PDA

View Full Version : When a spouce is in school - any insight for Leta, I KNOW its hard

JulieL
06-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Leta, you say your DH is in school while working and you are "recently" married as well. Well I relate on how HHHAAARRRRDDDD this is. DH and I have been married for 6+ years and he has been in school for 5 of them. I can't tell you how many times I felt totally burnt out and wonder when is it going to end. After he started school the next summer I started taking classes at night. Well I got pg unexpectantly so there went my education for now. It wasn't until our 2 yr of marriage that DH thought of going to medical school, and he is now just finishing up his second year of medical school. I thought undergrad was hard - he worked full time and went to school full time, well medical school is much much harder. Everything is about the future and how everything counts SSOOOOO much. DH isn't even working (medical students can't due to time constraints), and the burden is sometimes fine and other times close to unbareable ( but not too often). I find myself sometimes resenting that now we are in the midst of medical school we BOTH are realizing it's much harder and much more involved than we BOTH had realized - and we weren't being nieve either. It's kinda like being pg then being a parent, you can only ready yourself so much. There have been a few times I've come close to wanting DH to quit medical school and just take on the debt, but usually it happened on a bad day backed by a major test week for DH making him AWAL for a week. I've told him this so I don't feel bad for posting this. But after the weeks subsides and things are talked out I realize I do want him to suceed and support him, and it **will** get better, but to just take things in stride. I am the only med mom (spouce married to medical student in DH's class) who works at all - I work pt, and often I feel strung out, even though I work from home. DH and I work hard to find time to connect and there are weeks where it seems like we just orbit around each other due to the hetic schedule, but then things get better. I don't even know what residency will be like, and I quite frankly I scared half to death, and DH and I have already talked about getting councelling the year before he starts to ready ourselves for a hell of a couple years. Things are hard, sometimes I resent our lives (thoughts like - will I be the only one at 32 and have no house(maybe)???, no good income, lots and lots of debt????, and no education of my own???? run through my head) but really it's only in the moment I resent it, overall I am very happy. It's just taking steps back and valueing our core marriage and not letting myself get overwhelmed to extreme. I know I am going back to school and am letting myself enjoy being a WAHM, and get the most I can out of my family. Also I know this is going to benifet me and my family as well, so the sacrifice is for ALL of us. I could totally see be married to a student getting **bored** with them and how everything revolves them and their potential career, and getting excited - even accidentlly - by someone else, but still you are responcible for that even so. I just thought you should know that these situations are hard but people do get through them. For me a couple who have made it through residency are my HEROS!!! Hopefully one day I can help a couple dealing w/the same thing.

Anyway anyone else have insight about being married to a spouce in school?

JulieL
Leta, you say your DH is in school while working and you are "recently" married as well. Well I relate on how HHHAAARRRRDDDD this is. DH and I have been married for 6+ years and he has been in school for 5 of them. I can't tell you how many times I felt totally burnt out and wonder when is it going to end. After he started school the next summer I started taking classes at night. Well I got pg unexpectantly so there went my education for now. It wasn't until our 2 yr of marriage that DH thought of going to medical school, and he is now just finishing up his second year of medical school. I thought undergrad was hard - he worked full time and went to school full time, well medical school is much much harder. Everything is about the future and how everything counts SSOOOOO much. DH isn't even working (medical students can't due to time constraints), and the burden is sometimes fine and other times close to unbareable ( but not too often). I find myself sometimes resenting that now we are in the midst of medical school we BOTH are realizing it's much harder and much more involved than we BOTH had realized - and we weren't being nieve either. It's kinda like being pg then being a parent, you can only ready yourself so much. There have been a few times I've come close to wanting DH to quit medical school and just take on the debt, but usually it happened on a bad day backed by a major test week for DH making him AWAL for a week. I've told him this so I don't feel bad for posting this. But after the weeks subsides and things are talked out I realize I do want him to suceed and support him, and it **will** get better, but to just take things in stride. I am the only med mom (spouce married to medical student in DH's class) who works at all - I work pt, and often I feel strung out, even though I work from home. DH and I work hard to find time to connect and there are weeks where it seems like we just orbit around each other due to the hetic schedule, but then things get better. I don't even know what residency will be like, and I quite frankly I scared half to death, and DH and I have already talked about getting councelling the year before he starts to ready ourselves for a hell of a couple years. Things are hard, sometimes I resent our lives (thoughts like - will I be the only one at 32 and have no house(maybe)???, no good income, lots and lots of debt????, and no education of my own???? run through my head) but really it's only in the moment I resent it, overall I am very happy. It's just taking steps back and valueing our core marriage and not letting myself get overwhelmed to extreme. I know I am going back to school and am letting myself enjoy being a WAHM, and get the most I can out of my family. Also I know this is going to benifet me and my family as well, so the sacrifice is for ALL of us. I could totally see be married to a student getting **bored** with them and how everything revolves them and their potential career, and getting excited - even accidentlly - by someone else, but still you are responcible for that even so. I just thought you should know that these situations are hard but people do get through them. For me a couple who have made it through residency are my HEROS!!! Hopefully one day I can help a couple dealing w/the same thing.

