PDA

View Full Version : Thumb sucking?

momma_boo
06-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I know this sounds harsh, but is there a way to discourage thumb sucking?

DD#2 (11 weeks old) has started sucking her thumb lately when she's bored. No, she does not use it for comfort/self-soothing. It just seems like there will be more problems later on. If you have a thumb sucker, feel free to share your experiences. I have been trying to give her a pacifier when she sucks her thumb but it's usually when she's hanging out and I'm making dinner or taking care of the older one.

momma_boo

DD#2 (11 weeks old) has started sucking her thumb lately when she's bored. No, she does not use it for comfort/self-soothing. It just seems like there will be more problems later on. If you have a thumb sucker, feel free to share your experiences. I have been trying to give her a pacifier when she sucks her thumb but it's usually when she's hanging out and I'm making dinner or taking care of the older one.

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

C99
06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
*I* was a thumbsucker. When I was a toddler and beyond, my parents, dentist, etc. tried everything to discourage it and nothing worked. When I was 8, I just stopped on my own. If she is doing it b/c she's "bored," she may eventually move to self-soothing. When Nate was an infant, I would have given my left eye if he had found his thumb. Alas, he never did. I have hopes for Rose, though...

C99
*I* was a thumbsucker. When I was a toddler and beyond, my parents, dentist, etc. tried everything to discourage it and nothing worked. When I was 8, I just stopped on my own. If she is doing it b/c she's "bored," she may eventually move to self-soothing. When Nate was an infant, I would have given my left eye if he had found his thumb. Alas, he never did. I have hopes for Rose, though...

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

Wife_and_mommy
06-01-2005, 09:42 PM
You have my sympathies. ;)

My dd used a paci(which I prefer) until about 6/7 months and then preferred her thumb. She does it in "boredom" too, I think. Honestly, I was *sure* I wouldn't have a thumbsucker but now that I do, I don't think I'll be *doing* anything about it until she's much older. Now, don't ask me what age "older" is because I haven't figured it out yet. :P

At any rate, at your dd's age, I would try to encourage the paci. I know it was a little frustrating for me because she couldn't hold on to it but if you really want to nip it in the bud, I think that'd be the best bet.

And there you have my two cents! Good luck. :)

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Wife_and_mommy

My dd used a paci(which I prefer) until about 6/7 months and then preferred her thumb. She does it in "boredom" too, I think. Honestly, I was *sure* I wouldn't have a thumbsucker but now that I do, I don't think I'll be *doing* anything about it until she's much older. Now, don't ask me what age "older" is because I haven't figured it out yet. :P

At any rate, at your dd's age, I would try to encourage the paci. I know it was a little frustrating for me because she couldn't hold on to it but if you really want to nip it in the bud, I think that'd be the best bet.

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Mommy_Again
06-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I might be in the minority here, but I say - don't fight it! We love the thumb sucking...it's always there, it doesn't get lost or fall out of the crib, doesn't have to be replaced by mom at 2 in the morning. I have the added bonus of a 'hair twirler', so no lost blankies either.

I heard somewhere that thumb sucking and bad teeth are an old wives' tale (might not be true, but I choose to believe). Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are just baby teeth anyways, and they fall out. I admit I've done zero research on the subject, so informed mamas, please set me straight.

Mommy_Again
I might be in the minority here, but I say - don't fight it! We love the thumb sucking...it's always there, it doesn't get lost or fall out of the crib, doesn't have to be replaced by mom at 2 in the morning. I have the added bonus of a 'hair twirler', so no lost blankies either.

I heard somewhere that thumb sucking and bad teeth are an old wives' tale (might not be true, but I choose to believe). Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are just baby teeth anyways, and they fall out. I admit I've done zero research on the subject, so informed mamas, please set me straight.

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

tny915
06-01-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm also absolutely for the thumb sucking. I tried giving DD pacifiers before she discovered her thumb, and she refused them all. She found her thumb at maybe 4 months old and sucked it pretty much just at night to put herself to sleep. Sometime in between then and now, she decided she didn't need to suck her thumb anymore and stopped. So you never know, it may not cause problems and your DD may give it up earlier than you expect.

tny915
I'm also absolutely for the thumb sucking. I tried giving DD pacifiers before she discovered her thumb, and she refused them all. She found her thumb at maybe 4 months old and sucked it pretty much just at night to put herself to sleep. Sometime in between then and now, she decided she didn't need to suck her thumb anymore and stopped. So you never know, it may not cause problems and your DD may give it up earlier than you expect.

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

tny915

Wife_and_mommy
06-01-2005, 10:27 PM
>your DD may give it up earlier than you expect.>

That's what I'm hoping and dreaming for!!

I haven't done extensive research but do know that the "baby" teeth are very important and you, therefore, want them to be as healthy as possible. I hope a dentist or other person who knows facts will chime in on that subject.

I also have noticed that some people(in general) prefer for dc's to use paci's and others thumbs for a variety of reasons. We should start a poll... :P

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

I haven't done extensive research but do know that the "baby" teeth are very important and you, therefore, want them to be as healthy as possible. I hope a dentist or other person who knows facts will chime in on that subject.

