PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Upset five year old

Globetrotter
06-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm truly at my wit's end and was wondering if anyone has advice on this. My dd is going through a tough time right now. A few weeks ago a boy teased her at our drop off healthclub childcare, and since then she is afraid of boys and didn't want to go back to that place. It took a lot of coaxing to get her to go again, and the teachers worked with us to protect her. But she is still scared of boys and can't handle situations with unknown boys. This is the same girl who was always known for playing with boys and girls with no problem.

Well, dh has been working a lot recently, and now she's been crying for him every single day. Yesterday she didn't want to go to kindergarten because 1) a boy there had teased her last week in the library 2) she misses daddy. She later told me she doesn't want another daddy, just hers. She did okay most of the day, but she did get upset at recess (missing her daddy). It's so hard to hear that :( This is just the tip of the iceberg. She's never been sensitive like this and normally LOVES school.

I've tried talking to her, explaining that he'll be able to spend lots of time with her in a few days, that we have a lot of vacations planned, etc... And that gets a temporary smile, but she still gets upset later and tells me she doesn't know how to stop crying. I've been trying to tell her coping techniques, but of course my perspective is quite different from hers.

I've also explained to her that girls are as strong as boys and, just because someone is bigger, doesn't mean they are better than her. I even showed her a picture of the shortest NBA player, who is just 5' 3"! She got a kick out of that.. I feel like I've been comforting her all week, to no avail. Today she has a different teacher who is known to be strict, and she wasn't so sensitive at dropoff when DD was crying. Now I'm nervous thinking what's going on at school.

I'm getting depressed over this, and it's only been a week! It's just so hard to see a normally cheerful child acting like this. DH will be spending some one on one time with her when his deadline is over. If he has to work this weekend, I'll send her to his office and she can hang out there with him! I'm also trying to give her more attention when we're home, which is hard sometimes since I have a toddler, too.

I've also decided we'll do all fun stuff she likes. I can't avoid school, though, so we have to deal with that.

Thanks if you got this far! This turned out to be a novel. Has anyone dealt with this or have any advice?

UPDATE: This has been a roller coaster of a week. It got worse before it got better. Poor thing told me she wanted it to be normal again, but she couldn't help feeling this way.. sigh.. DD absolutely refused to go to school on Thursday - was sobbing when I tried to take her in the classroom, so we went home. We talked to her a LOT about all her fears and insecurities IRT school/boys/missing us and came up with solutions or ways to deal with it. We've been meeting dh every day, somehow or another, and that seems to help a lot. I think she needs to know we are there for her. She was also feeling a lot of pressure at school, though she is a good student - guess she has my perfectionist tendencies - ugh. She was still quite apprehensive about going to school today (Friday), but we walked there with three of her friends, which helped a lot, and she was fine all day! No crying :)

She is still worried about going to new places and meeting new people, and I think we'll have to be gentle with her for awhile until she regains her confidence. The school counselor is closing out her cases so couldn't take this on. She gave me some general advice, but nothing I didn't already know. But that was over the phone, so hard for her to judge the situation. Her teacher said she has been doing great academically, so there's no reason for her to feel insecure, but obviously these feelings aren't always logical.

Kris

Globetrotter
I'm truly at my wit's end and was wondering if anyone has advice on this. My dd is going through a tough time right now. A few weeks ago a boy teased her at our drop off healthclub childcare, and since then she is afraid of boys and didn't want to go back to that place. It took a lot of coaxing to get her to go again, and the teachers worked with us to protect her. But she is still scared of boys and can't handle situations with unknown boys. This is the same girl who was always known for playing with boys and girls with no problem.

Well, dh has been working a lot recently, and now she's been crying for him every single day. Yesterday she didn't want to go to kindergarten because 1) a boy there had teased her last week in the library 2) she misses daddy. She later told me she doesn't want another daddy, just hers. She did okay most of the day, but she did get upset at recess (missing her daddy). It's so hard to hear that :( This is just the tip of the iceberg. She's never been sensitive like this and normally LOVES school.

I've tried talking to her, explaining that he'll be able to spend lots of time with her in a few days, that we have a lot of vacations planned, etc... And that gets a temporary smile, but she still gets upset later and tells me she doesn't know how to stop crying. I've been trying to tell her coping techniques, but of course my perspective is quite different from hers.

I've also explained to her that girls are as strong as boys and, just because someone is bigger, doesn't mean they are better than her. I even showed her a picture of the shortest NBA player, who is just 5' 3"! She got a kick out of that.. I feel like I've been comforting her all week, to no avail. Today she has a different teacher who is known to be strict, and she wasn't so sensitive at dropoff when DD was crying. Now I'm nervous thinking what's going on at school.

