PDA

View Full Version : Help! Non-CIO sleep strategies?

sarahsthreads
06-02-2005, 09:06 AM
My daughter used to be a terrific sleeper at around 5 months old (11 hours straight). Now she's 7 months and between teething and crawling and pulling up we're battling middle-of-the-night wakings that last hours.

Here's last night, which unfortunately has become a common scenario:

7:30 bedtime routine and feeding. baby asleep by 8.
9:00 a little fussing requiring binky insertion
12:30 go to bed (should have gone to bed at 9...)
2:30 awaken to screaming. stumble down hallway. nurse and rock baby.
3:30 (oops, dozed off in rocker) baby appears to be sound asleep. put baby in crib
3:31 baby sits up before her eyes are even open, starts screaming and pulling up
3:35 after laying her down repeatedly, patting her back, shushing her, etc., decide to bring her to bed
4:15 can no longer stay awake to prevent wide-awake baby from crawling over a parent and falling off bed, so transfer baby back to crib. turn on her aquarium, give her a binky, kiss her head, beg her to sleep.
4:30 can no longer listen to screaming. return to nursery. rock baby.
4:55 start to get frustrated with baby trying to slide off lap to go find toys and play. put baby in crib. return to bedroom, wake up husband.
5:00 finally fall asleep because apparently being snuggled in daddy's arms was all baby needed to fall back asleep.
8:30 up (after sleeping in an extra hour and a half, thank goodness) for the day.

Our usual strategies for getting Carrie back to sleep, rocking and partial co-sleeping, no longer seem to work. And heaven forbid she not fall asleep nursing at bedtime, because then we're really out of luck.

I'm not willing to try CIO, especially since once she gets going it only really escalates - I've never seen her soothe herself from out and out crying, although she sometimes will if she's only fussing. I truly do believe that she needs something when she cries in the middle of the night, and we really did have good luck with co-sleeping after her first wake-up until she became so mobile.

I'm one tired mama, since I usually deal with nighttime things and let my husband sleep. If anyone has any suggestions - and I'd certainly be willing to check out some books on the subject but have no idea where to start - I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sarah :)

sarahsthreads
My daughter used to be a terrific sleeper at around 5 months old (11 hours straight). Now she's 7 months and between teething and crawling and pulling up we're battling middle-of-the-night wakings that last hours.

3:30 (oops, dozed off in rocker) baby appears to be sound asleep. put baby in crib
3:31 baby sits up before her eyes are even open, starts screaming and pulling up
3:35 after laying her down repeatedly, patting her back, shushing her, etc., decide to bring her to bed
4:15 can no longer stay awake to prevent wide-awake baby from crawling over a parent and falling off bed, so transfer baby back to crib. turn on her aquarium, give her a binky, kiss her head, beg her to sleep.
4:55 start to get frustrated with baby trying to slide off lap to go find toys and play. put baby in crib. return to bedroom, wake up husband.
5:00 finally fall asleep because apparently being snuggled in daddy's arms was all baby needed to fall back asleep.
8:30 up (after sleeping in an extra hour and a half, thank goodness) for the day.

Our usual strategies for getting Carrie back to sleep, rocking and partial co-sleeping, no longer seem to work. And heaven forbid she not fall asleep nursing at bedtime, because then we're really out of luck.

I'm not willing to try CIO, especially since once she gets going it only really escalates - I've never seen her soothe herself from out and out crying, although she sometimes will if she's only fussing. I truly do believe that she needs something when she cries in the middle of the night, and we really did have good luck with co-sleeping after her first wake-up until she became so mobile.

I'm one tired mama, since I usually deal with nighttime things and let my husband sleep. If anyone has any suggestions - and I'd certainly be willing to check out some books on the subject but have no idea where to start - I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

sarahsthreads

Thanks!

brittone2
06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
We aren't CIO fans here either, but DS has always been a decent sleeper. We cosleep at 15 months still but it works great for us.

