PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle Proficiency?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Raidra
06-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Just out of curiosity.. when did your kids get good at doing puzzles?

I'm talking about the easy, wooden ones, where the puzzle piece has one picture on it, and underneath is a copy of the same picture. When did they get good at telling where each piece is supposed to go? And when did they get good at fitting the piece into the right spot?

Thanks!

Raidra

I'm talking about the easy, wooden ones, where the puzzle piece has one picture on it, and underneath is a copy of the same picture. When did they get good at telling where each piece is supposed to go? And when did they get good at fitting the piece into the right spot?

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

Raidra

Thanks!

papal
06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
I thought I would reply, since Leela is in the same age group. We don't have any of those puzzles but she does have a book with big fish puzzle pieces (thanks Jamie!) and Leela has absolutely NO idea what to do with the puzzle pieces. I attempt showing her every day but she thinks I am crazy. I am not worried but will be if every other person replies and says their child is putting 50 piece jigsaw puzzles together. heehee.

papal
I thought I would reply, since Leela is in the same age group. We don't have any of those puzzles but she does have a book with big fish puzzle pieces (thanks Jamie!) and Leela has absolutely NO idea what to do with the puzzle pieces. I attempt showing her every day but she thinks I am crazy. I am not worried but will be if every other person replies and says their child is putting 50 piece jigsaw puzzles together. heehee.

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

mudder17
06-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Wow, I'll be interested in this answer, because it probably relates to Kaya's Lego bucket. She has one where you match the shapes of the pieces and they'll fit into the proper block. Sounds like a prerequisite for the wooden puzzles?

FWIW, she started to realize recently that the pieces can fit through, but she hasn't figured out yet that you have to match the shapes.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mudder17
Wow, I'll be interested in this answer, because it probably relates to Kaya's Lego bucket. She has one where you match the shapes of the pieces and they'll fit into the proper block. Sounds like a prerequisite for the wooden puzzles?

FWIW, she started to realize recently that the pieces can fit through, but she hasn't figured out yet that you have to match the shapes.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

jbowman
06-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Actually, Rashmi, Ellie just put together a 500-piece puzzle of a Ming Vase today--without help. I am totally kidding, LOL. The most interesting thing that Ellie did today was run into the living room brandishing a toliet scrubber as if it were a light saber. Charming, huh?

jbowman
Actually, Rashmi, Ellie just put together a 500-piece puzzle of a Ming Vase today--without help. I am totally kidding, LOL. The most interesting thing that Ellie did today was run into the living room brandishing a toliet scrubber as if it were a light saber. Charming, huh?

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

jbowman

trentsmom
06-01-2005, 09:04 PM
We've only had a puzzle like that for a couple of weeks. I've seen Trent take out a piece and try to put it back in the same spot. I don't know what he'd do if all the pieces were out. I'll have to try it tomorrow! Oh, and he's definitely not good at fitting the pieces. I put them almost all the way in, and he pushes them the rest of the way in. And then claps because he did such a good job!

trentsmom
We've only had a puzzle like that for a couple of weeks. I've seen Trent take out a piece and try to put it back in the same spot. I don't know what he'd do if all the pieces were out. I'll have to try it tomorrow! Oh, and he's definitely not good at fitting the pieces. I put them almost all the way in, and he pushes them the rest of the way in. And then claps because he did such a good job!

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

trentsmom

papal
06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Toilet Brush Light Saber is FAR more interesting than putting a puzzle together.. i mean, will you be retelling the story of Ellie putting together the puzzle of the Ming Vase (ROTFL) or the toilet brush when she is 15? Toilet brush wins hands down. She is so with the pop culture of the time... way to go ELLIE!!!

papal
Toilet Brush Light Saber is FAR more interesting than putting a puzzle together.. i mean, will you be retelling the story of Ellie putting together the puzzle of the Ming Vase (ROTFL) or the toilet brush when she is 15? Toilet brush wins hands down. She is so with the pop culture of the time... way to go ELLIE!!!

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

JLiebCamm
06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Nathan was pretty good at them last summer at age 1 1/2 but often couldn't get the edges lined up right and needed a bit of help. By the fall he could get them in the whole way and by age 2 he was ready to move onto the type that have 5-6 big pieces that fit together.

JLiebCamm
Nathan was pretty good at them last summer at age 1 1/2 but often couldn't get the edges lined up right and needed a bit of help. By the fall he could get them in the whole way and by age 2 he was ready to move onto the type that have 5-6 big pieces that fit together.

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

JLiebCamm

m448
06-01-2005, 09:32 PM
we bought Ian a bunch for Christmas. Melissa & Doug puzzles - one jumbo one and several more in smaller pieces, with one that was built around a farm scene. He pretty much picked up the jumbo one gradually and now he can do it quickly while doing the smaller ones at a moderate pace. He still doesn't do too well with the one that has a scene incorporated into it.

BTW, his birthday is 10/30/03 for reference.

m448
we bought Ian a bunch for Christmas. Melissa & Doug puzzles - one jumbo one and several more in smaller pieces, with one that was built around a farm scene. He pretty much picked up the jumbo one gradually and now he can do it quickly while doing the smaller ones at a moderate pace. He still doesn't do too well with the one that has a scene incorporated into it.

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

m448

C99
06-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Nate didn't really play w/ puzzles until recently, but we borrowed a couple of puzzles from a friend and he can put all the pieces in the correct spots now. So...a little over 2.

C99
Nate didn't really play w/ puzzles until recently, but we borrowed a couple of puzzles from a friend and he can put all the pieces in the correct spots now. So...a little over 2.

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

RwnMayfair
06-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Taran has more fun pulling the pieces out and handing them to me to put them back in right now, I think. Now, he does have a three piece wooden puzzle that's three shapes (a circle, a square, and a triangle) that he can do on his own right now, but it's a pretty simple puzzle too. For the other wooden puzzles we have, it seems to depend. Sometimes he'll try to fit the pieces almost anywhere. Other times he does seem to know where they go because he'll go right for that spot, but he's generally trying to put the piece in upside down, sideways, any way but the "right" way. So he'll eventually give up and hand me the piece. He does love pulling the pieces out and handing them to me to put into the puzzle. ;) He does sometimes help put the pieces in, and then looks very happy and proud of either me or himself. And then, once the puzzle is back together, it has to be taken apart again right away.

As for the toilet scrubber lightsaber, Taran has his cardboard tube lightsaber/wizard staff. ;) He'll run around with that like a lightsaber/sword, or else seems to treat it like a wizard's staff, which will prompt my husband to call him either "Jedi Taran" or "Gandalf". ::snicker:: Unfortunately, he found a loose piece on it earlier today and started peeling it apart, so the cardboard tube lightsaber may be hitting the recycling bin soon.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

RwnMayfair
Taran has more fun pulling the pieces out and handing them to me to put them back in right now, I think. Now, he does have a three piece wooden puzzle that's three shapes (a circle, a square, and a triangle) that he can do on his own right now, but it's a pretty simple puzzle too. For the other wooden puzzles we have, it seems to depend. Sometimes he'll try to fit the pieces almost anywhere. Other times he does seem to know where they go because he'll go right for that spot, but he's generally trying to put the piece in upside down, sideways, any way but the "right" way. So he'll eventually give up and hand me the piece. He does love pulling the pieces out and handing them to me to put into the puzzle. ;) He does sometimes help put the pieces in, and then looks very happy and proud of either me or himself. And then, once the puzzle is back together, it has to be taken apart again right away.

As for the toilet scrubber lightsaber, Taran has his cardboard tube lightsaber/wizard staff. ;) He'll run around with that like a lightsaber/sword, or else seems to treat it like a wizard's staff, which will prompt my husband to call him either "Jedi Taran" or "Gandalf". ::snicker:: Unfortunately, he found a loose piece on it earlier today and started peeling it apart, so the cardboard tube lightsaber may be hitting the recycling bin soon.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

aliceinwonderland
06-01-2005, 10:00 PM
sorry to hijack, but, can you post a pic of this toy?? My brain is dead; I have thought about this for a minute or two and I cannot for the life of me picture it!!! :)

Edited to add that Erik is 13 months and has few simple wood animal puzzles from Target, pics the animals up and throws them or eat them...As I said in another thread, I overestimate my kid ;)

aliceinwonderland
sorry to hijack, but, can you post a pic of this toy?? My brain is dead; I have thought about this for a minute or two and I cannot for the life of me picture it!!! :)

Edited to add that Erik is 13 months and has few simple wood animal puzzles from Target, pics the animals up and throws them or eat them...As I said in another thread, I overestimate my kid ;)

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland