PDA

View Full Version : ? for SAHMs w/ childcare help/PT nannys......

muskiesusan
06-02-2005, 09:38 AM
What do you do on the days you have the sitter? Do you stay in the house, or always leave? We have been having a girl come in usually once a week (depending on if DH is travelling 3 days or 5, lol) and it has been a godsend. However, I am finding myself shopping way too much. Yesterday, I wanted to get some cleaning done, but the kids kept finding me, so I was forced to go to the mall, hehe.

I have been running errands in the morning, which leaves some of the afternoon free if we don't have appts, etc. This is the time I am having trouble with! I would really like some time at home, but not sure how to make that happen. I shouldn't be surprised since I have trouble keeping the kids away from DH if he is working at home.

Edited to clarify some things!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan
What do you do on the days you have the sitter? Do you stay in the house, or always leave? We have been having a girl come in usually once a week (depending on if DH is travelling 3 days or 5, lol) and it has been a godsend. However, I am finding myself shopping way too much. Yesterday, I wanted to get some cleaning done, but the kids kept finding me, so I was forced to go to the mall, hehe.

I have been running errands in the morning, which leaves some of the afternoon free if we don't have appts, etc. This is the time I am having trouble with! I would really like some time at home, but not sure how to make that happen. I shouldn't be surprised since I have trouble keeping the kids away from DH if he is working at home.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

chlobo
06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
I have a similar problem. I often want to do computer stuff when the babysitter is here but DD can be challenging. Now that the weather is warm I sometimes try to send them outside in the yard/neighborhood to play (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on the bugs). Alternatively, I've dropped them off at the playground so they could play there, but that takes up valuable time.

Is there a separate place they can play in so you can have some peace? I think that might be your best option.

When all else fails I go out and get exercise since this is also difficult to do with DD.

chlobo
I have a similar problem. I often want to do computer stuff when the babysitter is here but DD can be challenging. Now that the weather is warm I sometimes try to send them outside in the yard/neighborhood to play (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on the bugs). Alternatively, I've dropped them off at the playground so they could play there, but that takes up valuable time.

Is there a separate place they can play in so you can have some peace? I think that might be your best option.

When all else fails I go out and get exercise since this is also difficult to do with DD.

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

chlobo

mamaharsh
06-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I've stopped using my mother's helper for precisely this reason. I really need time in the house to get ready for the next baby, but Nate won't leave me alone if I'm here. A friend and I are going to try trading off watching each other's kids instead...

Is there a park or some place she could take them? That might help.

mamaharsh
I've stopped using my mother's helper for precisely this reason. I really need time in the house to get ready for the next baby, but Nate won't leave me alone if I'm here. A friend and I are going to try trading off watching each other's kids instead...

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

jenmcadams
06-02-2005, 01:35 PM
This was the main reason that one of my requirements for a PT nanny was someone who I trusted to drive Abbie. I have an office in our house where I can shut the door and get some computer time, phone time, etc., but generally our Nanny takes Abbie places. Some of my friends with larger homes/basements/etc. in CO used to have good luck with Mother's Helpers b/c they could hide in different parts of the house, but I now have a such a small house that I wouldn't want to always be home with Abbie and the Nanny. I checked out our Nanny's carseat, driving record, etc. and I originally found her through friends who have used her for years, so I was more comfortable with the driving thing. She takes Abbie to the zoo, park, music class, beach, movies, etc.

I have my Nanny for 12 hrs/week (I do some contract work from home, but mostly it's for my sanity) -- I normally work out or take the dogs to the dog park when she shows up at 7:30 and then they're normally leaving for their morning activity by the time I get back. I normally do projects around the house, work, or computer stuff until mid-AM and then I'll go out and do errands and sometimes meet DH for lunch and then when I get back at 1:30, she's normally putting Abbie down for her nap.

My DH travels and works a lot of hours and I know how lucky I've been to be able to afford this...it's definitely a luxury, but one that I'd have a hard time giving up

jenmcadams
This was the main reason that one of my requirements for a PT nanny was someone who I trusted to drive Abbie. I have an office in our house where I can shut the door and get some computer time, phone time, etc., but generally our Nanny takes Abbie places. Some of my friends with larger homes/basements/etc. in CO used to have good luck with Mother's Helpers b/c they could hide in different parts of the house, but I now have a such a small house that I wouldn't want to always be home with Abbie and the Nanny. I checked out our Nanny's carseat, driving record, etc. and I originally found her through friends who have used her for years, so I was more comfortable with the driving thing. She takes Abbie to the zoo, park, music class, beach, movies, etc.

