PDA

View Full Version : Child harness? What can I use to keep my son with me in the yard?

jubilee
06-02-2005, 01:59 AM
What can I do to keep my son near me when I'm weeding the front yard landscaping? We don't have a fence in the front yard. He's too old for and won't stay in a playpen. He can push the superyard around- plus setting it up is hard for me so we haven't used it in forever. The only idea I have is the harness/leash thing. But I remember that people here are pretty opposed to the use of these. So, any suggestions? I have a front yard that is never going to get weeded!

jubilee
What can I do to keep my son near me when I'm weeding the front yard landscaping? We don't have a fence in the front yard. He's too old for and won't stay in a playpen. He can push the superyard around- plus setting it up is hard for me so we haven't used it in forever. The only idea I have is the harness/leash thing. But I remember that people here are pretty opposed to the use of these. So, any suggestions? I have a front yard that is never going to get weeded!

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

toomanystrollers
06-02-2005, 05:22 AM
Sorry Julie, I had to chuckle b/c I'm now picturing invisible fencing for kids :)

Hmmm, I think harness use is a must in a Disney/amusement park setting but I don't know how you'll manage to weed and hold the harness at the same time.

Time for Jacob to do the weeding LOL :)

toomanystrollers
Sorry Julie, I had to chuckle b/c I'm now picturing invisible fencing for kids :)

Hmmm, I think harness use is a must in a Disney/amusement park setting but I don't know how you'll manage to weed and hold the harness at the same time.

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

toomanystrollers

MartiesMom2B
06-02-2005, 05:30 AM
I've always said that there needs to be invisible fencing for kids.

Julie, when I want to get chores done in the front yard, I put plenty of toys in the front yard. I've also purchased some toy gardening tools and let her dig around in a little patch and Martie loves to water the yard too. I've also kind of put the fear of God into her if she crosses a certain line in the driveway.

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

MartiesMom2B

Julie, when I want to get chores done in the front yard, I put plenty of toys in the front yard. I've also purchased some toy gardening tools and let her dig around in a little patch and Martie loves to water the yard too. I've also kind of put the fear of God into her if she crosses a certain line in the driveway.

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

zuzu
06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I know this dilemma well. I'm loving the idea of an invisible kiddo fence! ;) What I usually do is what Sonia suggesed - put some toys and play gardening tools out to entertain her. (Last year I had luck with filling the sand and water table with water and letting her play, but that was a bit of a pain to lug around from the back yard.) Sarah also has her own pair of gardening gloves, which have been a big hit. Last night I tried something new and it worked surprisingly well. I got a small bucket for her and as I pulled out the weeds I set them on the lawn and asked her to pick them up and put them in the bucket. Worked like a charm, and she loved being involved. That might be worth a try unless you're pulling up poison ivy or other things you don't want Logan to touch. Sarah is just starting to be able to pull out some weeds with shallow root systems if they are easliy identifiable and there's not much else around - like grass popping up through the mulch.

Good luck!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

zuzu
I know this dilemma well. I'm loving the idea of an invisible kiddo fence! ;) What I usually do is what Sonia suggesed - put some toys and play gardening tools out to entertain her. (Last year I had luck with filling the sand and water table with water and letting her play, but that was a bit of a pain to lug around from the back yard.) Sarah also has her own pair of gardening gloves, which have been a big hit. Last night I tried something new and it worked surprisingly well. I got a small bucket for her and as I pulled out the weeds I set them on the lawn and asked her to pick them up and put them in the bucket. Worked like a charm, and she loved being involved. That might be worth a try unless you're pulling up poison ivy or other things you don't want Logan to touch. Sarah is just starting to be able to pull out some weeds with shallow root systems if they are easliy identifiable and there's not much else around - like grass popping up through the mulch.

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

zuzu

Good luck!

jubilee
06-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I love the idea of Jacob weeding! But right now with school- he barely has any free time. I do have him mow the yard, but weeding is his most hated chore and since school is SO demanding right now, I'm giving him a pardon. (At least until school is out in a few weeks!)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions about bringing the toys/kid garden equipment into the front yard. I've just been SO skiddish about him running into the street, that I've never even tried it... I guess I should give it a go!

jubilee
I love the idea of Jacob weeding! But right now with school- he barely has any free time. I do have him mow the yard, but weeding is his most hated chore and since school is SO demanding right now, I'm giving him a pardon. (At least until school is out in a few weeks!)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions about bringing the toys/kid garden equipment into the front yard. I've just been SO skiddish about him running into the street, that I've never even tried it... I guess I should give it a go!

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

August Mom
06-03-2005, 08:00 AM
I think the only way the harness would work is if you attached it to something, but I wouldn't want to do that myself. Unless you are weeding right next to the street, I would try taking DS out with me. My DS loves to "help". The gardening tools are a big hit. If you have a bucket or wheelbarrow or dump truck that he can put dirt into, that seems to work best. Also, from an early age I have stressed that DS is not allowed to go past the sidewalk line and he is very mindful of this.

