PDA

View Full Version : Dora party for a boy?

Karenn
06-01-2005, 11:29 AM
We're going to the party store today and I was going to let Colin choose the "theme" for his party. It's just family, no other kids besides him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he chose Dora, but I could probably guide his choice if I wanted to. Will he look back on having chose Dora with utter embarassment? Or I guess I should ask will be be more embarrassed about Dora because it's a "girl thing" than he would be about Elmo or Barney? (I don't even know that it *is* a girl thing- I just know that Dora is all over the little girls clothes.)

TIA,

Karenn
We're going to the party store today and I was going to let Colin choose the "theme" for his party. It's just family, no other kids besides him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he chose Dora, but I could probably guide his choice if I wanted to. Will he look back on having chose Dora with utter embarassment? Or I guess I should ask will be be more embarrassed about Dora because it's a "girl thing" than he would be about Elmo or Barney? (I don't even know that it *is* a girl thing- I just know that Dora is all over the little girls clothes.)

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

Karenn

TIA,

macassi
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
We had a Dora party for Brendan (who is all boy) and thought it was great! We did a scavenger hunt where they had to follow a map to find a prize at the end and some other "Dora" games. I definitely don't think it's girl like. The only "girl" thing about Dora is that they only seem to make the character clothing for girls. If they'd made any for boys, we would have owned some, because my son loved the show.

macassi
We had a Dora party for Brendan (who is all boy) and thought it was great! We did a scavenger hunt where they had to follow a map to find a prize at the end and some other "Dora" games. I definitely don't think it's girl like. The only "girl" thing about Dora is that they only seem to make the character clothing for girls. If they'd made any for boys, we would have owned some, because my son loved the show.

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

macassi

JElaineB
06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
DS's 2nd bday party was Dora-themed. I don't think it is anything to be embarrased about, and I personally don't get why Dora is supposed to be for girls only. We did get blue icing on his Dora cake rather than pink though! Of course DS does have a purple/pink Dora bean bag chair in the living room, so I might not be the best person to give advice on the matter... :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
DS's 2nd bday party was Dora-themed. I don't think it is anything to be embarrased about, and I personally don't get why Dora is supposed to be for girls only. We did get blue icing on his Dora cake rather than pink though! Of course DS does have a purple/pink Dora bean bag chair in the living room, so I might not be the best person to give advice on the matter... :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kensjen
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes, do the Dora party! I don't think she is just for boys, and I think it is great that he likes Dora.
Let him choose the party he wants!

kensjen
Yes, do the Dora party! I don't think she is just for boys, and I think it is great that he likes Dora.

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

kensjen

August Mom
06-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Another male Dora fan here. I don't know why Dora seems to be marketed only to girls. DS loves Dora. To appease DH, I would probably stay away from the pink Dora plates, but I saw some yellow and red ones in the Birthday Express catalog that would work for a boy.

We'll be making the trip to the party store soon. I wonder what DS will choose...

August Mom
Another male Dora fan here. I don't know why Dora seems to be marketed only to girls. DS loves Dora. To appease DH, I would probably stay away from the pink Dora plates, but I saw some yellow and red ones in the Birthday Express catalog that would work for a boy.

We'll be making the trip to the party store soon. I wonder what DS will choose...

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

lisams
06-01-2005, 04:21 PM
DD's cousin had a Dora party, and he LOVED it! You could incorporate the other characters to make it more boyish if you wanted. I honestly wouldn't think twice about a little boy having a Dora party. Have fun getting ready for his special day!!!

Lisa

lisams
DD's cousin had a Dora party, and he LOVED it! You could incorporate the other characters to make it more boyish if you wanted. I honestly wouldn't think twice about a little boy having a Dora party. Have fun getting ready for his special day!!!

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

lisams

Lisa

Karenn
06-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks all! I was certain he would choose Dora and I was all set to let him, but he went with Sesame Street. He was quite certain about it too. I said, "Are you sure you don't want Dora?" and he said emphatically, "No, Mommy. I want Sesame Street!" So Elmo it is. :)

Karenn
Thanks all! I was certain he would choose Dora and I was all set to let him, but he went with Sesame Street. He was quite certain about it too. I said, "Are you sure you don't want Dora?" and he said emphatically, "No, Mommy. I want Sesame Street!" So Elmo it is. :)

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

houseof3boys
06-02-2005, 01:26 PM
My nephew had a Dora party for his second birthday last year and I didn't think twice about it. Of course at the time, I had no idea who Dora was but even seeing that it was girl I didn't question it!

I don't think it's a big deal at all.

houseof3boys
My nephew had a Dora party for his second birthday last year and I didn't think twice about it. Of course at the time, I had no idea who Dora was but even seeing that it was girl I didn't question it!

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

houseof3boys

alkagift
06-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I think Dora is pretty neutral. She's fun, she's adventurous, she's not pink or rides ponies with bows in their hair. One of the biggest, rough and tumble little boys I know (at two everyone thought he was four--huge) LOVES Dora and has all kinds of Dora toys. I wouldn't think anything of it.

If it concerns you at all, you could do a "Dora in the jungle" kind of theme and include lots of animals with Dora...there's lots of "luau" and "tiki" party stuff in the party stores now that would go with it!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

alkagift
I think Dora is pretty neutral. She's fun, she's adventurous, she's not pink or rides ponies with bows in their hair. One of the biggest, rough and tumble little boys I know (at two everyone thought he was four--huge) LOVES Dora and has all kinds of Dora toys. I wouldn't think anything of it.

If it concerns you at all, you could do a "Dora in the jungle" kind of theme and include lots of animals with Dora...there's lots of "luau" and "tiki" party stuff in the party stores now that would go with it!

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

wagner36
06-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hijack, but does it bug anyone else that her tummy shows? It's only the tiniest little bit but still...it bugs me - couldn't they just have drawn her outfit without that little gap? Is it neccessary?

Otherwise, I like Dora - Maisie is the new Dora for Charlie, and I much prefered Dora. As long as we don't go back to the creepy hand one, I'm fine, though.

wagner36
Sorry to hijack, but does it bug anyone else that her tummy shows? It's only the tiniest little bit but still...it bugs me - couldn't they just have drawn her outfit without that little gap? Is it neccessary?

Otherwise, I like Dora - Maisie is the new Dora for Charlie, and I much prefered Dora. As long as we don't go back to the creepy hand one, I'm fine, though.

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36

wagner36