PDA

View Full Version : Daycare and infants to toddler room

lindauer72101
06-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Hello all. I am curious about something. At my daycare, which I love, they are starting to move infants to the toddler room around the first birthday. (Three infants have moved at 11 months and one at 14 months). What is the average age that children tend to move to the toddler room? Of course the daycare requires that they be walking well, eating some finger food, in process of mastering a sippy cup and have eliminated their morning nap.

My daughter just took her first steps last night. However, a friend of ours who's daughter is just three weeks older has started transitioning to the toddler room. I fear that maybe some of these children are being rushed to move when maybe they are still babies and should get the extra care in the infant room.

Thanks for your thoughts.

lindauer72101
Hello all. I am curious about something. At my daycare, which I love, they are starting to move infants to the toddler room around the first birthday. (Three infants have moved at 11 months and one at 14 months). What is the average age that children tend to move to the toddler room? Of course the daycare requires that they be walking well, eating some finger food, in process of mastering a sippy cup and have eliminated their morning nap.

My daughter just took her first steps last night. However, a friend of ours who's daughter is just three weeks older has started transitioning to the toddler room. I fear that maybe some of these children are being rushed to move when maybe they are still babies and should get the extra care in the infant room.

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

lindauer72101

amp
06-02-2005, 09:00 AM
IMO, from experience, yes, as the waiting list for the infant room grows, and kids reach about 12-14 mths, they do start pushing them into the toddler room sooner. It isn't necessarily right, but it happens. And most kids handle it pretty well. In fact, some get moving and walking more rapidly in an effort to keep up with the older kids. The transition can be tough though, since they are the little ones in a room full of active toddlers.

amp
IMO, from experience, yes, as the waiting list for the infant room grows, and kids reach about 12-14 mths, they do start pushing them into the toddler room sooner. It isn't necessarily right, but it happens. And most kids handle it pretty well. In fact, some get moving and walking more rapidly in an effort to keep up with the older kids. The transition can be tough though, since they are the little ones in a room full of active toddlers.

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

octmom
06-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Congratulations on your daughter's first steps! How exciting!

Our daycare has one room for ages 6 weeks to 8 months, another for ages 8 months to 16 months, and the third (the first true "toddler room" IMO) goes from 16 months to 24 months. The age ranges are approximate and not every child moves up as soon as they hit the age. It all depends on when other children are moving up and spaces are available. My DS was in the first room until he was 10 months and the second room until he was 17 months.

At our daycare, the children are not on a set schedule until the third room -- one nap after lunch, all meals and snacks at the same time. The teachers in the toddler room do not give bottles either, all kids drink from sippy cups. We were trying to get Ds completely off the bottle before he moved up, but one of his teachers in the second room was not helpful. We kept one empty bottle in his cubby to be used only if he would not drink from a sippy at all and she kept using it. Also, in this room the children eat at tables in little chairs (not highchairs) and nap on cots rather than in cribs. This last move was tough for DS, in part because he was sick when he moved up and missed his transition, but it has worked out now.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

octmom

Our daycare has one room for ages 6 weeks to 8 months, another for ages 8 months to 16 months, and the third (the first true "toddler room" IMO) goes from 16 months to 24 months. The age ranges are approximate and not every child moves up as soon as they hit the age. It all depends on when other children are moving up and spaces are available. My DS was in the first room until he was 10 months and the second room until he was 17 months.

At our daycare, the children are not on a set schedule until the third room -- one nap after lunch, all meals and snacks at the same time. The teachers in the toddler room do not give bottles either, all kids drink from sippy cups. We were trying to get Ds completely off the bottle before he moved up, but one of his teachers in the second room was not helpful. We kept one empty bottle in his cubby to be used only if he would not drink from a sippy at all and she kept using it. Also, in this room the children eat at tables in little chairs (not highchairs) and nap on cots rather than in cribs. This last move was tough for DS, in part because he was sick when he moved up and missed his transition, but it has worked out now.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

