PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO area people: continuing ed question

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
This is for *me*; Erik's classes are all squared away for now --

I want to take a night French class this summer, lest I get very bored ;)

In Boston they had these "adult education" classes; I'm wondering in Chicago has the equivalent--I'm also wondering about the local colleges, but there's so many of them, and the summer classes are usually expensive.

Many thanks for any ideas!

aliceinwonderland

In Boston they had these "adult education" classes; I'm wondering in Chicago has the equivalent--I'm also wondering about the local colleges, but there's so many of them, and the summer classes are usually expensive.

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

Sarah1
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
The Alliance Francaise (I believe that's the name of it) is right downtown....

http://www.afchicago.com/

You could also look into UIC (University of Illinois-Chicago). I went to grad school there and have done continuing ed there as well...probably much cheaper but they may not have night classes.

Also Eri, maybe you should join the Chicago BBB Yahoo group since you will be living here for a few months. I believe Caroline (C99) is the moderator now? Or maybe it's Mary (mharling).

Sarah1

You could also look into UIC (University of Illinois-Chicago). I went to grad school there and have done continuing ed there as well...probably much cheaper but they may not have night classes.

Also Eri, maybe you should join the Chicago BBB Yahoo group since you will be living here for a few months. I believe Caroline (C99) is the moderator now? Or maybe it's Mary (mharling).

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2005, 03:26 PM
thanks Sarah. I have taken one class at AF(Boston) before and did not love it...I need more structure, otherwise I slack off--but it may have been that one particular instructor, so I will definately check them out...

Thanks for the Chicago BBB group tip--I'll see if I can join as a junior member ;)

This way I don't have to bother the big boards with my 5 million questions :)

aliceinwonderland
thanks Sarah. I have taken one class at AF(Boston) before and did not love it...I need more structure, otherwise I slack off--but it may have been that one particular instructor, so I will definately check them out...

Thanks for the Chicago BBB group tip--I'll see if I can join as a junior member ;)

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

lizamann
04-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Latin School has adult education. I've taken quite a few classes (but never French) and was happy with them. (Full disclosure - I used to teach at the school, though the adult ed and the regular school are completely separate, with totally different teachers.)

http://www.latinschool.org/liveandlearn/languages.html

Looks like the session started last week, though. I don't remember if they have a summer session, but you can call and ask.

I know Francis Parker has adult ed classes, too, but I have no idea if they offer French, or when it starts.

lizamann
Latin School has adult education. I've taken quite a few classes (but never French) and was happy with them. (Full disclosure - I used to teach at the school, though the adult ed and the regular school are completely separate, with totally different teachers.)

Looks like the session started last week, though. I don't remember if they have a summer session, but you can call and ask.

I know Francis Parker has adult ed classes, too, but I have no idea if they offer French, or when it starts.

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

lizamann

C99
04-12-2005, 07:03 PM
I've heard good things about l'Alliance Francaise and was going to take classes there last fall, but ran out of time/money/inclination. :)

I have a friend who took a series of organic chem and chem classes through City Colleges. It's probably the least expensive option, but I don't know how great the foreign language instruction is. http://www.ccc.edu/

C99
I've heard good things about l'Alliance Francaise and was going to take classes there last fall, but ran out of time/money/inclination. :)

I have a friend who took a series of organic chem and chem classes through City Colleges. It's probably the least expensive option, but I don't know how great the foreign language instruction is. http://www.ccc.edu/

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

JulesinChicago
04-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi Eri,

I have actually taken classes at the Alliance Francaise here in Chicago. It's a great facility, and I've had 1 excellent teacher; 1 pretty good teacher; and 2 teachers whom I didn't care for. Generally, though, I had a positive experience. If you want more specific info, let me know, and maybe we can chat over email.

**edited to remove some identifying info**

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

I have actually taken classes at the Alliance Francaise here in Chicago. It's a great facility, and I've had 1 excellent teacher; 1 pretty good teacher; and 2 teachers whom I didn't care for. Generally, though, I had a positive experience. If you want more specific info, let me know, and maybe we can chat over email.

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

JulesinChicago
Hi Eri,

Jules

aliceinwonderland
04-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Oh, thanks so much for the insider info!

I'll email you in a couple of weeks to see what prof you really liked.

I need to take a French II (or first level intermediate) type class.

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,

aliceinwonderland

thanks again,