PDA

View Full Version : How many words does your 20 month old say?

Pages : [1] 2 3

buttergirl12
06-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I never thought DS was that far behind in talking but after reading the message board this morning I'm interested how he compares to other kids his age. He only uses a couple of words (less than 5). He understands most of what we say and seems shy about trying new words. Sometimes he will just mouth it silently. If I ask him if he can say something he will look like he tries and then shake his head no. I'm hoping he is one of those kids who make sure they can say it properly first and surprise me one day with full sentences.

buttergirl12
I never thought DS was that far behind in talking but after reading the message board this morning I'm interested how he compares to other kids his age. He only uses a couple of words (less than 5). He understands most of what we say and seems shy about trying new words. Sometimes he will just mouth it silently. If I ask him if he can say something he will look like he tries and then shake his head no. I'm hoping he is one of those kids who make sure they can say it properly first and surprise me one day with full sentences.

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

buttergirl12

lmintzer
06-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Well, Joshua is only 18 mos. (and was a month early), so he's not exactly the right age, but I checked off "10 words or less". He's definitely a late talker, much later than his older brother (who speaks enough for the whole family!). He says 2-3 words at most right now.

I'm not worried, despite the fact that many would send him for a speech eval. at this point. He's developing nicely and keeps making progress. His fine motor skills are excellent, and he's just, well, very very busy. He's our little engineer in the making.

lmintzer
Well, Joshua is only 18 mos. (and was a month early), so he's not exactly the right age, but I checked off "10 words or less". He's definitely a late talker, much later than his older brother (who speaks enough for the whole family!). He says 2-3 words at most right now.

I'm not worried, despite the fact that many would send him for a speech eval. at this point. He's developing nicely and keeps making progress. His fine motor skills are excellent, and he's just, well, very very busy. He's our little engineer in the making.

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

lmintzer

octmom
06-02-2005, 08:58 AM
I wasn't sure how to vote, so I chose more than 10. DS will sometimes (not often) string a couple of words together. Yesterday, he said "bye-bye tree" over and over all the way home from daycare because he wanted to touch the leaves on a tree near the car and after I held him up to do so, I told him to say bye-bye to the tree so I could get him in his carseat.

Some of DS's words are not very clear. For instance, tractor and cracker sound a lot alike. I only know which he is talking about based on the context. And my DS often will be a bit shy about new words too. A week or so ago, he was all about animal sounds (what does a cow/ sheep/ duck/ horse say?), but he seems to have grown a bit weary of that at the moment and just stares at me sometimes when I ask him. He did start saying "cow bell" this week whenever he sees his Baby McDonald DVD case. He loves to dance to the music in that one (especially the music playing during the menu screen), so he requests it by saying "cow bell". (There is a cow on the cover.)

FWIW, I was getting worried earlier this spring because I felt like DS wasn't talking as much as some of his classmates at daycare. (One was singing a good portion of the alphabet song at 20 months!) DS has started picking up more words lately, and my anxiety has lessened.

If it makes you feel any better, a colleague in my office says that her DH didn't speak until he was almost four and then he started in full sentences. He has a PhD and is now a Politics professor. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

octmom
I wasn't sure how to vote, so I chose more than 10. DS will sometimes (not often) string a couple of words together. Yesterday, he said "bye-bye tree" over and over all the way home from daycare because he wanted to touch the leaves on a tree near the car and after I held him up to do so, I told him to say bye-bye to the tree so I could get him in his carseat.

Some of DS's words are not very clear. For instance, tractor and cracker sound a lot alike. I only know which he is talking about based on the context. And my DS often will be a bit shy about new words too. A week or so ago, he was all about animal sounds (what does a cow/ sheep/ duck/ horse say?), but he seems to have grown a bit weary of that at the moment and just stares at me sometimes when I ask him. He did start saying "cow bell" this week whenever he sees his Baby McDonald DVD case. He loves to dance to the music in that one (especially the music playing during the menu screen), so he requests it by saying "cow bell". (There is a cow on the cover.)

FWIW, I was getting worried earlier this spring because I felt like DS wasn't talking as much as some of his classmates at daycare. (One was singing a good portion of the alphabet song at 20 months!) DS has started picking up more words lately, and my anxiety has lessened.

If it makes you feel any better, a colleague in my office says that her DH didn't speak until he was almost four and then he started in full sentences. He has a PhD and is now a Politics professor. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

Mommy_Again
06-02-2005, 09:11 AM
DS is probably at about two dozen, and then has maybe a dozen more that I have not yet identified (if anyone know what "neeeee" means when they point up, let me know).

He has not strung any words together yet.

Mommy_Again
DS is probably at about two dozen, and then has maybe a dozen more that I have not yet identified (if anyone know what "neeeee" means when they point up, let me know).

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

lmariana
06-02-2005, 09:14 AM
At 20 months Gabe had less than 10 verbal words and about 10 signs in his vocabulary. But in the past 2 months, he increased a TON!

A couple months ago, he would only say: momma, dadda, wa-wa, night-night, Leia, Sarah, hot, and out.

Then he just started talking more and more...it just happens when they're ready, I really don't think you have any reason to be concerned at all. Just give it a few months and you'll be blown away by your little genius!!

Our ped said that he doesn't even bother with speech evaluations until there's a real reason for concern...like 3 years old and not talking. There's nothing abnormal about a 1.5 year old having a small or non-existant vocabulary.

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/0/0/1/-5/.png

lmariana
At 20 months Gabe had less than 10 verbal words and about 10 signs in his vocabulary. But in the past 2 months, he increased a TON!

A couple months ago, he would only say: momma, dadda, wa-wa, night-night, Leia, Sarah, hot, and out.

Then he just started talking more and more...it just happens when they're ready, I really don't think you have any reason to be concerned at all. Just give it a few months and you'll be blown away by your little genius!!

Our ped said that he doesn't even bother with speech evaluations until there's a real reason for concern...like 3 years old and not talking. There's nothing abnormal about a 1.5 year old having a small or non-existant vocabulary.

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

lmariana

No worries!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby

g-mama
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Honestly, I would say that Benjamin (21 mos) says 75+ words and does put 2-3 words together (more milk, change diaper, close door, bless you, help me).

BUT...my 4.5 yo said about 2 words at this age. And of course, I worried. I think being a second child may have something to do with it because he hears a lot more talking from the constant conversation between me and his big brother. But also, my first ds was very, very physically agile, and my 2nd ds is not nearly as physical, but much more verbal. My 4.5 yo now talks very well, in fact, never STOPS talking - lol. He was, like you said, one of those who won't do something til he knows he can do it perfectly, and his speech did take off literally overnight, from no words to sentences. So, no worries! It'll all come.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

g-mama
Honestly, I would say that Benjamin (21 mos) says 75+ words and does put 2-3 words together (more milk, change diaper, close door, bless you, help me).

BUT...my 4.5 yo said about 2 words at this age. And of course, I worried. I think being a second child may have something to do with it because he hears a lot more talking from the constant conversation between me and his big brother. But also, my first ds was very, very physically agile, and my 2nd ds is not nearly as physical, but much more verbal. My 4.5 yo now talks very well, in fact, never STOPS talking - lol. He was, like you said, one of those who won't do something til he knows he can do it perfectly, and his speech did take off literally overnight, from no words to sentences. So, no worries! It'll all come.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

miki
06-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I find it interesting that the PPs all have DSs who seem like they are just starting to talk. I have a DD and she says complete sentences. She sings some songs (like the alphabet song) and for some songs, she'll substitute her own words to suit the occasion (this morning we had a 'waffle song' instead of the Elmo song). Moms with older kids I have met IRL comment to me on how talky DD is and the ones with boys always tell me their sons hardly said anything until they were around 2-2.5 years. Then all of a sudden, the boys started talking in complete sentences and seemed to skip the baby talk altogether.

miki
I find it interesting that the PPs all have DSs who seem like they are just starting to talk. I have a DD and she says complete sentences. She sings some songs (like the alphabet song) and for some songs, she'll substitute her own words to suit the occasion (this morning we had a 'waffle song' instead of the Elmo song). Moms with older kids I have met IRL comment to me on how talky DD is and the ones with boys always tell me their sons hardly said anything until they were around 2-2.5 years. Then all of a sudden, the boys started talking in complete sentences and seemed to skip the baby talk altogether.

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

TraciG
06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Sydney is 19 monhts old, all she says that is clear is hi and she says it to everyone ! She say's cheese & keys but not clear. She seem's to understand everything though that we say to her .

TraciG
Sydney is 19 monhts old, all she says that is clear is hi and she says it to everyone ! She say's cheese & keys but not clear. She seem's to understand everything though that we say to her .

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

McQ
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
It depends on the child, not necessarily gender. Declan had about 30 words by the time he was 15 months and hundreds of words by the time he was two. And he was putting them together in sentences long before that. Now he says absolutely everything.

I think this is one of those range things. You son sounds fine and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

McQ
It depends on the child, not necessarily gender. Declan had about 30 words by the time he was 15 months and hundreds of words by the time he was two. And he was putting them together in sentences long before that. Now he says absolutely everything.

I think this is one of those range things. You son sounds fine and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

McQ

Allison

s_gosney
06-02-2005, 11:38 AM
My dd is 19 months (hope that's close enough for you =)). I voted more than 10. I haven't counted recently, but I think she's probably pushing 50 words now, with many other unidentifiable ones. ;) She has not yet strung words together.

s_gosney
My dd is 19 months (hope that's close enough for you =)). I voted more than 10. I haven't counted recently, but I think she's probably pushing 50 words now, with many other unidentifiable ones. ;) She has not yet strung words together.

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

DDowning
06-02-2005, 11:41 AM
C's about to turn 2 and is just saying maybe 10 words now and the rest is babble. I went ahead and had him evaluated at 21 months. They pegged him at a 12 month development for expressive speech. We qualified for therapy 1 hour a week for 6 months and he starts the 16th. Its free to us as part of the 0-3 program so why not take advantage. If anything it will help him on clarity.

DDowning
C's about to turn 2 and is just saying maybe 10 words now and the rest is babble. I went ahead and had him evaluated at 21 months. They pegged him at a 12 month development for expressive speech. We qualified for therapy 1 hour a week for 6 months and he starts the 16th. Its free to us as part of the 0-3 program so why not take advantage. If anything it will help him on clarity.

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning

DDowning