The other thing I do sometimes is do this kind of work during naptime.

August Mom
I think the only way the harness would work is if you attached it to something, but I wouldn't want to do that myself. Unless you are weeding right next to the street, I would try taking DS out with me. My DS loves to "help". The gardening tools are a big hit. If you have a bucket or wheelbarrow or dump truck that he can put dirt into, that seems to work best. Also, from an early age I have stressed that DS is not allowed to go past the sidewalk line and he is very mindful of this.

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

JBaxter
06-03-2005, 08:12 AM
I have the same problem but with an added twist. DS is 18months and NO amount of toys keeps him occupied. Our neighbors have a pool ( with a fence around it) but they also have 4 boys living at home and even though they are very good about keeping their gate closed it would only take one time for it to be slightly open. Ladies please dont yell but I have hooked his harness to the dog lead its 25 ft... that sounds bad but I only do it if I have to have my back to him and he WILL not stop running and its not an every day thing...Right now a fence around our yard isnt an option it will be in the future. I would sooner take criticism than the chance he gets away from me and heads to the pool.
Jeana

JBaxter
I have the same problem but with an added twist. DS is 18months and NO amount of toys keeps him occupied. Our neighbors have a pool ( with a fence around it) but they also have 4 boys living at home and even though they are very good about keeping their gate closed it would only take one time for it to be slightly open. Ladies please dont yell but I have hooked his harness to the dog lead its 25 ft... that sounds bad but I only do it if I have to have my back to him and he WILL not stop running and its not an every day thing...Right now a fence around our yard isnt an option it will be in the future. I would sooner take criticism than the chance he gets away from me and heads to the pool.
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

fauve01
06-03-2005, 09:47 PM
in addition to toys and gardening tools, i want to suggest a teeny pool or big pan of water. My DD LOVES to play in water! i got a tiny one ring blow up pool from the grocery for $3 and it takes one bucket of water (i get warm from the kitchen sink) and set it up next to me at the flower bed and she has a BALL splashing and getting in and out til the water is gone!!

good luck!

Anne + DD 10-03

fauve01
in addition to toys and gardening tools, i want to suggest a teeny pool or big pan of water. My DD LOVES to play in water! i got a tiny one ring blow up pool from the grocery for $3 and it takes one bucket of water (i get warm from the kitchen sink) and set it up next to me at the flower bed and she has a BALL splashing and getting in and out til the water is gone!!

good luck!

Anne + DD 10-03

fauve01

good luck!

Anne + DD 10-03

californiagirl
06-04-2005, 09:56 AM
As long as you can keep him from getting tangled up in anything, I see no reason for criticism. Actually, I put DD on a harness when we're out and about fairly often, and I'm seriously considering getting a dog leash to replace the silly one on the harness -- the retractable feature would really help us both. My best friend says I should go for it and if anybody complains I should tell them it's not really a dog leash, it's the latest Australian baby leash (DH is Australian).

californiagirl
As long as you can keep him from getting tangled up in anything, I see no reason for criticism. Actually, I put DD on a harness when we're out and about fairly often, and I'm seriously considering getting a dog leash to replace the silly one on the harness -- the retractable feature would really help us both. My best friend says I should go for it and if anybody complains I should tell them it's not really a dog leash, it's the latest Australian baby leash (DH is Australian).

californiagirl

houseof3boys
06-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm with everyone else on the invisible fence!

I actually did this a few weeks ago with Ryan (who loves to run in the street despite my conistent efforts to stop him) and we used a wagon and we called it the "weed wagon". I would pull the weeds and put them in a pile and I would shot "weed wagon" and he would come and pick them up for me. I had a paper grocery bag (Whole Foods) and we would transfer them from the wagon to the grocery bag on the front porch. This would give him time to empty them into the bag while I continued pulling weeds. It is not the easiest way to pull weeds and it certainly slows you down but it's a start to getting him to help you!

You can also get a bucket and a watering can and have him fill it and then water some spot away from you. Teach him to just fill it a little bit each time so he has to keep walking back to the water so it takes him longer. :)

Best of luck with weeding.

houseof3boys
06-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm with everyone else on the invisible fence!

I actually did this a few weeks ago with Ryan (who loves to run in the street despite my conistent efforts to stop him) and we used a wagon and we called it the "weed wagon". I would pull the weeds and put them in a pile and I would shot "weed wagon" and he would come and pick them up for me. I had a paper grocery bag (Whole Foods) and we would transfer them from the wagon to the grocery bag on the front porch. This would give him time to empty them into the bag while I continued pulling weeds. It is not the easiest way to pull weeds and it certainly slows you down but it's a start to getting him to help you!

You can also get a bucket and a watering can and have him fill it and then water some spot away from you. Teach him to just fill it a little bit each time so he has to keep walking back to the water so it takes him longer. :)

Best of luck with weeding.