the skin is softened, pull the adhesion and hold it taut for a couple seconds but don't pull to the point of it ripping. It will eventually get loose. Also at EVERY diaper change put vaseline on it. It keeps the skin soft and "tuggable" at every diaper change. I also had my son checked out by a urologist because we also had a skin tag from the circ to deal with. The urologist said that me pulling on it seemed to be working just fine. THe only thing I noticed however was that when I would leave it alone, even over the weekend, the adhesion would tighten up again, so be sure to pull at every diaper change and put on the vaseline. The urologist also gave me kenalog cream to help with the adhesion, so ask about that too. I like the vaseline better, but in your situation, anything will help. She did also say that the adhesion should stop by the time he's out of his diaper; it all has to do with body chemistry since the diaper is a moist place, the adhesion won't heal. But she said to use the kenalog cream until the adhesion came loose and then use the vaseline again. She was at the Children's Hospital in Fresno. I hope what I've learned helps you. The adhesions on my son still persist, but are controllable at this point, but I am watching him closely.

lisams
11-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I have no clue since I have a girl, but I just wanted to send you some hugs as I can imagine this was hard on you too. I think it's a wise decision to get a second opinion with someone who specializes in this area. Good job for following your instincts and not taking this drs. word.

Good luck, I hope your DS starts feeling better soon and that the specialist takes good care of you guys!

jd11365
11-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Mariana, I'm glad that someone with first hand experience was able to help this mama without freaking them out with information they have not personally experienced.

Kristen, wishing you the best of luck with your son! Hopefully the worst is behind the both of you!

kboyle
11-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I think DS2 has a small adhesion, but I'm not sure. I noticed it last week and haven't called the dr yet brcause his 4 mo appt is at the beg of december. It seemed stuck so at bath time I tugged a little and there was a bit of white stuff, I didn't bother it again, but then a few days later it was stuck again. So I repeated, but I've been aquaphoring since and it's red, but not stuck. Is this adhesion? It's only a small area. Should I call the doc before his next appt?

talk2jogi
11-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Hey Christine,

I think the white stuff you found on your son is called smegma, the dirt that builds up between genital folds. Our pediatricial said that at her last conference on adhesions they were told to tell parents to leave the smegma build-up intact since it serves as a natural barrier for the adhesion not to occur. I just didn't want to risk the adhesion from getting worse. The fact that you were able to release the adhesion is good. It means that from this point on, just keep putting the vaseline on the keep it from sticking. The aquaphora might just be irritating his skin, try the vaseline, it doesn't hurt.

kboyle
11-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks, I just looked again last night and it seems like there is another little spot that adheared and unable to be unstuck. It's totally adheared. I'll try the vasoline on the other spot and mention it all to the doc next month.

saschalicks
11-10-2005, 02:20 PM
After reading Mariana's details I would say that although it sounds like the Dr. did the right thing his bedside manner was still less then desirable. You might want to consider chaging peds anyway. It wouldn't go over well w/me if our ped was just very non-chalont (sp?) about the whole thing. He didn't even seem to give you really detailed after care instructions.

FWIW, our DS's was done by a urologist in a religious ceremony. If you still have questions you can probably contact Dr. Kogen his website is ebris.com

FYI: We had to do the retracting with DS b/c of adhesions for at least a month after the doctor discovered it, w/neosporin and vasaline of course.

lmariana
11-10-2005, 02:40 PM
We've been dealing with penile adhesion since Gabe's birth over two years ago. He had it at his 1-mo ped appt and ever since...despite many, many, many attempts to repair it. It has been retracted manually by both our ped and our urologist (for some other surgical issues he's had to go through). Our urologist said he can use a topical numbing agent, but unfortunately, it does very little good since there's no way to get it into the adhesion to numb the affected area. :( So yeah, it's a totally heart-breaking process to have your little guy suffer through, but there are no other alternatives, short of something more invasive.

Some people find the adhesions go away after one correction, and others (like us) are still struggling with it years later. We basically just do gently tuggling at every diaper change and apply vaseline to the area. It's a gradual process, but we are seeing improvements...finally.

To answer your questions...
1. In my opinion yes on the retraction, not sure about the snipping.
2. In my opinion, yes, because a topical agent would not be effective, sadly.
3. Yes or no. I'd keep an eye on it to prevent further adhesions. Change his diaper frequently and use vaseline at every change. Prevention is KEY!

So sorry you have to go through this, hugs!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://b3.lilypie.com/PVjPm4/.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/IHJGm4/.png

BBB Knit Club
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters