PDA

View Full Version : How does your daycare handle discipline?

pixelprincess
06-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Didn't really think about this before since DS started at a younger age. He has currently moved into a class with older kids and seems to be picking up some aggressive behavior. Some may be age related but he seems to have changed considerably in the two months. The oldest kids are close to 3.

Last week I walked in to an older kid hitting him for sorta being in the way. For a minute DS looked surprised and like he was going to cry...but then he went and pushed back the other kid. I stood sorta speechless since I hadn't seen him to do that before. He has been more aggressive at home lately, so it kinda clicked. The teacher stated that this was the first time DS exhibited this behavior which I find hard to believe. I'd rather know if my child is hitting or being hit.

I am wondering if it is a bad idea to have him in a room with 'older kids"? He has improved his vocabulary but I'd hate to see him picking up "bad behavior".

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

pixelprincess
Didn't really think about this before since DS started at a younger age. He has currently moved into a class with older kids and seems to be picking up some aggressive behavior. Some may be age related but he seems to have changed considerably in the two months. The oldest kids are close to 3.

Last week I walked in to an older kid hitting him for sorta being in the way. For a minute DS looked surprised and like he was going to cry...but then he went and pushed back the other kid. I stood sorta speechless since I hadn't seen him to do that before. He has been more aggressive at home lately, so it kinda clicked. The teacher stated that this was the first time DS exhibited this behavior which I find hard to believe. I'd rather know if my child is hitting or being hit.

I am wondering if it is a bad idea to have him in a room with 'older kids"? He has improved his vocabulary but I'd hate to see him picking up "bad behavior".

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

kath68
06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
This is a hot button issue for lots of parents (see previous thread on aggression/daycare). I would be very upset to see hitting going on that wasn't immediately corrected by the caregiver. But some amount of hitting is age appropriate (even if not acceptable) beacuse of toddlers' terrible impulse control.

I made a point of asking my day care provider what she does for discipline before I signed DS up, and she looked at me blankly -- and then said it wasn't an issue, that the kids do what she says. I thought that was an odd response, so I followed up with some of the parents, and they confirmed what she said! They said that she has a real touch with he kids, and they all love and respect her.

I've seen her in action -- they do! It is amazing. Nap time, no problem. They eat what is in front of them. They all play together. They transition well from one activity to another. They are all polite and friendly children. That is not to say there aren't conflicts with the little ones. She gets the wrong-doer's attention, tells them what they did wrong, and makes them apologize with a hug to the other child. That's it! Truly unbelievable. It is why I put up with some of the things that are less than ideal (her choice of food is not all that great). I expect she does, as a last resort, use a time-out technique, too.

Where DS is -- a home day care -- there are 12 kids, ranging from 8 mos to 5 years (DS is third youngest). There are two full-time providers, and family members that pitch in from time to time. Personally, I think having older kids around is good for Charlie. It is why I ultimately decided that this was the place for him. He strives to play on the big kid's level. Plus, the older kids (girls especially) give him lots of attention. It is like extended family. Since DS will likely be an only child, I am grateful that he is exposed to older children all day long and has to fend for himself a bit. But if I thought he was being bullied, I would be sure to talk to the provider about it, and see if we could work on the problem with the parents of the other child.

This is getting way too long, but one example comes to mind from just the other day. Apparently Dillon, a 3 year old at day care, has been having problems behaving himself lately. I know this because when mom came to pick him up, she asked the provider how he did that day. His bigger sister narc'ed on him, and said he pinched her. Provider confirmed that the pinching happened. Dillon was called over and talked to by mom, and then they all talked about what they were going to do the next day to help Dillon not repeat the same bad behavior. In other words, they were all working together and invested in helping Dillon. I know if it was my kid being the bully, I would want to know about it, so I could help fix it and be involved (hard not to be there to parent through the bad times myself).

HTH. This day care thing is really hard. Sometimes you have to be pretty pushy to get info out of the providers, I find.

kath68
This is a hot button issue for lots of parents (see previous thread on aggression/daycare). I would be very upset to see hitting going on that wasn't immediately corrected by the caregiver. But some amount of hitting is age appropriate (even if not acceptable) beacuse of toddlers' terrible impulse control.

I made a point of asking my day care provider what she does for discipline before I signed DS up, and she looked at me blankly -- and then said it wasn't an issue, that the kids do what she says. I thought that was an odd response, so I followed up with some of the parents, and they confirmed what she said! They said that she has a real touch with he kids, and they all love and respect her.

I've seen her in action -- they do! It is amazing. Nap time, no problem. They eat what is in front of them. They all play together. They transition well from one activity to another. They are all polite and friendly children. That is not to say there aren't conflicts with the little ones. She gets the wrong-doer's attention, tells them what they did wrong, and makes them apologize with a hug to the other child. That's it! Truly unbelievable. It is why I put up with some of the things that are less than ideal (her choice of food is not all that great). I expect she does, as a last resort, use a time-out technique, too.

Where DS is -- a home day care -- there are 12 kids, ranging from 8 mos to 5 years (DS is third youngest). There are two full-time providers, and family members that pitch in from time to time. Personally, I think having older kids around is good for Charlie. It is why I ultimately decided that this was the place for him. He strives to play on the big kid's level. Plus, the older kids (girls especially) give him lots of attention. It is like extended family. Since DS will likely be an only child, I am grateful that he is exposed to older children all day long and has to fend for himself a bit. But if I thought he was being bullied, I would be sure to talk to the provider about it, and see if we could work on the problem with the parents of the other child.

