PDA

View Full Version : What kind of toothpaste does your toddler use?

Pages : [1] 2

ett
05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
DS does not like the taste of toothpaste. We have tried various brands of toothpaste in kids flavor, the regular mint flavor toothpaste that I use, and the orajel toddler toothpaste. The only thing that he will use is the Oral B baby tooth and gum cleaner, however I would like to get him on regular toothpaste since he can't be using the baby stuff forever. (Plus my ped said that he should be using toothpaste with fluoride.) I think the reason he doesn't like the other stuff is because of the strong taste. Why do all the toothpaste companies have to make their stuff so strong tasting? DS will scream and yell if we use toothpaste that he doesn't like, and that is certainly not the way to promote good toothbrushing habits, yet I do need to use something that is effective in keeping his teeth clean and healthy.

Does anyone know of any toothpaste that is milder in taste? What does your toddler prefer? Please help.

Thank you!

ett
DS does not like the taste of toothpaste. We have tried various brands of toothpaste in kids flavor, the regular mint flavor toothpaste that I use, and the orajel toddler toothpaste. The only thing that he will use is the Oral B baby tooth and gum cleaner, however I would like to get him on regular toothpaste since he can't be using the baby stuff forever. (Plus my ped said that he should be using toothpaste with fluoride.) I think the reason he doesn't like the other stuff is because of the strong taste. Why do all the toothpaste companies have to make their stuff so strong tasting? DS will scream and yell if we use toothpaste that he doesn't like, and that is certainly not the way to promote good toothbrushing habits, yet I do need to use something that is effective in keeping his teeth clean and healthy.

Does anyone know of any toothpaste that is milder in taste? What does your toddler prefer? Please help.

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

ett

Thank you!

Java
05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't know if this is milder or not but we use Tom's of Maine. It has the least amount of ingredients which I figure is good since Kael swallows much of it. I didn't feel right about giving him something that's colored purple with glitter in it!

The first couple of weeks he hated it but now tolerates it because he gets to spit it out with a cup of water. I know, it's corny but we made a huge production of spitting out water after brushing our teeth that Kael gets excited about spitting too. Since he only gets to do that after brushing, he tolerates brushing. I even get to Z (I sing the ABC's to make sure I brush for an appropriate amount of time).

Good luck!

Java
I don't know if this is milder or not but we use Tom's of Maine. It has the least amount of ingredients which I figure is good since Kael swallows much of it. I didn't feel right about giving him something that's colored purple with glitter in it!

The first couple of weeks he hated it but now tolerates it because he gets to spit it out with a cup of water. I know, it's corny but we made a huge production of spitting out water after brushing our teeth that Kael gets excited about spitting too. Since he only gets to do that after brushing, he tolerates brushing. I even get to Z (I sing the ABC's to make sure I brush for an appropriate amount of time).

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Java

Good luck!

Sarah1
05-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Audrey uses some toothpaste with a picture of Clifford the Dog on it. I think it's by Lavoris (?). It does have fluoride. I don't know what else to tell you! Audrey has never been picky about toothpaste.

Sarah1
Audrey uses some toothpaste with a picture of Clifford the Dog on it. I think it's by Lavoris (?). It does have fluoride. I don't know what else to tell you! Audrey has never been picky about toothpaste.

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

lisams
05-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Tom's of Maine children's toothpaste (with flouride)- it's a strawberry flavor. DD is super picky about her toothpaste and one day we were at Target and she REALLY wanted My Little Pony toothpaste. She absolutely hated it. That's the last time I fall for the "I wants" down the toothpaste aisle!!

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams
Tom's of Maine children's toothpaste (with flouride)- it's a strawberry flavor. DD is super picky about her toothpaste and one day we were at Target and she REALLY wanted My Little Pony toothpaste. She absolutely hated it. That's the last time I fall for the "I wants" down the toothpaste aisle!!

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

lisams

Good luck!!
Lisa

new_mommy25
05-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

new_mommy25
Wedela.

jubilee
05-20-2005, 01:59 AM
It has Winnie the Pooh on it- the fun thing about it is that the gel comes out shaped like a butterfly/dragonfly. It is exciting to my toddler to have a butterfly go in his mouth!

jubilee
It has Winnie the Pooh on it- the fun thing about it is that the gel comes out shaped like a butterfly/dragonfly. It is exciting to my toddler to have a butterfly go in his mouth!