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

aliceinwonderland
06-01-2005, 02:58 PM
well I am the school-going spouse, and while this past year has not been particularly hard on our relationship per se (in our "short" time together we've been through serious sickness, job loss, etc) it has been very hard physically (just because we are so tired and sleep deprived), and also financially. We both have a sense of humor so we make jokes about the way we live now, paycheck to paycheck (barely) and how different it was before I started law school and how different it will be (hopefully!) when I graduate. It takes a great sense of humor to have to time your grocery purchases where just a few months earlier we were dropping 100+ on unplanned dinners just for the two of us...Life is just hilarious :)

My DH is an angel for putting up with me. I am not one to use the cliche "I could not have done it without you", because, well, I very well would have, but he makes my life easier in five million different ways, everyday. And I thank him as often as I can remember, but neither of us feels like I have to because this is our life together after all...But I know I am so very lucky.

aliceinwonderland
well I am the school-going spouse, and while this past year has not been particularly hard on our relationship per se (in our "short" time together we've been through serious sickness, job loss, etc) it has been very hard physically (just because we are so tired and sleep deprived), and also financially. We both have a sense of humor so we make jokes about the way we live now, paycheck to paycheck (barely) and how different it was before I started law school and how different it will be (hopefully!) when I graduate. It takes a great sense of humor to have to time your grocery purchases where just a few months earlier we were dropping 100+ on unplanned dinners just for the two of us...Life is just hilarious :)

My DH is an angel for putting up with me. I am not one to use the cliche "I could not have done it without you", because, well, I very well would have, but he makes my life easier in five million different ways, everyday. And I thank him as often as I can remember, but neither of us feels like I have to because this is our life together after all...But I know I am so very lucky.

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

Leta
06-01-2005, 03:34 PM
JulieL,

Thanks SO much for starting this thread. I'd like to pm you if it's okay?

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

Leta
JulieL,

Thanks!

saschalicks
06-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Julie & Leta,
I am married to a man who recently finished law school. When we started dating he was 1/2 way through. We got married the spring break of his last year. We got pregnant and soon after found out that he DIDN'T pass the bar. He finally passed the bar just 1 month before DS was born. The last year of law school he didn't work then he didn't find a job until DS was 6 weeks old. The monetary burden was entirely on me. This year I got laid off but thankfully found a job right away. 2 weeks into my new job DH lost his. 4 weeks after that we are unexpectedly pregnant. It's been 2.5 months of not working for him. I read your posts and I totally know where you are coming from. I keep telling DH that I'm paying forward. There will be a time when I expect to be taken care of, but I guess not now. Does that make sense? Our marriage has gone through a lot and like Leta we've only been married 2 years. I never expected we'd have 2 children 18 months apart. I'm very lucky b/c DH is an amazing father/husband. With being pregnant again he's taken over everything b/c I'm so exhausted when I get home from work. I think that my advice as someone whose at the end of this is that together you two can make it work. If it becomes a him vs. me issue is when it falls apart. My mom always said marriage was a full time job but who knew it would be this hard.

