PDA

View Full Version : Last minute plane travel questions - how to pack PNP, etc.

joyful mommy
05-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi,

I hope this is an appropriate folder to post these questions in. It seemed broader than any of the others without a travel folder available.

We're travelling with VERY short notice via airplane across country. Full flight on the way over, so no ticket for DC on this flight. Still, hoping to gate check our carseat in case something changes when we get there -- and because I've heard/read about damage to checked carseats (plus I've seen how luggage gets thrown about at times). Anyone have any experience on whether or not you can generally get TO the gate with a car seat without a ticket for the baby? (We're talking Wizard -- it'll be in a carseat bag.) (We're also checking our P3 in a stroller bag at the gate - plane door.)

Also, our other big question: Any suggestions on how to get our Pack 'n Play there without it getting completely beat up/broken? Please let me know!

We're leaving early tomorrow morning! Thanks so much for any quick responses!!!

Joyful Mommy

P.S. We were at least able to get a Baby B'Air -- anyone have any experiences with these?

joyful mommy
Hi,

I hope this is an appropriate folder to post these questions in. It seemed broader than any of the others without a travel folder available.

We're travelling with VERY short notice via airplane across country. Full flight on the way over, so no ticket for DC on this flight. Still, hoping to gate check our carseat in case something changes when we get there -- and because I've heard/read about damage to checked carseats (plus I've seen how luggage gets thrown about at times). Anyone have any experience on whether or not you can generally get TO the gate with a car seat without a ticket for the baby? (We're talking Wizard -- it'll be in a carseat bag.) (We're also checking our P3 in a stroller bag at the gate - plane door.)

Also, our other big question: Any suggestions on how to get our Pack 'n Play there without it getting completely beat up/broken? Please let me know!

Joyful Mommy

P.S. We were at least able to get a Baby B'Air -- anyone have any experiences with these?

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Hi,

Joyful Mommy

jamsmu
05-17-2005, 07:19 AM
You should have no problem getting your carseat and stroller to the gate. They check them there (carseat will be checked if they don't have a seat--check and double check for the seat, they can find one on most flights--only the really busy ones don't have an extra seat.)

As for the PNP, you check it with the baggage. We just wrap it in the cloth bag and we've never (knock wood) had a problem. A friend bought a big golf club holder (large plastic for travelling with clubs) and it holds the pnp. she feels better about travelling this way.

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu
You should have no problem getting your carseat and stroller to the gate. They check them there (carseat will be checked if they don't have a seat--check and double check for the seat, they can find one on most flights--only the really busy ones don't have an extra seat.)

As for the PNP, you check it with the baggage. We just wrap it in the cloth bag and we've never (knock wood) had a problem. A friend bought a big golf club holder (large plastic for travelling with clubs) and it holds the pnp. she feels better about travelling this way.

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

jamsmu

Enjoy your trip!

Sarah1
05-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Your PNP should be fine. We have checked it twice and never had a problem w/it being damaged. You should be able to gate-check your car seat as well.

Sarah1
Your PNP should be fine. We have checked it twice and never had a problem w/it being damaged. You should be able to gate-check your car seat as well.

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

lmintzer
05-17-2005, 09:04 AM
I've actually checked a carseat (a Britax Roundabout) as luggage 2x and had no trouble with it. One time, it was wrapped in a large plastic bag, and the other time, the curb side check in guy didn't have one. And there was no way I was standing in the long line inside to get one.

True, it was a "spare" carseat (one we used in the nanny's and my parents' cars), but really, it didn't look like it was mistreated at all.

lmintzer
I've actually checked a carseat (a Britax Roundabout) as luggage 2x and had no trouble with it. One time, it was wrapped in a large plastic bag, and the other time, the curb side check in guy didn't have one. And there was no way I was standing in the long line inside to get one.

True, it was a "spare" carseat (one we used in the nanny's and my parents' cars), but really, it didn't look like it was mistreated at all.

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

stillplayswithbarbies
05-17-2005, 09:20 AM
I have checked my PnP several times with no damage. I didn't put it in a bag or anything, just the carry case it came in.

You will be able to gate check the car seat. You might find out that a seat is available. Ask when you check in and ask again at the gate. They will move people around if there is even one seat available. They want babies to be in car seats, so they will help you.

Search the car seat forum for a post titled "this is why we don't rent car seats" to read about an experience with checked car seats.

The Baby B'Air is not approved for take off and landing, so you won't be able to use it. If there is trouble and you have to get in brace position you will not be allowed to use it. The only time you can use it is once the plane is in the air. It's really not safe and only protects against the kind of turbulence that does not throw you forward against your own seat belt.

Be aware that when you put your stroller in a stroller bag, they may not recognize it as a stroller and may take it all the way to baggage claim. Make sure the gate check tag is on the handle of the stroller bag, not the stroller itself and that will help.

stillplayswithbarbies
I have checked my PnP several times with no damage. I didn't put it in a bag or anything, just the carry case it came in.

You will be able to gate check the car seat. You might find out that a seat is available. Ask when you check in and ask again at the gate. They will move people around if there is even one seat available. They want babies to be in car seats, so they will help you.

Search the car seat forum for a post titled "this is why we don't rent car seats" to read about an experience with checked car seats.

