PDA

View Full Version : Update on dd's signing (for those who helped - and others who are frustrated!)

Pages : [1] 2

Judegirl
06-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Thank you all for encouraging us to continue! About three days after I posted, Riordan started signing "more." As of today (almost 13 months), she signs: milk, eat, more, drink, dog, airplane, socks, shoes, all done, no more/don't want, brush teeth, up, sling, and she understands but can't yet do a slew of others!

FWIW, contrary to some of the advice I read here, we did not reduce the number of signs we did. Dh didn't buy the theory (I argued for it but lost!) that she would get overwhelmed with too many signs. He wins this one; she started using one sign, then two, but now they seem to be coming fast.

Also, she's only watched the videos a handful of times (and they do "dog" differently than we do LOL) - what she's learned has been from us, so don't worry about that, either.

So if you're working at it, keep it up...it is SO worth it to have her toddle up to me and tell me she wants milk!!

Hee hee hee. I'm so happy. Thanks, guys!

Jude

Judegirl
Thank you all for encouraging us to continue! About three days after I posted, Riordan started signing "more." As of today (almost 13 months), she signs: milk, eat, more, drink, dog, airplane, socks, shoes, all done, no more/don't want, brush teeth, up, sling, and she understands but can't yet do a slew of others!

FWIW, contrary to some of the advice I read here, we did not reduce the number of signs we did. Dh didn't buy the theory (I argued for it but lost!) that she would get overwhelmed with too many signs. He wins this one; she started using one sign, then two, but now they seem to be coming fast.

Also, she's only watched the videos a handful of times (and they do "dog" differently than we do LOL) - what she's learned has been from us, so don't worry about that, either.

So if you're working at it, keep it up...it is SO worth it to have her toddle up to me and tell me she wants milk!!

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

Judegirl

Jude

ellies mom
06-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Wow, that is great. I'm really impressed that she asks for stuff. My DD knows a bunch but never asks for anything. She does use the more sign but I can never figure out what she wants more of though. My favorite sign she does is coffee (she get water). At anyrate, congrats on the break though.

ellies mom
Wow, that is great. I'm really impressed that she asks for stuff. My DD knows a bunch but never asks for anything. She does use the more sign but I can never figure out what she wants more of though. My favorite sign she does is coffee (she get water). At anyrate, congrats on the break though.

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

Judegirl
06-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks, Veronica!

The asking took off just today, actually - she brought me my sling and insisted I put it on and put her in it (all day long this happened, actually; she's teething again) - and ran to the stove and signed "eat" before I had even started to make it - and signed shoes and pointed and wouldn't stop until I had actually put them ON her feet. (I thought she was trying to say "More shoes" and didn't understand, until I realized that was her sign for shoes!)

It was quite a turning point in terms of communication - at least today, she was an asker. She may just want to show off her signs.
Maybe Ellie's just content with knowing! :)

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

The asking took off just today, actually - she brought me my sling and insisted I put it on and put her in it (all day long this happened, actually; she's teething again) - and ran to the stove and signed "eat" before I had even started to make it - and signed shoes and pointed and wouldn't stop until I had actually put them ON her feet. (I thought she was trying to say "More shoes" and didn't understand, until I realized that was her sign for shoes!)

It was quite a turning point in terms of communication - at least today, she was an asker. She may just want to show off her signs.

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Judegirl
Thanks, Veronica!

Jude

Wife_and_mommy
06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Isn't it exciting?!! Nothing else I've done(even breastfeeding,I have to say) has come close to giving me the pride that I'VE taught her the signs she's using. And to think so much more is on the way in terms of her learning things. It's truly one of the best decision I made. DH is just awed that O actually signs. It's hilarious to see his face when she signs. He gets all giddy and smiles. He's come onboard(he was nonchalant about it before)completely and now tries to get her to sign for no reason.