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

R2sweetboys
05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
We use Tom's of Maine right now. Our water is flourinated so I don't feel like we need flouride toothpaste just yet.(Matty swallows it a lot)

Hey "Java"(sorry,I don't know your name), our Tom's IS purple(grape)! I'm not sure about the sparkles but it kind of looks like it. :P
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys
We use Tom's of Maine right now. Our water is flourinated so I don't feel like we need flouride toothpaste just yet.(Matty swallows it a lot)

Hey "Java"(sorry,I don't know your name), our Tom's IS purple(grape)! I'm not sure about the sparkles but it kind of looks like it. :P
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

August Mom
05-20-2005, 08:29 AM
We still use the toddler stuff. I thought it was probably time to switch to flourinated and aske our dentist. He said that he wouldn't consider it until DS was 3 because kids swallow too much flouride with flourinated toothpaste. I'm just throwing that out there because you may want to get an opinion from your dentist rather than your ped.

August Mom
We still use the toddler stuff. I thought it was probably time to switch to flourinated and aske our dentist. He said that he wouldn't consider it until DS was 3 because kids swallow too much flouride with flourinated toothpaste. I'm just throwing that out there because you may want to get an opinion from your dentist rather than your ped.

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

crayonblue
05-20-2005, 08:35 AM
When are you supposed to start toothpaste? I brush Lauren's teeth with water. Am I supposed to be using toothpaste? Lauren is 17 months.

crayonblue
When are you supposed to start toothpaste? I brush Lauren's teeth with water. Am I supposed to be using toothpaste? Lauren is 17 months.

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

crayonblue

houseof3boys
05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
We use the Toms of Maine and Ryan loves it. He loved it from Day one! It is the one without flouride that is grape flavored.

houseof3boys
We use the Toms of Maine and Ryan loves it. He loved it from Day one! It is the one without flouride that is grape flavored.

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

JBaxter
05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
I was alway told and was taught in school ( I was a dental hygienist for 17yrs but have been off for 2 w/ DS) Not to start giving children toothpaste with fluoride until they can spit. Swallowing too much fluoridated toothpaste can make kids sick. It is MUCH more important to mechanically brush their teeth than the toothpaste itself. If he doesnt like the flavor go back to the one he likes or use water. I use the non fluoridated toddler paste with my 18mo old and will continue to do so until he is closer to 3yrs.
Jeana
Ok found this link for anyone who is interested.
http://www.fluorideaction.org/toothpaste.html

JBaxter
I was alway told and was taught in school ( I was a dental hygienist for 17yrs but have been off for 2 w/ DS) Not to start giving children toothpaste with fluoride until they can spit. Swallowing too much fluoridated toothpaste can make kids sick. It is MUCH more important to mechanically brush their teeth than the toothpaste itself. If he doesnt like the flavor go back to the one he likes or use water. I use the non fluoridated toddler paste with my 18mo old and will continue to do so until he is closer to 3yrs.
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

Sarah1
05-20-2005, 09:27 AM
When Audrey was Lauren's age we were just using water too. Then around her 2nd b-day we started using the toddler toothpaste (no fluoride). About a month ago we switched to another toddler toothpaste that has fluoride in it. I was hesitant about using fluoride because she seems to swallow the toothpaste.

I took Audrey to the dentist on Monday (at her 2 year checkup, the ped said she should go sometime between 2 and 3 years old) and he said that Audrey could swallow the whole tube of toothpaste and the teeny bit of fluoride in it would not hurt her at all. Since Audrey definitely swallows some toothpaste, I was glad to hear this.

HTH! :)

Sarah1
When Audrey was Lauren's age we were just using water too. Then around her 2nd b-day we started using the toddler toothpaste (no fluoride). About a month ago we switched to another toddler toothpaste that has fluoride in it. I was hesitant about using fluoride because she seems to swallow the toothpaste.

I took Audrey to the dentist on Monday (at her 2 year checkup, the ped said she should go sometime between 2 and 3 years old) and he said that Audrey could swallow the whole tube of toothpaste and the teeny bit of fluoride in it would not hurt her at all. Since Audrey definitely swallows some toothpaste, I was glad to hear this.

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1

Sarah1