The Baby B'Air is not approved for take off and landing, so you won't be able to use it. If there is trouble and you have to get in brace position you will not be allowed to use it. The only time you can use it is once the plane is in the air. It's really not safe and only protects against the kind of turbulence that does not throw you forward against your own seat belt.

Be aware that when you put your stroller in a stroller bag, they may not recognize it as a stroller and may take it all the way to baggage claim. Make sure the gate check tag is on the handle of the stroller bag, not the stroller itself and that will help.

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

alkagift
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Ditto, strong ditto, to what Karen says about your stroller in a bag. I was so paranoid about damage to my Peg that I bought a bag for it to be gate-checked. Unfortunately they couldn't FIND the thing for 30 minutes because it didn't "look like a stroller" even though I told them it was in a bag repeatedly.

On the flight back home I had duct tape on the outside of the stroller bag and the words STROLLER written on it on all sides.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

alkagift
Ditto, strong ditto, to what Karen says about your stroller in a bag. I was so paranoid about damage to my Peg that I bought a bag for it to be gate-checked. Unfortunately they couldn't FIND the thing for 30 minutes because it didn't "look like a stroller" even though I told them it was in a bag repeatedly.

On the flight back home I had duct tape on the outside of the stroller bag and the words STROLLER written on it on all sides.

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

joyful mommy
05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Thank you all so much for your help today! This will be our first time flying with DC and I realized we had so many questions. We're used to traveling on short notice, but DC has added a wonderful, NEW dimension to our lives. :)

We'll plan on taking both the P3 and WZ to the gate as planned and hope for the best on all counts. I appreciate your input and experience in these matters so much. The trip back should be better with longer lead time.

DH found a 32" Samsonite rolling duffle for $60 on the way home today and we were able to fit not only the PNP, but also the FP Booster, DC's play quilt, and a few other small items around it which helped out quite a bit with our packing. We weighed it once it was fully packed and it came in just a couple of pounds under the 50 lb. limit. I'm hoping our scales match tomorrow. lol

Thanks especially for the stroller bag tips! We're figuring out how to mark our bag now . . . . Gotta run, we're not quite finished and are hoping to get some sleep before morning.

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
Thank you all so much for your help today! This will be our first time flying with DC and I realized we had so many questions. We're used to traveling on short notice, but DC has added a wonderful, NEW dimension to our lives. :)

We'll plan on taking both the P3 and WZ to the gate as planned and hope for the best on all counts. I appreciate your input and experience in these matters so much. The trip back should be better with longer lead time.

DH found a 32" Samsonite rolling duffle for $60 on the way home today and we were able to fit not only the PNP, but also the FP Booster, DC's play quilt, and a few other small items around it which helped out quite a bit with our packing. We weighed it once it was fully packed and it came in just a couple of pounds under the 50 lb. limit. I'm hoping our scales match tomorrow. lol

Thanks especially for the stroller bag tips! We're figuring out how to mark our bag now . . . . Gotta run, we're not quite finished and are hoping to get some sleep before morning.

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy

-- Joyful Mommy

joyful mommy
06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,

We're back and I wanted to thank you all again and let you know some of what went well on our trip -- we had a great time and found out DS likes to travel too! :)

The Samsonite rolling bag we found for the PNP, etc. was great for the baby gear. We were particulary glad to have had it at the end of the trip when we noticed a small hole in one end and also recollected seing a PNP bag on one of the luggage conveyor belts that looked pretty beat up -- another passenger had told us along the way that they'd had a PNP that hadn't faired so well on previous travel either. We also saw a couple that looked in fine shape though. I guess it all depends. The Samsonite bag kept all our gear together and intact, and that worked well for us.

We didn't use the wheels on the bags much, because we just decided to get a cart at the airport and pile everything on it. This too worked well. Once we checked the large bags, we put the carry-on bags in the stroller and put DS in the Bjorn. The car seat was in a backpack carrier. At the end of the jetway, we just slipped the collapsed stroller into the stroller bag and left it (tagged with the airline's neon stroller tag*) for last minute stowage -- we picked it back up as we exited the plane at the beginning of the jetway each time. No problems.

*United Airlines has neon stroller tags to put on your strollers that you can get at the gate counter. If you don't have an adequate stroller bag they will mark a box stating that they aren't responsible for damage since it isn't properly packed or something to that affect. Our stroller bag (like the car seat back pack) was JL Childress and was made of heavy denier nylon for airline travel with a nice zipper pocket to stow the shoulder strap before stowage and a sewn in pocket for the identification card.

We did manage to get seats on both flights, albeit in the back of the plane where there is slightly less room. The WZ would have had a bit more RF recline further forward in the plane -- the persons in the seats in front might have appreciated it more also, but neither complained. We did offer our pillow to one who we noticed was looking for one. We figured this was a small measure we could offer for his inconvenience. Only one flight attendant suggested we turn the seat around on either flight, but we explained that DS was not yet old enough.

One caution, check seat assignments several days before your flight, then again a few days, and maybe the day before. Planes can be switched in advance to another plane with different seating configurations. The airline will re-assign seats and does not need to notify passengers of the new assignments until they reach the airport.

All in all we had a great trip! :)

Joyful Mommy