I'm getting depressed over this, and it's only been a week! It's just so hard to see a normally cheerful child acting like this. DH will be spending some one on one time with her when his deadline is over. If he has to work this weekend, I'll send her to his office and she can hang out there with him! I'm also trying to give her more attention when we're home, which is hard sometimes since I have a toddler, too.

I've also decided we'll do all fun stuff she likes. I can't avoid school, though, so we have to deal with that.

Thanks if you got this far! This turned out to be a novel. Has anyone dealt with this or have any advice?

UPDATE: This has been a roller coaster of a week. It got worse before it got better. Poor thing told me she wanted it to be normal again, but she couldn't help feeling this way.. sigh.. DD absolutely refused to go to school on Thursday - was sobbing when I tried to take her in the classroom, so we went home. We talked to her a LOT about all her fears and insecurities IRT school/boys/missing us and came up with solutions or ways to deal with it. We've been meeting dh every day, somehow or another, and that seems to help a lot. I think she needs to know we are there for her. She was also feeling a lot of pressure at school, though she is a good student - guess she has my perfectionist tendencies - ugh. She was still quite apprehensive about going to school today (Friday), but we walked there with three of her friends, which helped a lot, and she was fine all day! No crying :)

She is still worried about going to new places and meeting new people, and I think we'll have to be gentle with her for awhile until she regains her confidence. The school counselor is closing out her cases so couldn't take this on. She gave me some general advice, but nothing I didn't already know. But that was over the phone, so hard for her to judge the situation. Her teacher said she has been doing great academically, so there's no reason for her to feel insecure, but obviously these feelings aren't always logical.

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

Globetrotter

Kris

ddmarsh
06-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't have alot of advice, just a great big I'm sorry. I think it sounds like you are doing the best you can by continuing to offer her lots of support.

When you mentioned girls being strong too it made me think of a favorite book "The Paperbag Princess" by Robert Munsch, maybe she would enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0439010179/qid=1117657463/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-6559133-7193562?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

ddmarsh
I don't have alot of advice, just a great big I'm sorry. I think it sounds like you are doing the best you can by continuing to offer her lots of support.

When you mentioned girls being strong too it made me think of a favorite book "The Paperbag Princess" by Robert Munsch, maybe she would enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0439010179/qid=1117657463/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-6559133-7193562?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

ddmarsh

missym
06-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Kris, big hugs to you and your daughter. This sounds like a really stressful situation.

You might consider having her talk to a counselor at her school. I'm not saying there are any issues beyond your DD's current upset, but she might feel more comfortable at school knowing that there is an adult there who understands and can help. One of my good friends is an elementary school psychologist, and she is just the most caring, understanding person you could ever hope to meet.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

missym
Kris, big hugs to you and your daughter. This sounds like a really stressful situation.

You might consider having her talk to a counselor at her school. I'm not saying there are any issues beyond your DD's current upset, but she might feel more comfortable at school knowing that there is an adult there who understands and can help. One of my good friends is an elementary school psychologist, and she is just the most caring, understanding person you could ever hope to meet.

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

missym

deborah_r
06-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Sorry, I have no advice. But I'm so sorry she is going through a tough time. She sounds like a very sweet girl!

deborah_r
Sorry, I have no advice. But I'm so sorry she is going through a tough time. She sounds like a very sweet girl!

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

Globetrotter
06-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the support! It helped to just type the message :)

Well, I'm happy to report that she did okay at school today. AFter school, I arranged a playdate, then DH came home early. He'll go back and work all night, most likely, but at least they are spending time together :) They went for a walk by themselves..

I'm hoping all this will bring her back, though I suspect it won't be quite that easy. Tomorrow I'll go to school early so she has time to play with her friends before school begins.

If it continues for another week or so, I will contact the school counselor. That's a great idea, actually, as I'm sure they see all sorts of things and might have some other suggestions.

I'll also get that book. We love alternative princess books :)

Kris (who is feeling so much better)

Globetrotter

Well, I'm happy to report that she did okay at school today. AFter school, I arranged a playdate, then DH came home early. He'll go back and work all night, most likely, but at least they are spending time together :) They went for a walk by themselves..

I'm hoping all this will bring her back, though I suspect it won't be quite that easy. Tomorrow I'll go to school early so she has time to play with her friends before school begins.

If it continues for another week or so, I will contact the school counselor. That's a great idea, actually, as I'm sure they see all sorts of things and might have some other suggestions.

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Globetrotter

brittone2
06-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't have any real advice, but hugs to you and your daughter. It seems unfair that the world is so cruel out there and that our innocent little ones should have to go through any sort of teasing ever.

I hope things improve for both of you soon.

brittone2
06-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't have any real advice, but hugs to you and your daughter. It seems unfair that the world is so cruel out there and that our innocent little ones should have to go through any sort of teasing ever.

I hope things improve for both of you soon.