babymama
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Transitioning my son from infant room to toddler room was a NIGHTMARE. He was transitioned at 13 months (the group that transitioned before him ranged from 14 months to 17 months) - too young IMO. The hardest part was that I was unaware of the many new things they are required to do in the toddler room. He needed to be able to sit quitely on his own and listen to a book or listen to teacher singing a song (sitting in a neat little circle - yeah, right!), be able to wash his own hands and throw the paper towel he used to dry his hands in the trash, be able to stand in a single file line and follow the leader, be able to go all day without his pacifier - including taking a nap without a paci, be able to listen and follow instructions, be able to sit in and understand the concept of "timeout", and many others that I can;t remember at the moment. RIDICULOUS!!!! I was pissed that the school didn't fully explain ALL of the changes - not just the sippy cup and naps (which alone I thought was a lot to ask of a 13 month old). My son started walking early (10 months), so they mistakenly assumed he was ready to be in the toddler room. I had to hold them off and successfully got them to delay it until 13 months, but still I think that was too soon. I am starting the conversation with the director now about the next transition. If you don't feel the time is right, definitely ask them to delay the transition. It can be really heart-wrenching to see your child struggling to keep up with a pace that may in fact be inappropriate for a child so young. Be very adament about knowing everything that will change - her new schedule, her new food menu (they give kids in the toddler room PEANUT BUTTER - which I refused to allow my DS to have), her new classmates, everything!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

babymama
Transitioning my son from infant room to toddler room was a NIGHTMARE. He was transitioned at 13 months (the group that transitioned before him ranged from 14 months to 17 months) - too young IMO. The hardest part was that I was unaware of the many new things they are required to do in the toddler room. He needed to be able to sit quitely on his own and listen to a book or listen to teacher singing a song (sitting in a neat little circle - yeah, right!), be able to wash his own hands and throw the paper towel he used to dry his hands in the trash, be able to stand in a single file line and follow the leader, be able to go all day without his pacifier - including taking a nap without a paci, be able to listen and follow instructions, be able to sit in and understand the concept of "timeout", and many others that I can;t remember at the moment. RIDICULOUS!!!! I was pissed that the school didn't fully explain ALL of the changes - not just the sippy cup and naps (which alone I thought was a lot to ask of a 13 month old). My son started walking early (10 months), so they mistakenly assumed he was ready to be in the toddler room. I had to hold them off and successfully got them to delay it until 13 months, but still I think that was too soon. I am starting the conversation with the director now about the next transition. If you don't feel the time is right, definitely ask them to delay the transition. It can be really heart-wrenching to see your child struggling to keep up with a pace that may in fact be inappropriate for a child so young. Be very adament about knowing everything that will change - her new schedule, her new food menu (they give kids in the toddler room PEANUT BUTTER - which I refused to allow my DS to have), her new classmates, everything!

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

babymama

Lydia

sdjeppa
06-02-2005, 10:26 AM
My son didn't move up until about 15 months, he was a late walker. But he was ready in all other aspects, and was quite frankly, getting bored in the infant room. They had a "backlog", and one other boy and DS moved up in February, while the other 5 that were only a few weeks younger are just now starting to move up. Some of the kids moved closer to 13 months.

Our toddler room doesn't require as much as the PP. They required a sippy cup, one nap, and walking. The rest they work on helping them learn when they are there, such as sitting in the circle, walking on the loop rope, washing hands, etc. And they can have pacifiers at naptime, luckily!

Jenny, Mommy to Zachary 9-27-03

sdjeppa
My son didn't move up until about 15 months, he was a late walker. But he was ready in all other aspects, and was quite frankly, getting bored in the infant room. They had a "backlog", and one other boy and DS moved up in February, while the other 5 that were only a few weeks younger are just now starting to move up. Some of the kids moved closer to 13 months.

Our toddler room doesn't require as much as the PP. They required a sippy cup, one nap, and walking. The rest they work on helping them learn when they are there, such as sitting in the circle, walking on the loop rope, washing hands, etc. And they can have pacifiers at naptime, luckily!

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

sdjeppa

vpalmer
06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I think every daycare is different. At Eva's daycare the first three rooms are not related to age at all, they are moved up according to development. The first room is for newborns until they begin crawling, the second is for crawlers and the third for walkers. The second and third rooms are actually one room with a built in half wall between the two sides. After that, the kids are moved up in order of age to the fourth and fifth rooms which are also split by a half wall. The general age range in the 4th and 5th room is 1-2 years old. The true "toddler" room is the 2 year old room which Eva has been in for about a month, this is when they do circle time, more structured activities, etc.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer
I think every daycare is different. At Eva's daycare the first three rooms are not related to age at all, they are moved up according to development. The first room is for newborns until they begin crawling, the second is for crawlers and the third for walkers. The second and third rooms are actually one room with a built in half wall between the two sides. After that, the kids are moved up in order of age to the fourth and fifth rooms which are also split by a half wall. The general age range in the 4th and 5th room is 1-2 years old. The true "toddler" room is the 2 year old room which Eva has been in for about a month, this is when they do circle time, more structured activities, etc.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03