Okay here are the ones O knows so far: more(uses this one alot), all done, banana, telephone, (go to)sleep, please, dog

Thanks for starting this thread. You're so right that the encouragement we both received helped us us stick with it! :)

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Wife_and_mommy
Isn't it exciting?!! Nothing else I've done(even breastfeeding,I have to say) has come close to giving me the pride that I'VE taught her the signs she's using. And to think so much more is on the way in terms of her learning things. It's truly one of the best decision I made. DH is just awed that O actually signs. It's hilarious to see his face when she signs. He gets all giddy and smiles. He's come onboard(he was nonchalant about it before)completely and now tries to get her to sign for no reason.

Okay here are the ones O knows so far: more(uses this one alot), all done, banana, telephone, (go to)sleep, please, dog

Thanks for starting this thread. You're so right that the encouragement we both received helped us us stick with it! :)

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

steph2003
06-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Veronia -
DS figured out how to sign more. But now he signs it at random times & I never know what he wants more of :)

steph2003
Veronia -
DS figured out how to sign more. But now he signs it at random times & I never know what he wants more of :)

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

steph2003
Veronia -

KrisM
06-02-2005, 07:05 AM
You know, I was going to post and see how it was going for you. I'm glad your seeing feedback! She knows so many now.

Andrew picked up more a while ago, but hasn't gained a ton since. Now he does more, water, shoes, all done, and I thought something else. He understands a lot more, but just doesn't do them.

More and shoes is hard, since I'm never quite sure what he's doing.

Funny story - I have a friend whose son is 2 and is deaf. They are, of course, signing to him full-time. The funny part is that he babbles, just like other 2 year olds, only he babbles by moving his arms and hands around trying to sign a conversation or something!

KrisM
You know, I was going to post and see how it was going for you. I'm glad your seeing feedback! She knows so many now.

Andrew picked up more a while ago, but hasn't gained a ton since. Now he does more, water, shoes, all done, and I thought something else. He understands a lot more, but just doesn't do them.

Funny story - I have a friend whose son is 2 and is deaf. They are, of course, signing to him full-time. The funny part is that he babbles, just like other 2 year olds, only he babbles by moving his arms and hands around trying to sign a conversation or something!

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

KrisM

mysweetboy
06-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Wow Jude, that's awesome. Go Riordan! Things are going a little slower over here, but I'm still one proud mama. Charlie signed milk for the first time earlier this week, and the pride and love I felt was overwhelming. It was the sweetest thing. He's also been signing ball (his favorite toy) like crazy but he also uses the same sign for more. I keep showing him the difference b/w the two signs, hoping that eventually he'll sign them differently. But it's coming together for us too, and I imagine other signs are just going to follow.

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

etc spelling...i can't type anymore

mysweetboy
Wow Jude, that's awesome. Go Riordan! Things are going a little slower over here, but I'm still one proud mama. Charlie signed milk for the first time earlier this week, and the pride and love I felt was overwhelming. It was the sweetest thing. He's also been signing ball (his favorite toy) like crazy but he also uses the same sign for more. I keep showing him the difference b/w the two signs, hoping that eventually he'll sign them differently. But it's coming together for us too, and I imagine other signs are just going to follow.

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

mysweetboy

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04

aliceinwonderland
06-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Erik just signs milk and eat--we are too lax about showing him the DVD, I'm amazed he learned that much.

On which DVD is the sign for "all done" or "don't want"?? That would be a good one to know around here :)

aliceinwonderland
Erik just signs milk and eat--we are too lax about showing him the DVD, I'm amazed he learned that much.

On which DVD is the sign for "all done" or "don't want"?? That would be a good one to know around here :)

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

aliceinwonderland

jamsmu
06-02-2005, 08:13 AM
"all done" is on vol. 1--at the end, Leah signs "finished." Its really quick. "Want" is on volume 1. Don't want would be "no want" (no is also on vol. 1). Like/don't like is on volume 3.

jamsmu
"all done" is on vol. 1--at the end, Leah signs "finished." Its really quick. "Want" is on volume 1. Don't want would be "no want" (no is also on vol. 1). Like/don't like is on volume 3.

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu
06-02-2005, 08:14 AM
glad to hear it is all going well!

jamsmu

jamsmu

jamsmu