I also have noticed that some people(in general) prefer for dc's to use paci's and others thumbs for a variety of reasons. We should start a poll... :P

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

HannaAddict
06-02-2005, 01:57 AM
I am curious why you want to discourage it when she's so little? I wouldn't worry about it and would let her do it. From what I've read and heard from our pediatrician, this is another one of the normal developmental things babies do. And boredom in an 11 week old and comfort/self soothing seem very closely related, if not the same thing. We didn't try and discourage it when our son found his thumb and he ended up only doing it occassionally in the car, and it went away on its own (to reappear every once in a blue moon). Our ped said he prefered thumb sucking to pacifiers and not to worry about it if our son started doing it in earnest (which he never did). I sucked my thumb when I was little and never needed braces, etc. (and I wanted them when everyone else had them!). At 11 weeks, I would not try to switch her to a pacifier, that seems like a bigger problem down the road. She might be experimenting and not even develop into a full blown "thumbsucker."

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict
I am curious why you want to discourage it when she's so little? I wouldn't worry about it and would let her do it. From what I've read and heard from our pediatrician, this is another one of the normal developmental things babies do. And boredom in an 11 week old and comfort/self soothing seem very closely related, if not the same thing. We didn't try and discourage it when our son found his thumb and he ended up only doing it occassionally in the car, and it went away on its own (to reappear every once in a blue moon). Our ped said he prefered thumb sucking to pacifiers and not to worry about it if our son started doing it in earnest (which he never did). I sucked my thumb when I was little and never needed braces, etc. (and I wanted them when everyone else had them!). At 11 weeks, I would not try to switch her to a pacifier, that seems like a bigger problem down the road. She might be experimenting and not even develop into a full blown "thumbsucker."

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

HannaAddict

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

trumansmom
06-02-2005, 02:53 AM
I was just thinking tonight about how grateful I am to have a thumbsucker! DD sucks her thumb, and I honestly don't have a problem with it. Most kids quit before they are school age, and my DD just sucks her thumb when she's sleepy. I'm glad she has a way of comforting herself.

Plus, I can't imagine any way to "correct" infant behavior. If they want to do it, they are going to do it! I can't imagine how frustrating it would become for both you and her if you try to change it.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

trumansmom
I was just thinking tonight about how grateful I am to have a thumbsucker! DD sucks her thumb, and I honestly don't have a problem with it. Most kids quit before they are school age, and my DD just sucks her thumb when she's sleepy. I'm glad she has a way of comforting herself.

Plus, I can't imagine any way to "correct" infant behavior. If they want to do it, they are going to do it! I can't imagine how frustrating it would become for both you and her if you try to change it.

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

AngelaS
06-02-2005, 06:06 AM
My two oldest were/are both thumbsuckers and I'm seriously BUMMED that Miss Meredith is NOT! It's SO convenient and they're so happy when their 'happiness' is attached! My husband and both had braces for 2+ years so we figured, what the heck, the odds are against them so they might as well be happy!

My oldest gave hers up on her own at 4. My middle one just turned 3 and still loves her thumb. Just last night she was layin' in my bed snuggling before bedtime and asked me if I was going to suck MY thumb. LOL :D

AngelaS
My two oldest were/are both thumbsuckers and I'm seriously BUMMED that Miss Meredith is NOT! It's SO convenient and they're so happy when their 'happiness' is attached! My husband and both had braces for 2+ years so we figured, what the heck, the odds are against them so they might as well be happy!

My oldest gave hers up on her own at 4. My middle one just turned 3 and still loves her thumb. Just last night she was layin' in my bed snuggling before bedtime and asked me if I was going to suck MY thumb. LOL :D

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

AngelaS

sidmand
06-02-2005, 06:55 AM
It's true that most kids give it up on their own by the time they go to school or find that it's really not so acceptable to be doing. However, I was a bed thumbsucker for way more years than I care to admit! (I only sucked my thumb though when I was in bed, but I usually read books in bed and I was a huge reader as well.) It did affect my "real" teeth and I finally only stopped because the dentist basically told me that I would have to wear braces forever if I didn't. And the only reason I needed braces in the first place WAS because I had pushed my front teeth out from the sucking (okay, I was probably about 12, but that is an EXTREME example from what I understand).

My parents had tried everything...the nasty tasting stuff to put on your thumb, pulling it out in the middle of the night (apparently the suction on those things is amazing), but nothing helped until I did it myself. To this day I sleep with my hand under my pillow!

But it wasn't the end of the world. And I think I'm a pretty extreme example. Most kids stop on their own. Most teeth aren't really affected. Mine were pushed out, just a bit, and as far as I know, my baby teeth were fine. It was just my *adult* teeth!

Debbie
http://lilypie.com/days/050619/0/8/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

It's a boy! Now we just need to come up with a name! About 99% sure we're going with Sawyer...

sidmand
It's true that most kids give it up on their own by the time they go to school or find that it's really not so acceptable to be doing. However, I was a bed thumbsucker for way more years than I care to admit! (I only sucked my thumb though when I was in bed, but I usually read books in bed and I was a huge reader as well.) It did affect my "real" teeth and I finally only stopped because the dentist basically told me that I would have to wear braces forever if I didn't. And the only reason I needed braces in the first place WAS because I had pushed my front teeth out from the sucking (okay, I was probably about 12, but that is an EXTREME example from what I understand).

My parents had tried everything...the nasty tasting stuff to put on your thumb, pulling it out in the middle of the night (apparently the suction on those things is amazing), but nothing helped until I did it myself. To this day I sleep with my hand under my pillow!

But it wasn't the end of the world. And I think I'm a pretty extreme example. Most kids stop on their own. Most teeth aren't really affected. Mine were pushed out, just a bit, and as far as I know, my baby teeth were fine. It was just my *adult* teeth!

Debbie

It's a boy! Now we just need to come up with a name! About 99% sure we're going with Sawyer...

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie