PDA

View Full Version : Did the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantly work for you?

Karenn
06-02-2005, 10:01 AM
I often recommend the NCSS just because I know what it's like to be desperate for some sleep, and unwilling to do CIO. However, I have to confess, as much as I wanted it to, the No Cry Sleep Solution didn't work for us.

Three years ago when Colin wasn't sleeping, NCSS was new on the market and there weren't a lot of people who had tried it. Still, I encountered a number of people who used it successfully. Now that it's been around for awhile, I'm wondering if people are still having success with it.

Karenn
I often recommend the NCSS just because I know what it's like to be desperate for some sleep, and unwilling to do CIO. However, I have to confess, as much as I wanted it to, the No Cry Sleep Solution didn't work for us.

Three years ago when Colin wasn't sleeping, NCSS was new on the market and there weren't a lot of people who had tried it. Still, I encountered a number of people who used it successfully. Now that it's been around for awhile, I'm wondering if people are still having success with it.

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

murpheyblue
06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
I voted sort of. I liked the book and adopted some one her ideas but never fully implemented her plan with the sleep log, etc. so I can't really say it worked or didn't work for us.

murpheyblue
I voted sort of. I liked the book and adopted some one her ideas but never fully implemented her plan with the sleep log, etc. so I can't really say it worked or didn't work for us.

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

Puddy73
06-02-2005, 11:31 AM
No, but I found the book interesting. I kept a sleep log, tried repeating the "sleepy words" (or whatever she calls them!) and the "Pantley Pull-Off." The sleep log did help me to realize that DD needed way more sleep than she was getting. We ended up doing a modified Weissbluth CIO, which worked really well for my DD.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Puddy73
No, but I found the book interesting. I kept a sleep log, tried repeating the "sleepy words" (or whatever she calls them!) and the "Pantley Pull-Off." The sleep log did help me to realize that DD needed way more sleep than she was getting. We ended up doing a modified Weissbluth CIO, which worked really well for my DD.

Jennifer

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

Puddy73

Jennifer

tarahsolazy
06-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I liked several things, like the sleepy words. I say the same thing right before putting DS in his crib every night, and I sing him a short song. As I start the song, his eyes start fluttering.

I never kept a sleep log.

I think being very proactive, and starting her program before you really need it are probably very useful in succeeding. So many of us let sub-optimal sleep stuff persist for months, until we're completely exasperated.

By the time we did our one night of 29 minutes of Ferber, DH and I were not prepared to undertake a 30-60 day program. Maybe not fair to DS, but that's the truth.

tarahsolazy
I liked several things, like the sleepy words. I say the same thing right before putting DS in his crib every night, and I sing him a short song. As I start the song, his eyes start fluttering.

I think being very proactive, and starting her program before you really need it are probably very useful in succeeding. So many of us let sub-optimal sleep stuff persist for months, until we're completely exasperated.

By the time we did our one night of 29 minutes of Ferber, DH and I were not prepared to undertake a 30-60 day program. Maybe not fair to DS, but that's the truth.

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

tarahsolazy

squimp
06-02-2005, 12:52 PM
It was given to us by friends with a child because it really worked for them. I didn't find it very helpful in the early months. I gave to another friend who was having terrible sleep issues with their toddler. Didn't really help them either.... The bookstore salesclerk laughed and said it was only no cry for the parents, which made me a little mad at the time, but she may have been right.

We never did CIO, but loved Weissbluth. That's the book I recommend over Pantley these days. It was really kind of a kick in the pants for me, about the importance of sleep and routines. It actually pissed me off a little, since it's not very kind and gentle. However, I'm glad I read it early (when DD was about a month old). I think it helped a great deal.

squimp
It was given to us by friends with a child because it really worked for them. I didn't find it very helpful in the early months. I gave to another friend who was having terrible sleep issues with their toddler. Didn't really help them either.... The bookstore salesclerk laughed and said it was only no cry for the parents, which made me a little mad at the time, but she may have been right.

We never did CIO, but loved Weissbluth. That's the book I recommend over Pantley these days. It was really kind of a kick in the pants for me, about the importance of sleep and routines. It actually pissed me off a little, since it's not very kind and gentle. However, I'm glad I read it early (when DD was about a month old). I think it helped a great deal.

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

Karenn
06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I forgot about the "sleepy words!" Those have become so second nature around here that I forgot she even suggested it!

I did end up keeping a lot of Pantly's ideas (sleepy words, routine with Lulabies, sleep log), but I had to let a few of them go. Some of her suggestions would leave Colin *more* hysterical! In the end, it was Weissbluth that really helped us.

"I think being very proactive, and starting her program before you really need it are probably very useful in succeeding. So many of us let sub-optimal sleep stuff persist for months, until we're completely exasperated."

Tarah, you know, it's funny, I could have written that sentence 9 months ago! I was sure that if I did a "better" job, started Claire out with "good" sleep habits and didn't let her become as sleep deprived as DS, we'd have an easy go of it this time around in terms of sleep. Nope! She sleeps mildly better than Colin, but I doubt many would call her a good sleeper! Just reinforced to me how little control we parents really have in the sleep department! (and took away some of my guilt over maybe having screwed things up in the beginning with Colin!)

Karenn
I forgot about the "sleepy words!" Those have become so second nature around here that I forgot she even suggested it!

I did end up keeping a lot of Pantly's ideas (sleepy words, routine with Lulabies, sleep log), but I had to let a few of them go. Some of her suggestions would leave Colin *more* hysterical! In the end, it was Weissbluth that really helped us.

"I think being very proactive, and starting her program before you really need it are probably very useful in succeeding. So many of us let sub-optimal sleep stuff persist for months, until we're completely exasperated."

Tarah, you know, it's funny, I could have written that sentence 9 months ago! I was sure that if I did a "better" job, started Claire out with "good" sleep habits and didn't let her become as sleep deprived as DS, we'd have an easy go of it this time around in terms of sleep. Nope! She sleeps mildly better than Colin, but I doubt many would call her a good sleeper! Just reinforced to me how little control we parents really have in the sleep department! (and took away some of my guilt over maybe having screwed things up in the beginning with Colin!)

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

Karenn

dr mom
06-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I voted yes, sort of. I liked her overall philosophy, but honestly I never fully implemented the program - we didn't keep logs, and our bedtime routine is still not as predictable as I'd like it to be. Since I was too lazy to "do the program" exactly as presented, I can't say whether or not it would have dramatically changed DS's sleep habits. Most nights he sleeps through the night, but he's definitely fighting off bedtime. So maybe I should re-read the book...

dr mom
I voted yes, sort of. I liked her overall philosophy, but honestly I never fully implemented the program - we didn't keep logs, and our bedtime routine is still not as predictable as I'd like it to be. Since I was too lazy to "do the program" exactly as presented, I can't say whether or not it would have dramatically changed DS's sleep habits. Most nights he sleeps through the night, but he's definitely fighting off bedtime. So maybe I should re-read the book...

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

Melanie
06-03-2005, 12:12 AM
LOVE this book. At 9-10 months, it didn't take Ds from 8 night wakings to zero overnight, but it dropped it to 4 within a week and I felt SO human again (and of course, continuing her techniques dropped it to two until he moved to his own bed).

Melanie
LOVE this book. At 9-10 months, it didn't take Ds from 8 night wakings to zero overnight, but it dropped it to 4 within a week and I felt SO human again (and of course, continuing her techniques dropped it to two until he moved to his own bed).

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

ellies mom
06-03-2005, 02:02 AM
We didn't try everything (no sleep logs for me either), but we do some of her ideas. I think it is really important to remember that her ideas are definately not quick fixes. It takes patience and time.

I think if we have a second child we will be more successful at it because quite honestly there are a few things I did not catch on to until really recently. Call me slow, but I never mastered the whole "put down awake but sleepy" thing until a couple of weeks ago.

ellies mom
We didn't try everything (no sleep logs for me either), but we do some of her ideas. I think it is really important to remember that her ideas are definately not quick fixes. It takes patience and time.

I think if we have a second child we will be more successful at it because quite honestly there are a few things I did not catch on to until really recently. Call me slow, but I never mastered the whole "put down awake but sleepy" thing until a couple of weeks ago.

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

wendmatt
06-03-2005, 02:03 AM
I really do think it depends on the baby. I tried it for quite a long time with Emily and it seemed to actually make things worse. Ems was alot like Colin with the sleep. I blamed myself but I really do think it is the baby. My sisters baby slept/ sleeps 7pm-8am and hardly ever wakes up and she didn't do anything different to me. When Ems was a bit older I did use the pull off and it worked really well, but not when she was younger than 15mths. I'm sorry Claire is not a good sleeper, hope she gets better soon.

wendmatt
I really do think it depends on the baby. I tried it for quite a long time with Emily and it seemed to actually make things worse. Ems was alot like Colin with the sleep. I blamed myself but I really do think it is the baby. My sisters baby slept/ sleeps 7pm-8am and hardly ever wakes up and she didn't do anything different to me. When Ems was a bit older I did use the pull off and it worked really well, but not when she was younger than 15mths. I'm sorry Claire is not a good sleeper, hope she gets better soon.

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt

wendmatt