I hope that we all make it through. Sorry for my babbling. :)

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,
I am married to a man who recently finished law school. When we started dating he was 1/2 way through. We got married the spring break of his last year. We got pregnant and soon after found out that he DIDN'T pass the bar. He finally passed the bar just 1 month before DS was born. The last year of law school he didn't work then he didn't find a job until DS was 6 weeks old. The monetary burden was entirely on me. This year I got laid off but thankfully found a job right away. 2 weeks into my new job DH lost his. 4 weeks after that we are unexpectedly pregnant. It's been 2.5 months of not working for him. I read your posts and I totally know where you are coming from. I keep telling DH that I'm paying forward. There will be a time when I expect to be taken care of, but I guess not now. Does that make sense? Our marriage has gone through a lot and like Leta we've only been married 2 years. I never expected we'd have 2 children 18 months apart. I'm very lucky b/c DH is an amazing father/husband. With being pregnant again he's taken over everything b/c I'm so exhausted when I get home from work. I think that my advice as someone whose at the end of this is that together you two can make it work. If it becomes a him vs. me issue is when it falls apart. My mom always said marriage was a full time job but who knew it would be this hard.

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

saschalicks
Julie & Leta,

daniele_ut
06-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Julie,
I could practically have written your post! DH and I have been married for 5 1/2 years and DH has been in school for 5 of them! I am 6 years older than him, so at least I have finished my degrees and have a stable career, but I also have a fair amount of student loan debt, so here I sit, at 32 years old, living in a 2 bedroom apartment.

There are some days I get incredibly frustrated that I have to leave DS to work, but I do know it is what is best for our family right now. Of course, DH is majoring in music, so who knows how long it will be before he gets a stable job after his masters program ends next year. The plus is that we have taken on NO added debt to send him to school. Our goal is to pay off my a good chunk of my loans in his first year out of school (assuming he gets a job) and buy a house. I won't hold my breath, though!!

I DO love my job, but some days I really wish that DS would just finish school already and take on the breadwinner role so I can spend some time at home with my son. I also know that we will put off TTC our next baby until he is done with school and working and that makes me a little sad. We just couldn't have 2 living children in daycare while he's in school.

I don't know if anything I've said has helped, but I wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone!!

daniele_ut
Julie,
I could practically have written your post! DH and I have been married for 5 1/2 years and DH has been in school for 5 of them! I am 6 years older than him, so at least I have finished my degrees and have a stable career, but I also have a fair amount of student loan debt, so here I sit, at 32 years old, living in a 2 bedroom apartment.

There are some days I get incredibly frustrated that I have to leave DS to work, but I do know it is what is best for our family right now. Of course, DH is majoring in music, so who knows how long it will be before he gets a stable job after his masters program ends next year. The plus is that we have taken on NO added debt to send him to school. Our goal is to pay off my a good chunk of my loans in his first year out of school (assuming he gets a job) and buy a house. I won't hold my breath, though!!

I DO love my job, but some days I really wish that DS would just finish school already and take on the breadwinner role so I can spend some time at home with my son. I also know that we will put off TTC our next baby until he is done with school and working and that makes me a little sad. We just couldn't have 2 living children in daycare while he's in school.

I don't know if anything I've said has helped, but I wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone!!

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

daniele_ut
Julie,

kijip
06-01-2005, 08:15 PM
My husband and I married while we were both in school. I have been in school on and off since. This fall, we both start up with school again (he plans to become a pharmacist and is taking the science pre-reqs that oddly enough he did not get from his Spanish Education), I plan to take some more classes and then apply to law school in a bit (depending on when/if we have #2). It is hard but I figure it is worth it. I am sure that we are looking forwards to an interesting fall 2005. We almost did not have Toby (as in we considered having an abortion) since we had not finished graduate school. But we realized that we had a strong marriage, finanical resources and that Toby was more important than getting advanced degrees.

kijip
My husband and I married while we were both in school. I have been in school on and off since. This fall, we both start up with school again (he plans to become a pharmacist and is taking the science pre-reqs that oddly enough he did not get from his Spanish Education), I plan to take some more classes and then apply to law school in a bit (depending on when/if we have #2). It is hard but I figure it is worth it. I am sure that we are looking forwards to an interesting fall 2005. We almost did not have Toby (as in we considered having an abortion) since we had not finished graduate school. But we realized that we had a strong marriage, finanical resources and that Toby was more important than getting advanced degrees.

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

JulieL
06-02-2005, 08:49 AM
sure that would be fine

JulieL
sure that would be fine

JulieL
sure that would be fine

JulieL
sure that would be fine