This is getting way too long, but one example comes to mind from just the other day. Apparently Dillon, a 3 year old at day care, has been having problems behaving himself lately. I know this because when mom came to pick him up, she asked the provider how he did that day. His bigger sister narc'ed on him, and said he pinched her. Provider confirmed that the pinching happened. Dillon was called over and talked to by mom, and then they all talked about what they were going to do the next day to help Dillon not repeat the same bad behavior. In other words, they were all working together and invested in helping Dillon. I know if it was my kid being the bully, I would want to know about it, so I could help fix it and be involved (hard not to be there to parent through the bad times myself).

HTH. This day care thing is really hard. Sometimes you have to be pretty pushy to get info out of the providers, I find.

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

pixelprincess
06-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Kathy-I appreciate you sharing your thoughts in length about Charlie's daycare. It sounds like it is working out well for you...and him too. I can't seem to find the thread you are refering to so if you can point me to it i'd appreciate it.

My main concern is DS being the only child in his age group with the older kid's. Some of the younger kids from his infant class are supposed to be moved up sometime this summer- perhaps that might even things out. He does have a thing for older women, lol. I caught him kissing and hugging a little girl in his current class waay back in his infant class.

He is most likely going to be our only child and I hope we can bring up an unspoilt child.

pixelprincess
Kathy-I appreciate you sharing your thoughts in length about Charlie's daycare. It sounds like it is working out well for you...and him too. I can't seem to find the thread you are refering to so if you can point me to it i'd appreciate it.

My main concern is DS being the only child in his age group with the older kid's. Some of the younger kids from his infant class are supposed to be moved up sometime this summer- perhaps that might even things out. He does have a thing for older women, lol. I caught him kissing and hugging a little girl in his current class waay back in his infant class.

He is most likely going to be our only child and I hope we can bring up an unspoilt child.

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

kath68
06-02-2005, 08:37 PM
You know, I don't know how useful the thread will be and now that you mention it I think there was a bit of a hijack -- I can summarize the important part faster than I can find it:

There was a study a couple of years ago that suggested that kids in day care >30 hours a week are "more aggressive." But the study is seriously flawed in so many ways, that to me it is meaningless. For one thing, no one observed the kids, and there was no objective reporting. It was based on what a mom said about her stay at home kid v. what a day care provider said about kids she watched. Apples and oranges. Also, even if it were a solid study, the results for the day care kids were still well within the range of normal. Plus, high end day cares seem to report less aggression.

But, the study gets thrown around and makes parents worried that their kids will be more aggressive just because they are in daycare.

Don't worry. Keep on top of your provider to tell you when he is having problems with other kids, whether it is DS who starts it or the others. They should know how to deal with this kind of transition, since it must happen all the time there.

After your email, I asked my provider if Charlie is being bullied or bothers the other children, and she said he does like to take toys away from the other children. But that it is age appropriate behavior and that everyone understands what is going on there.

My provider plays some defense on behalf of Charlie when he is playing outside with the big kids, keeping the rowdy play away from him while he is not so steady on his feet. Your provider prolly does the same.

It is the parents who don't worry about spoiling their kids that end up spoiling their kids. If you are worried about it, then I am sure your kid will be fine.

We joke that Charlie has a girlfriend at day care because one in particular (a older woman -- a five year old!) seems so sweet for him. He gravitates to her. Sooooo cute.

kath68
You know, I don't know how useful the thread will be and now that you mention it I think there was a bit of a hijack -- I can summarize the important part faster than I can find it:

There was a study a couple of years ago that suggested that kids in day care >30 hours a week are "more aggressive." But the study is seriously flawed in so many ways, that to me it is meaningless. For one thing, no one observed the kids, and there was no objective reporting. It was based on what a mom said about her stay at home kid v. what a day care provider said about kids she watched. Apples and oranges. Also, even if it were a solid study, the results for the day care kids were still well within the range of normal. Plus, high end day cares seem to report less aggression.

But, the study gets thrown around and makes parents worried that their kids will be more aggressive just because they are in daycare.

Don't worry. Keep on top of your provider to tell you when he is having problems with other kids, whether it is DS who starts it or the others. They should know how to deal with this kind of transition, since it must happen all the time there.

After your email, I asked my provider if Charlie is being bullied or bothers the other children, and she said he does like to take toys away from the other children. But that it is age appropriate behavior and that everyone understands what is going on there.

My provider plays some defense on behalf of Charlie when he is playing outside with the big kids, keeping the rowdy play away from him while he is not so steady on his feet. Your provider prolly does the same.

It is the parents who don't worry about spoiling their kids that end up spoiling their kids. If you are worried about it, then I am sure your kid will be fine.

We joke that Charlie has a girlfriend at day care because one in particular (a older woman -- a five year old!) seems so sweet for him. He gravitates to her. Sooooo cute.

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

kath68

pixelprincess
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks again. I feel better about it today after having a chat with the director. Funnily, the girl DS has a crush on bit another little boy (closer to her age) today. I happened to catch the story from her mom. She talked about certain triggers that cause her DD to act out. Tomorrow is her last day and she is moving to a montessori preschool. The mom tells me that her son has thrived in that enviroment (a former biter, lol). I wonder if there is something to lack of stimulation causing them to act out?

Hmnn...the study does sound flawed. I wonder if they even got a good sample? LOL, Charlie has a girlfriend too? They are getting an early start aren't they?

pixelprincess
Thanks again. I feel better about it today after having a chat with the director. Funnily, the girl DS has a crush on bit another little boy (closer to her age) today. I happened to catch the story from her mom. She talked about certain triggers that cause her DD to act out. Tomorrow is her last day and she is moving to a montessori preschool. The mom tells me that her son has thrived in that enviroment (a former biter, lol). I wonder if there is something to lack of stimulation causing them to act out?

Hmnn...the study does sound flawed. I wonder if they even got a good sample? LOL, Charlie has a girlfriend too? They are getting an early start aren't they?

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess

pixelprincess