PDA

View Full Version : OT: ? @ PT Nanny & Holidays

Pages : [1] 2

lukkykatt
05-31-2005, 08:48 PM
If you have a nanny PT, do you pay for holidays? One of my friends had a nanny FT, but needed to cut down on her hours. I picked up 10 hours, so she is working for my friend 30 hours and for me 10 hours.

One of the days that she is at our house is on Mondays. Yesterday was a holiday, so she did not work. When she came today, she mentioned to me that my friend thought that we should split the holiday pay since she would have been at both houses on Monday. She has a contract with my friend that includes vacation and holidays. I never did a contract with her, and just stipulated the hourly pay that she would get and the number of hours a week (for the record, I am giving her the same as she was getting with my friend, which is more than the "going rate").

Anyway, I will talk to my friend because I think she should have come to me directly about the holiday instead of getting the nanny involved. But I also don't think that I should give holiday pay to someone who is working for 10 hours a week. I feel that I am now put in an awkward position - I don't want to feel like I am sticking it to my friend, but I really don't think I should pay for hours not worked. But does anyone know what is normal in this situation?

lukkykatt
If you have a nanny PT, do you pay for holidays? One of my friends had a nanny FT, but needed to cut down on her hours. I picked up 10 hours, so she is working for my friend 30 hours and for me 10 hours.

One of the days that she is at our house is on Mondays. Yesterday was a holiday, so she did not work. When she came today, she mentioned to me that my friend thought that we should split the holiday pay since she would have been at both houses on Monday. She has a contract with my friend that includes vacation and holidays. I never did a contract with her, and just stipulated the hourly pay that she would get and the number of hours a week (for the record, I am giving her the same as she was getting with my friend, which is more than the "going rate").

Anyway, I will talk to my friend because I think she should have come to me directly about the holiday instead of getting the nanny involved. But I also don't think that I should give holiday pay to someone who is working for 10 hours a week. I feel that I am now put in an awkward position - I don't want to feel like I am sticking it to my friend, but I really don't think I should pay for hours not worked. But does anyone know what is normal in this situation?

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

lukkykatt

squimp
05-31-2005, 10:53 PM
These are good things to discuss early on and have a consistent plan. It's good when sharing a nanny with friends that you talk about vacation, sick days and salary/raises and try to have them consistent, or at least fair (e.g. if there's a different number of children). Our friends took some of our nanny's time, and basically paid her the same and followed the same policies. They were happy to do so, since it saved them the trouble of searching for a nanny.

My philosophy is that we have a good nanny/babysitter, this person is a really important person in our life, and I want to keep her happy! I pay her for planned vacation and sick days. Arguing about a few hours here and there could create bad feelings. I feel really strongly about sick days - if my sitter is sick, I want her to stay home and get better, so I pay her. If someone is hard up for cash, they might want to work even if they're sick. I get paid for sick days and vacation days, so why shouldn't she? Just my 2 cents.

squimp
These are good things to discuss early on and have a consistent plan. It's good when sharing a nanny with friends that you talk about vacation, sick days and salary/raises and try to have them consistent, or at least fair (e.g. if there's a different number of children). Our friends took some of our nanny's time, and basically paid her the same and followed the same policies. They were happy to do so, since it saved them the trouble of searching for a nanny.

My philosophy is that we have a good nanny/babysitter, this person is a really important person in our life, and I want to keep her happy! I pay her for planned vacation and sick days. Arguing about a few hours here and there could create bad feelings. I feel really strongly about sick days - if my sitter is sick, I want her to stay home and get better, so I pay her. If someone is hard up for cash, they might want to work even if they're sick. I get paid for sick days and vacation days, so why shouldn't she? Just my 2 cents.

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

Marisa6826
06-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Andrea-

My sitter works 12 hrs a week (two six hour days). I pay her in advance monthly (for my convenience).

I asked her in advance what she wanted to do about Memorial Day since Jonathan had the day off, and we wouldn't need her here. We just shifted to another day in the week. So she's coming tomorrow (Wednesday) and her regular Thursday.

I don't think that I would pay her regular holiday time though. I would have a serious talk with your friend. I completely agree that this sort of thing should have been discussed between the two of you first before involving the sitter.

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

My sitter works 12 hrs a week (two six hour days). I pay her in advance monthly (for my convenience).

I asked her in advance what she wanted to do about Memorial Day since Jonathan had the day off, and we wouldn't need her here. We just shifted to another day in the week. So she's coming tomorrow (Wednesday) and her regular Thursday.

I don't think that I would pay her regular holiday time though. I would have a serious talk with your friend. I completely agree that this sort of thing should have been discussed between the two of you first before involving the sitter.