I have my Nanny for 12 hrs/week (I do some contract work from home, but mostly it's for my sanity) -- I normally work out or take the dogs to the dog park when she shows up at 7:30 and then they're normally leaving for their morning activity by the time I get back. I normally do projects around the house, work, or computer stuff until mid-AM and then I'll go out and do errands and sometimes meet DH for lunch and then when I get back at 1:30, she's normally putting Abbie down for her nap.

My DH travels and works a lot of hours and I know how lucky I've been to be able to afford this...it's definitely a luxury, but one that I'd have a hard time giving up

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

jenmcadams

tiapam
06-02-2005, 09:02 PM
How about going to the library? Even just to read the newspaper or a magazine. You can also use computers at most libraries to surf the Internet, etc.. A lot cheaper than shopping!

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

tiapam
How about going to the library? Even just to read the newspaper or a magazine. You can also use computers at most libraries to surf the Internet, etc.. A lot cheaper than shopping!

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

tiapam

-Pam

trumansmom
06-03-2005, 12:26 AM
I have a college student come over every Saturday for a few hours. If I want to stay home, I send them out. I trust her completely, and just give her the keys to the car and our zoo pass, or money for McDonalds so DS can play on the playground, or send them to a park, or whatever.

When I was on bedrest, we had a younger girl come over to watch Truman on Saturday mornings. It didn't work AT ALL. Truman wouldn't stay with her and was constantly in my room.

If you want to stay home, send them on a walk. :) It's good for everybody.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

trumansmom
I have a college student come over every Saturday for a few hours. If I want to stay home, I send them out. I trust her completely, and just give her the keys to the car and our zoo pass, or money for McDonalds so DS can play on the playground, or send them to a park, or whatever.

When I was on bedrest, we had a younger girl come over to watch Truman on Saturday mornings. It didn't work AT ALL. Truman wouldn't stay with her and was constantly in my room.

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 12:52 AM
My sitter comes Mondays and Thursdays 8-2pm.

I try and schedule my therapy appointments then, go grocery shopping, hit Target and/or Costco, take the dogs to the vet, go to the postoffice, etc.

Basically anything that I would have a hard time doing with the kids.

Sometimes I'm home and just putter around. If I was up late, I might sleep in a bit (it took me a while to lose the guilt over that!). Today I dealt with the ADT repair guy, wrote out bills, then ran to the therapist, followed by the post office and Whole Foods.

I usually save the mall for days when I DON'T have a sitter and need to find something to do to occupy Sophie. I'm planning on going tomorrow ;) :P.

Marisa6826

I try and schedule my therapy appointments then, go grocery shopping, hit Target and/or Costco, take the dogs to the vet, go to the postoffice, etc.

Sometimes I'm home and just putter around. If I was up late, I might sleep in a bit (it took me a while to lose the guilt over that!). Today I dealt with the ADT repair guy, wrote out bills, then ran to the therapist, followed by the post office and Whole Foods.

I usually save the mall for days when I DON'T have a sitter and need to find something to do to occupy Sophie. I'm planning on going tomorrow ;) :P.

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

Marisa6826

mama2galpals
06-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I've had part time sitters on and off over the last few years when I have had freelance work or just when there were tough periods for me. I've found that while one sitter can keep the girls occupied and they jump up and down when she arrives there are others where they are screaming to get into the office or holding onto me when I try to leave.

I've also been on the computer, talked on the phone and taken a nap if i'm home, but usually I go out. I'll schedule hair or nail appt for that time. Alot of times I've gone to B&N to just sit and read and have an iced coffee (without having to sit near the Thomas trains and break up fights over which choo choo each one wants). Also, I've met friends for lunch or shopped for things they don't like like clothing for me (my girls call them mommy stores as in "no mommy stores right?").

I've also had my sitter walk them to the park if I really need it to be quiet if I was working.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

mama2galpals
I've had part time sitters on and off over the last few years when I have had freelance work or just when there were tough periods for me. I've found that while one sitter can keep the girls occupied and they jump up and down when she arrives there are others where they are screaming to get into the office or holding onto me when I try to leave.

I've also been on the computer, talked on the phone and taken a nap if i'm home, but usually I go out. I'll schedule hair or nail appt for that time. Alot of times I've gone to B&N to just sit and read and have an iced coffee (without having to sit near the Thomas trains and break up fights over which choo choo each one wants). Also, I've met friends for lunch or shopped for things they don't like like clothing for me (my girls call them mommy stores as in "no mommy stores right?").

I've also had my sitter walk them to the park if I really need it to be quiet if I was working.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

muskiesusan
06-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Your suggestions are appreciated. It's been 3.5 years since I had any time to myself during the week, I have been at a lost as to what to do! I also need to do things more slowing to take up time, I am so used to breezing through stores.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan
Your suggestions are appreciated. It's been 3.5 years since I had any time to myself during the week, I have been at a lost as to what to do! I also need to do things more slowing to take up time, I am so used to breezing through stores.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04