Anyhow, the book No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantly sounds like something you might be interested in. Gentle, but it encourages them to sleep better on their own gradually. Check it out :) I never read it but I know lots of mamas who couldn't do a full blown CIO session who loved it.

brittone2
We aren't CIO fans here either, but DS has always been a decent sleeper. We cosleep at 15 months still but it works great for us.

Anyhow, the book No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantly sounds like something you might be interested in. Gentle, but it encourages them to sleep better on their own gradually. Check it out :) I never read it but I know lots of mamas who couldn't do a full blown CIO session who loved it.

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

brittone2

Wife_and_mommy
06-02-2005, 10:15 AM
One thing that worked for me was to put her in the crib and sit in her room but not interact at all. She fussed for a bit, maybe even cried a bit, but eventually lied down and went to sleep. This method was very good for the "put me down so I can play at 3am" stage. It'd be great to try after you know all her needs are met.

I know it's rough! Hang in there.

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Wife_and_mommy
One thing that worked for me was to put her in the crib and sit in her room but not interact at all. She fussed for a bit, maybe even cried a bit, but eventually lied down and went to sleep. This method was very good for the "put me down so I can play at 3am" stage. It'd be great to try after you know all her needs are met.

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

chlobo
06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't have much advice but I wanted to say I empathize. My DD was/is not a big self soother. Also, she never just whimpers in the middle of the night, it's always an all out cry. She has also never "played peacefully" in her crib or even babbled to herself. She is either asleep in the crib or on her feet crying loudly. So I totally empathize.

I will say that if you are nursing, one thing that has worked for us is to have DH be the first responder. In our case, DH has much better luck getting DD back to sleep in the middle of the night. It has something to do with not having a food source.

Also check out the No Cry Sleep Solution.

chlobo
I don't have much advice but I wanted to say I empathize. My DD was/is not a big self soother. Also, she never just whimpers in the middle of the night, it's always an all out cry. She has also never "played peacefully" in her crib or even babbled to herself. She is either asleep in the crib or on her feet crying loudly. So I totally empathize.

I will say that if you are nursing, one thing that has worked for us is to have DH be the first responder. In our case, DH has much better luck getting DD back to sleep in the middle of the night. It has something to do with not having a food source.

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

murpheyblue
06-02-2005, 10:27 AM
You're at a rough stage. All those new abilities are do exciting for your daughter that she simply can't wait until morning to try them again.

We didn't CIO with my daughter. But I remember the days of her being up for 1 hour + streches at night and how exhausting it was. For one thing, get your DH to help you more with night wakings. My DH is a SAHD and I work outside the home and I handled most of the initial nightwakings with him coming in to assist. Getting some help will take some of the burden off you.

Does your child like a sling? At that age, we often put DD is a slong when she woek up at night and that was the best means of getting her back to sleep when she was wide awake.

I also recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution which deals a lot with night wakings.

murpheyblue
You're at a rough stage. All those new abilities are do exciting for your daughter that she simply can't wait until morning to try them again.

We didn't CIO with my daughter. But I remember the days of her being up for 1 hour + streches at night and how exhausting it was. For one thing, get your DH to help you more with night wakings. My DH is a SAHD and I work outside the home and I handled most of the initial nightwakings with him coming in to assist. Getting some help will take some of the burden off you.

Does your child like a sling? At that age, we often put DD is a slong when she woek up at night and that was the best means of getting her back to sleep when she was wide awake.

I also recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution which deals a lot with night wakings.

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

janettadine
06-02-2005, 10:44 AM
I also recommend "The No-Cry Sleep Solution", it helped us alot. Of course, whenever she's teething, or sick, we have to start all over again. This past week we really struggled, but we got her back on track, and didn't have to listen to her scream for hours (CIO definitely wasn't for us, either).

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine
I also recommend "The No-Cry Sleep Solution", it helped us alot. Of course, whenever she's teething, or sick, we have to start all over again. This past week we really struggled, but we got her back on track, and didn't have to listen to her scream for hours (CIO definitely wasn't for us, either).

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet

janettadine

Good luck!
Janet