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

Marisa6826
Andrea-

-m

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-01-2005, 12:06 AM
I would probably pay her this time (just to remain in good standing), but either make a contract or let her know that you will not pay for any days not worked.
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would probably pay her this time (just to remain in good standing), but either make a contract or let her know that you will not pay for any days not worked.
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

ShayleighCarsensMom
HTH

AvasMama
06-01-2005, 05:09 AM
We pay our nanny (who works pretty much full time at this point) for holidays, days I don't need her b/c of my work schedule, and even when she is sick. It is really not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things to pay her for these times. Finding a good nanny is hard, so I want to keep her happy.

Maybe you could go ahead and pay her for Memorial Day but ask her to make up the hours at some point?

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama
We pay our nanny (who works pretty much full time at this point) for holidays, days I don't need her b/c of my work schedule, and even when she is sick. It is really not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things to pay her for these times. Finding a good nanny is hard, so I want to keep her happy.

Maybe you could go ahead and pay her for Memorial Day but ask her to make up the hours at some point?

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

AvasMama

Robyn & Ava

aliceinwonderland
06-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I am working full time (or more) this summer and while I have no complaints whatsoever about my pay, because I am an hourly employee I do not get paid holidays, so I would not be paid for Monday...

I do get paid overtime for anything over 40 hrs, but this is not applicable to you...I think I'd be slightly upset with the friend if I were in your situation, not because of the money (I always always pay my Philadelphia sitter extra because she charges so little and is so good to my son), but just on principle, I guess.

aliceinwonderland
I am working full time (or more) this summer and while I have no complaints whatsoever about my pay, because I am an hourly employee I do not get paid holidays, so I would not be paid for Monday...

I do get paid overtime for anything over 40 hrs, but this is not applicable to you...I think I'd be slightly upset with the friend if I were in your situation, not because of the money (I always always pay my Philadelphia sitter extra because she charges so little and is so good to my son), but just on principle, I guess.

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

cinrein
06-01-2005, 09:49 AM
I don't have a nanny, but my opinion is that if she expected to be paid for the holiday then you should pay her whatever you would have paid her had she worked that day. But do talk to your friend and lay down some rules on how holidays and sick days will be handled in the future. I agree that you shouldn't have to pay her, but it sounds like it's all being realized after-the-fact. Sorry this happened.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

cinrein
I don't have a nanny, but my opinion is that if she expected to be paid for the holiday then you should pay her whatever you would have paid her had she worked that day. But do talk to your friend and lay down some rules on how holidays and sick days will be handled in the future. I agree that you shouldn't have to pay her, but it sounds like it's all being realized after-the-fact. Sorry this happened.

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

McQ
06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
We pay our nanny a weekly rate so she gets paid for holidays and sick/vacation days or days that DH or I take off. But then again, I use her full time.

I wouldn't expect to pay if I used her hourly. Although since the both of you use her full time I could argue the other side as well. Sorry your neighbor put you in a tough spot. She should have talked to you, not the nanny. But use this to figure out how things like vacation/holiday/sick days will work in the future.

And if it we me, I'd pay her. My nanny is worth her weight in gold to me. I can understand why my neighbors went crazy :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

McQ
We pay our nanny a weekly rate so she gets paid for holidays and sick/vacation days or days that DH or I take off. But then again, I use her full time.

I wouldn't expect to pay if I used her hourly. Although since the both of you use her full time I could argue the other side as well. Sorry your neighbor put you in a tough spot. She should have talked to you, not the nanny. But use this to figure out how things like vacation/holiday/sick days will work in the future.

And if it we me, I'd pay her. My nanny is worth her weight in gold to me. I can understand why my neighbors went crazy :)

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

dragop21
06-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Speaking of..how much do you guys pay your nannies? It looks like I am going back to work and I am not sure if I should do daycare/day home or a nanny. my hour will be short, like 830-2pm at the latest kind of thing. but I would need a Saturday covered. is there more money for Saturdays?
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
Speaking of..how much do you guys pay your nannies? It looks like I am going back to work and I am not sure if I should do daycare/day home or a nanny. my hour will be short, like 830-2pm at the latest kind of thing. but I would need a Saturday covered. is there more money for Saturdays?
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

dragop21
advice good.
I live in Colorado.
Candice

Marisa6826
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm in NJ and pay $15/hr.

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

McQ
06-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm in DC and pay $550/week plus taxes for 2 kids (it was $375 plus taxes for one). I love my nanny and couldn't do it without her. She's GREAT with my kids plus I need the convenience of not having to get them out the door in the morning. That would set me back hours for sure. And she does light housework like unloading the dishwasher and their laundry. So that frees up my time in the evenings which is more time with them.

I would think Saturdays wouldn't necessarily be more. It's all negotiable.

Allison

McQ
I'm in DC and pay $550/week plus taxes for 2 kids (it was $375 plus taxes for one). I love my nanny and couldn't do it without her. She's GREAT with my kids plus I need the convenience of not having to get them out the door in the morning. That would set me back hours for sure. And she does light housework like unloading the dishwasher and their laundry. So that frees up my time in the evenings which is more time with them.

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison